The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Touching dog in AKC test or trial: is it really against the rules?

Quote Originally Posted by Handler Error View Post
    Did you notice I said yet? Besides, I didn't realize it is a requirement to read the rules before you run.

many do not,
    they just bitch monday mornings on the RTF.
    you could say not reading the regulations and guidelines of the game you play...
    is a "Handler Error"
    Last edited by Ken Bora; 09-11-2013 at 09:02 AM. Reason: added a clever dig!!
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Bora View Post
    many do not,
    you could say not reading the regulations and guidelines of the game you play...
    is a "Handler Error"
    I think everyone should read and understand all rules pertaining to the game you play, but I'm not surprised as I expect a lot of people get in the game and learn rules along with some myths from training partners and other old timers in the gallery.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Bora View Post
    many do not,
    is a "Handler Error"
    Good one

Aside from possible threatening gestures, some handlers seem to think it OK to push their dogs to the next mark to be thrown with a knee or they think they can just get away with it. Virtually every trial I judge I have to warn a handler not to push his dog by stepping into the dog. I understand inadvertent touching because the dog is in close proximity but I also understand intentional and the rules don't allow it.
    Last edited by Granddaddy; 09-11-2013 at 07:51 PM. Reason: sp
    David Didier, GA

Quote Originally Posted by Granddaddy View Post
    Aside from possible threatening gestures, some handlers seem to think it OK to push there dogs to the next mark to be thrown with a knee or they think they can just get a way with it. Virtually every trial I judge I have to warn a handler not to push his dog by stepping into the dog. I understand inadvertent touching because the dog is in close proximity but I also understand intentional and the rules don't allow it.

David

I believe that the decision is correct. However, I think that the Rules do not specifically address this situation. Rather, tradition and convention preclude such conduct.

The word "touch" is found only once in the Rule Book on page 31.

25. No handler shall (1) carry exposed any training equipment (except whistle) or use any other equipment or threatening gestures in such a manner that they may be an aid or threat in steadying or controlling a dog; (2) hold or touch a dog to keep him steady; or (3) noisily or frequently restrain a dog on line, except in extraordinary circumstances, from the time the handler signals readiness for the birds to be thrown until the dog’s number is called.

I don't believe that this paragraph explicitly precludes touching of a dog for reasons other than to assist in keeping a dog steady. However, I believe that it is inappropriate behavior and would issue a warning as you do.
    Competition does not build character - It reveals it.

Home of:
    FC/AFC Freeridin Wowie Zowie (2003 NARC Finalist)
    FC/AFC Sky Hy Husker Power
    FC/AFC Freeridin Smooth Operator
    FC/AFC Freeridin Vampire Slayer (2007 NARC Finalist)
    AFC Freeridin Maserati (Double Header Winner)

www.freeridinretrievers.com

Many years ago I was running my first retriever in a AKC test and he came back from one of the marks with a noticeable limp. After taking delivery of the bird I asked the judges if I could check his feet for a cut or thorn and they agreed. They had noticed the limp as well and I think they were glad that I was relaxed enough to allow my test to be stopped so I could inspect my dog for injuries or thorns. I had him lay down, rolled him over and checked him thoroughly. I found nothing. He had only one bird left to retrieve for the day so I brought him back to heel and he finished the test. Before anyone jumps me, I'll say that if he acted like he didn't want to go I wouldn't have sent him. He had been retired from HRC tests for years and I brought him out of retirement to run AKC tests at 9+ years of age, so it was probably just a little tendonitis or sore from taking a bad step.
    ---------------------------------------------
    HRCH "Boomer" MH
    UH HR "Hunter" SH (RIP)

"When you go to a test or a trial, your dog should be underwhelmed." ~ Evan Graham

"It is unreasonable to expect a dog to be more precise than you are." ~ Rex Carr

"You own what you condone." ~ Mike Lardy

My 10 yr. old son was running a dog as junior handle and a judge yelled at him "DON'T TOUCH THE DOG!" when he patted the dog on the head as he was taking the duck. It kind of scared him a little. He continued running test and got his junior handler pin and certificate.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Shih View Post

David

I believe that the decision is correct. However, I think that the Rules do not specifically address this situation. Rather, tradition and convention preclude such conduct.

I don't believe that this paragraph explicitly precludes touching of a dog for reasons other than to assist in keeping a dog steady. However, I believe that it is inappropriate behavior and would issue a warning as you do.

Without commenting on its merits or the lack thereof of the touching your dog thing, I consider this to be another Triditional Embelishment*(do a search). Of which there are way too many to count out there.

john

* a rule change without the benifit of a Rule Change...........
    Last edited by john fallon; 09-11-2013 at 04:42 PM.
    "i guess the old saying 'those of us that think we know everything annoy those of you that does' " --bobbyb 9/13/06

"A Good Dog is a Good Dog"

Quote Originally Posted by Sabireley View Post
    My 10 yr. old son was running a dog as junior handle and a judge yelled at him "DON'T TOUCH THE DOG!" when he patted the dog on the head as he was taking the duck. It kind of scared him a little. He continued running test and got his junior handler pin and certificate.
    and somebody ought to yell at the judge. Sorry your son had to go through that Steve! WTF!
    Darrin Greene

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Shih View Post

David

Actually I think since the intentional touching of a dog in the situation I described aids in controlling the dog (i.e., helps the dog see the next mark) that the rule speaks directly to that situation. After all, steadying a dog is not a end unto itself. The intent (or at least one of the reasons) of steadying is to enable the dog to be more successful in doing the work.
    David Didier, GA