The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Training Video Suggestions

Default Training Video Suggestions

My husband and I are looking for suggestions on training videos... We have an 8 mos. old male Chessie pup. We do have the 10 Min. retriever book and others specific to Chessies and have done a beginning formal obedience class with him, but think a video might be helpful too. We're not thinking of doing hunting trials with him, but would like to train him for duck/goose hunting and maybe agility. In the past, our dogs have been strictly family/ companion dogs (basic obedience) , so this is new territory for us to a degree, so I guess we'd need something for a beginner. Thanks!

Fowl Dogs is a good video. That's what I would recommend if you want a good video.

Russell
    CH Chisholm Trail's Backdraft Bay MH**
    Chisholm Trail's Crossfire Sophie JH**
    "I say goodbye to my weakness, so long to the regrets"

I'm going to have to remember where I post this so I can just copy. But here goes. There are three training programs that are most often talked about on RTF. They are:
    Total Retriever Training 2d Ed. by Mike Lardy
    Smartworks by Evan Graham
    Fowd Dawgs by Rick S.

I personally use TRT. Note he is a RTF sponsor. See his banner at the top of the page. Some first time trainers find Smartworks the easiest to follow. I believe Fowl Dawgs is the cheapiest.

There is lots of information about these three programs on RTF. If you do a search you will get lots of information.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll look into those. Does anybody know offhand, if the trainers in those videos actually train Chessies?

My 2 dogs are chessies. The steps are the same no matter what the breed. Just have to do more teaching with chessies. I have owned smartworks and TRT. I like the TRT stuff better but the smartworks stuff is good for beginners. It does a good job of explaining the steps for a person that is new to the game. But if your looking for a good video series to train a companion and hunting dog the smartworks and Fowl Dogs are good choices. You do not have to have a chessie specific training program because they are all Carr based systems and can be applied to all retriever breeds. Just have to tailor the program to the dog.

Russell

Russell
    CH Chisholm Trail's Backdraft Bay MH**
    Chisholm Trail's Crossfire Sophie JH**
    "I say goodbye to my weakness, so long to the regrets"

@Huff - Thanks! I guess I was assuming that the people who make up these videos would've each had their own training systems. If they're all similar, I can see how that would be easy to tailor to the dog. I've read a couple of websites and books that were pretty old school, where the advice was pretty much " hit the dog with a training stick " if he doesn't do what you want. That advice would not work with my chessie. If you over correct him, he sulks and ignores you completely.

Ken Bora has chessies and uses TRT. Maybe he'll jump in give you some guidance. If not you might pm him
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

ChessieMom, Good for you for looking for things to do with your young dog. Smart, energetic retrievers need mental and physical activity. For obedience, consider moving beyond basic obedience and training for obedience and/or rally trials. Janice Gunn (who is an outstanding trainer in both obedience and hunt tests and field trials) has a series of obedience videos. Connie Cleveland is another outstanding trainer for OB and hunt/field. She has a book (Dogs are Problem Solvers, or something like that) and a series of OB and hunt test training videos on her Dog Trainer Workshop website. If you've never seen an OB trial, find one near you by using the AKC web site Event section.

Retrieving is what chessies were bred to do. Consider going to a hunt test and watching before you decide you don't want to do hunt tests. Training for hunt tests will make your dog a better hunting companion. I am a newbie to hunt training. (My first love is OB.) I'm been completely blown away by how much my Golden Retriever LOVES hunt training (and hunting). You can find a list of hunt tests on EntryExpress. (BTW, hunt tests are non-competitive; the dog is tested against a standard that depends on the level the dog is at, from Junior, to Senior, to Master. Field Trials are highly competitive and not generally for a beginner.)

For hunt test training, you've gotten all the good video suggestions above. I also like a book called Training Retrievers for Marsh and Meadow (by Jim Spence, I think). Training methods have vastly improved since Spence, but it's a great read that helps put the training in perspective.

As for agility, it depends on your Chessie. Chessies tend to be stout, heavy-bodied dogs, which is not the ideal build for agility. I have co-chaired/assisted with our club agility trial for years. I see people running heavy dogs, and some of the dogs are good at it and seem to enjoy it, while others lumber around and don't look very happy at all. Unless you have a lightly-built, very agile chessie with quick reactions that loves to jump, I'd look for something else. (Just my NSHO.)
    Kelly Cassidy (person)

HR Maple Cassidy CDX JH RE (golden retriever)
    Alder Cassidy CDX RE (standard poodle chipmunk chaser)
    plus whacked-out weird Burka (elderly mix-breed rescue girl)

Quote Originally Posted by PalouseDogs View Post
    As for agility, it depends on your Chessie. Chessies tend to be stout, heavy-bodied dogs, which is not the ideal build for agility. I have co-chaired/assisted with our club agility trial for years. I see people running heavy dogs, and some of the dogs are good at it and seem to enjoy it, while others lumber around and don't look very happy at all. Unless you have a lightly-built, very agile chessie with quick reactions that loves to jump, I'd look for something else. (Just my NSHO.)
    I wouldn't rule out agility! My impression is that Chesapeakes are well suited to agility--they are fast, strong, agile, competitive, and love the challenge of learning and doing the obstacles and jumps. Even the big Chesapeakes tend to be quick and agile, not lumbering. I have not done agility but I bred a multi-titled agility Chesapeake, who ran the Purina Incredible Dog Challenge and was the only non-Border Collie to finish in the top 5 (Oak Hill Hurricane Georgie, sorry agility people, I can't remember all her titles). My 12-year-old took his Peake to dog camp this past summer, and in two weeks had her doing all the obstacles. Nothing intimidated her; she thought it was all fun--teeter, chute, table, you name it.

Bill Hillmann has Chesapeake experience. He trained Ironwood's Stone E Cubs.

Amy Dahl

Quote Originally Posted by afdahl View Post
    and in two weeks had her doing all the obstacles. Nothing intimidated her; she thought it was all fun--teeter, chute, table, you name it.

Amy Dahl
    This is exactly why we are thinking about trying agility with him! He's loved doing all those types of things since the time he was a baby. When he was just 2-3 mos. old, he'd get bored retrieving in our hallway, so we got out our kids play tunnel, and he'd run through the tunnel for his retrieves both ways. Loved it. He also loved climbing in the baby's exersaucer and rocking it back and forth ... He's fast too, definitely not a lumberer, lol. Also, agility isn't just about winning, but about whether or not the dog enjoys what he's doing, and whether it's giving him the mental stimulation he needs. He likes to retrieve, but he does get bored with it....definitely not like my FIL's lab who will retrieve the same ball until he almost collapses...