The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Pro training

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Killeen tx
    Posts
    54

    Default Pro training

    Really wanting to finish my dog out he is coming along really good but I know he will be a great finished hunter. Kicking around the idea of getting a loan to have him finished out my a pro I'm a little inexperience to do the advance work what are y'all's opinion?

  2. #2

    Default

    money with a good pro money well spent

  3. #3
    Senior Member Randy Bohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Pa.
    Posts
    357

    Default

    ...DO NOT take out a loan to have your dog trained...go find someone to help you in return to help them with something...get an education in training...if you don't learn how to keep your dog sharp in what he's learned it will go away as will your money invested...Randy
    CHRIS ATKINSON...PLEASE don't QUIT CHANGING MY PROFILE PAGE!!

    "And if you have a golden, bring TWO towels!"

  4. #4
    Senior Member JS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    2,487

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Bohn View Post
    ...DO NOT take out a loan to have your dog trained...go find someone to help you in return to help them with something...get an education in training...if you don't learn how to keep your dog sharp in what he's learned it will go away as will your money invested...Randy
    THIS! Find a pro or a good amateur who will let you throw birds in exchange for an education.

    JS
    “Don’t wave your phony patriotism in MY face! If you really love America, open your wallet and hire an American kid to build what you buy. Think of all our problems that might solve.” Doug Fraser (paraphrased) 1980

    Real Americans buy American.



    Snowshoe's All American Guy SH, UDX, WCX ... CODY ... at the bridge
    CH. Snowshoe's Girl Crazy MH, UD, WCX, SDHF, OS ... PRESLEY
    ...​ at the bridge
    Millpond's Baby Boomer MH*** ... BABE
    Snowshoe's Crazy For Lovin You SH ... NELSON

  5. #5
    Senior Member RookieTrainer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    West Central AL
    Posts
    1,308

    Default

    Money spent with a pro is money well spent, but take the advice and don't take a loan to spend money that has no real possibility of generating a return with which to pay it back.
    Steve Wyatt

    HR Belle's Rolling Big Rig "Jimmy"

  6. #6
    Senior Member Raymond Little's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Lake Charles/Grand Chenier La
    Posts
    1,961

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jarratt08 View Post
    Really wanting to finish my dog out he is coming along really good but I know he will be a great finished hunter. Kicking around the idea of getting a loan to have him finished out my a pro I'm a little inexperience to do the advance work what are y'all's opinion?
    Listen to what everyone is saying; don't spend money you don't have to train a dog. Sweat equity is in demand with most pros. I have walked 3 newbies through the basics and they are better off for the help as am I.
    "Character is doing the right thing when nobody is watching"....J.C. Watts

  7. #7
    Senior Member Scott Shafer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Atlantic Flyway
    Posts
    309

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JS View Post
    THIS! Find a pro or a good amateur who will let you throw birds in exchange for an education.

    JS
    wish you where closer I could use a good bird boy....lol

  8. #8
    Senior Member Rnd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Erie,Pa.
    Posts
    618

    Default

    You have received some very good advice here...


    Save your money 'till you can pay cash........

    "The borrower is slave to the lender"
    May you pin all the marks and line the blinds!!

    Avatar courtesy of RTF"s TZAPPIA

  9. #9
    Senior Member Jay Dufour's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Pine Grove, Louisiana, 70453
    Posts
    2,422

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Little View Post
    Listen to what everyone is saying; don't spend money you don't have to train a dog. Sweat equity is in demand with most pros. I have walked 3 newbies through the basics and they are better off for the help as am I.
    All fine and good until they finish their dog out,title it in hunt tests,and hang their shingle out ,taking dogs out of the market share for a least a period of time ! LOL

  10. #10
    Senior Member HuntinDawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    2,846

    Default

    I agree with what others have said. While I sent my current dog to a pro for a few months after I had done just about all I could with my available time and expertise (or lack thereof) and am very happy that I did, I would NOT go into debt for dog training. Debt is a killer.
    ---------------------------------------------
    HRCH "Boomer" MH
    UH HR "Hunter" SH (RIP)

    "When you go to a test or a trial, your dog should be underwhelmed." ~ Evan Graham

    "It is unreasonable to expect a dog to be more precise than you are." ~ Rex Carr

    "You own what you condone." ~ Mike Lardy

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •