The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Puppy Breeders selling online

Default You were warned. USDA/APHIS adopts rule on home breeding of dogs.

More info as it is available.

I haven't any effective date yet.

----- Forwarded Message -----

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireS...sales-20207528

USDA Cracks Down on Internet Pet Sales

WASHINGTON September 10, 2013 (AP)
    By MARY CLARE JALONICK Associated Press

The Agriculture Department is cracking down on dog breeders who sell puppies over the Internet with new regulations that will force them to apply for federal licenses.

The rules announced Tuesday would subject dog owners who breed more than four females and sell the puppies online, by mail or over the phone to the same oversight faced by wholesale animal breeders.

Many breeders who run their businesses online have skirted federal oversight by classifying themselves as retail pet stores, which are exempt from licensing requirements. Commercial pet stores aren't required to have licenses because buyers can see the animals before they buy them and decide whether they appear healthy and cared for. But that's not the case when buying over the Internet.

The idea behind the new rules, says USDA's Kevin Shea, is that either government inspectors or buyers see the animals with their own eyes before they are sold.

Shea, administrator of the USDA's Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service, says the agency is responding to a 2010 USDA inspector general's report that uncovered grisly conditions at so-called "puppy mills" around the country. The report recommended that the department tighten the animal welfare laws written more than four decades ago, long before the advent of the Internet to cut down on unscrupulous breeders.

In addition to finding dirty, bug-infested conditions at many breeding facilities, inspectors cited numerous reports of buyers who received animals who were sick or dying.

The new rules, first proposed last year, would ensure that most people who sell pets over the Internet, by phone or mail order can no longer do so sight-unseen. Sellers either must open their doors to the public so buyers can see the animals before they purchase them, or obtain a license and be subject to inspections by the Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service.

The rules are targeted to dog breeders but could affect breeders of other animals too. The Agriculture Department estimates that up to 4,640 dog breeders could be affected by the rule, along with about 325 cat breeders and up to 75 rabbit breeders.

Small-size breeders have lobbied against the changes, saying the rules could regulate them out of business. USDA's Shea says the department set the minimum of four breeding females to ensure that those smaller sellers would be able to continue offering puppies.

"People who have generally been thought of as 'hobby breeders' continue to be exempt," Shea said.

Shea said the licenses will cost $750 or less and complying with the USDA regulations should only be expensive for breeders who aren't already ensuring their animals have adequate housing and medical care.

Find Mary Clare Jalonick on Twitter at http://twitter.com/mcjalonick
    Eric

WRC HR Lennoxlove's Run with Wolves JH, WCX ("Cheyenne") ... still so fondly remembered
    HRCh Struan's Devil's in De Tails SH, WCX ("Lucy")
    SR CH Struan's Flight of Fancy JH ("Muse")
    Struan's Master of the Hunt JH, WC ("Charlie")
    Struan's Just Plain Perfect ("Jane")
    Struan's Driving Us Crazy ("Daisy") ... the baby in charge

Default Puppy Breeders selling online

How is this going to affect what we love and do?

http://news.yahoo.com/usda-cracks-do...040225530.html
    John C aka jacduck

Do you really want to increase entries at the Junior Hunt Test level? Simply put a limit on entries and everyone will flock to JR and fight over how to get in and what to change to make it fair for all !!!!!

"Duck hunter's minds are like concrete. All mixed up and permanently set."

Wow. I submitted comments when they were invited; guess they didn't take MY advice!

This is going to hurt some of our top people, breeders who really know the breed and control a lot of bitches through networking. I can only hope that the licensing requirements don't match those of current USDA wholesale breeders, requiring separate kennel buildings with strict engineering standards that would be impossible for most people because of zoning laws.

They say it won't be difficult or expensive to comply; we'll see.

Amy Dahl

This will keep the mass producing breeders in check. I guess the good breeders will have to choose their breeding wisely.
    A cold nose feels good on a hot day.....
    Majestic Oaks Liberty Belle JH

Quote Originally Posted by afdahl View Post
    Wow. I submitted comments when they were invited; guess they didn't take MY advice!

This is going to hurt some of our top people, breeders who really know the breed and control a lot of bitches through networking. I can only hope that the licensing requirements don't match those of current USDA wholesale breeders, requiring separate kennel buildings with strict engineering standards that would be impossible for most people because of zoning laws.

They say it won't be difficult or expensive to comply; we'll see.

Amy Dahl
    The federal government did not listen to over 70,000 other concerned individuals who wrote and signed AKC petitions. Over Four breeding females puts you under this regulation. The initial language was ambiguous on what age is a breeding female. I routinely keep one to two pups annually until two years old until all health clearances can be done and I can evaluate whether the females meet my high standards for future breeding. I could be impacted simply by the age of my younger girls by definition or simply by shipping one pup or even by allowing one pup to be transported via ground transport service. And I only breed 1-2 litters annually.
    Last edited by frontier; 09-10-2013 at 02:10 PM.
    Terrie Tomlinson
    Frontier Retrievers
    HR Five Star Winning Sue SH
    Young Guns: Frontier's True Grit With a Cause "Rooster" and Frontier's Gossip Girl With A Cause "Gabby"
    Boykin Spaniels: Max, Scarlet, Rummy, Jewels, Bella

In Memory:
    HRCH Frontier's Cherokee Rebel MH (5-9-2000 to 12-6-2011)
    Moonstone's Little Girl Found MH (3-20-1998 to 5-2-2008)
    Calebri's Take the Money and Run JH (3-3-2008 to 6-20-2012)

Quote Originally Posted by frontier View Post
    Over Four breeding females puts you under this regulation. The initial language was ambiguous on what age is a breeding female. I routinely keep one to two pups annually until two years old until all health clearances can be done and I can evaluate whether the females are of the quality for breeding. I could easily fall into the category simply by the age of my younger girls by definition or simply by shipping one pup or even by allowing one pup to be transported via ground transport service.
    I said that in one of my comments: that good breeding is SELECTIVE breeding, which by definition means having several brood-bitch candidates around from which you select the best. If they consider those candidates "breeding females," I guess I'll have to insist all puppy buyers show up in person.

Amy Dahl

TODAY 12:45 PM eastern Conference call , sign up is easy

Sent: Monday, September 09, 2013 3:29 PM
    Subject: APHIS Animal Welfare Act Regulatory Update Call

Good afternoon:

Please join APHIS’ Administrator Kevin Shea on a conference call tomorrow, September 10, at 12:45 p.m. EDT for an important Animal Welfare Act regulatory update.

In order to participate on tomorrow’s call, you will need to register in advance. Please click on the link below to provide your name, organization, and email address. Once you’ve submitted your information, you will promptly receive an email that includes the call-in number and a unique conference code to enter the call. This will allow you to immediately join the call rather than waiting for an operator to connect you.

If you would like to make other colleagues aware of the call, please forward them the link below. To avoid any problems connecting to the call, do not share your unique code. The registration link is active now, and I encourage you to register in advance of the call.

https://customer.accuconference.com/Registration/index.aspx?pkRegQG=1dac17d9-9df5-47e7-871f-2513965c6391

Thank you,
    Meghan K. Klingel

Meghan K. Klingel
    Acting Advisor for State and Stakeholder Relations
    Legislative and Public Affairs
    Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service
    U.S. Department of Agriculture
    Last edited by Bridget Bodine; 09-10-2013 at 11:20 AM.
    BB
    Sight To Sea Labradors
    Southern Cross at Sight to Sea SH "Crosby" (by NAFC FC AFC Cody Cut a Lean Grade)
    Tealwood's Willing at Sight to Sea JH ( by CH I am Able)
    Briarglen's Running on Faith JH (by FC Fish River's Out of the Park)
    Glendair's Come Home to the Sea ( By Ch Topform's Edward MH, QAA)
    Sight To Sea's Take Aim SH (by Sight to Sea's Southern Comfort SH )Aug 23 2003-Feb 2013 Go get em , Man!

Manager of www.DeCoverlykennels.com

We all know how well the Federal government works! It will either be too much or not enough. And common sense is certainly out of the question.
    Keep the shotgun barrel warm & the dog's feet wet. www.stricklandskennels.com

The article says, "Sellers either must allow buyers to see animals in person before they purchase them or obtain a license and be subject to inspections by the Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service."

Does this mean they are just allowed or must come see the animals in person? I have not read the regulations.
    Bubba Joiner

HRCH UH Ridgewood's Georgia Dawg (500 point club)
    HRCH Ridgewood's Gold II
    HRCH Hold My Beer & Watch This
    Hope She's A Duk Dawg

Bridget, thanks so much for that link!

I just listened to the call. They said a few things that seem like they might be good.

Breeders/sellers of "working dogs" are exempt
    They expect most breeders to need no structural or operational changes (I don't understand how given that this is a *definition* change, so I would think the existing rules for wholesalers would apply, but that's what they said).
    Buyers do not have to come to breeder's premises to be exempt, but seller, buyer, and animal must all be in the same place at the same time.

They said will post press release after the call--I couldn't access the site but imagine traffic will slow eventually. Link is http://www.aphis.usda.gov .

Amy Dahl