The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 11 y.o , sudden onset full lameness

Default 11 y.o , sudden onset full lameness

The latest upset here, is my 11 yr old girl, Tommie broke with sudden onset of full body lameness today. Yesterday, I noticed she wasnt feeling 100%, a little diarrhea, but full appetite etc. Just "off" in her gait a little. Today I noticed she moved more lame, but couldnt determine if it was front or rear. This afternoon, she can barely move, very sore, almost wobbly upon getting up. I vetted her this afternoon, no obvious joint pain, he flexed all limbs and got no pain response. He suggested possible neck trauma. I almost wonder if its spinal, as well,(and in fact suggested it). She's not done anything different , same routine, no major traumas to my knowledge unless a wild hooligan plowed into her, although I'd see that.
    My vet doesnt freak out about things, hes very conservative and doesnt jump to all kinds of $$ treatments right away,but if he's concerned about something he will perform diagnostix accordingly. It was after the lab picks up, when I had her in today, so too late for any blood draw . He gave her a shot of Rimadyl, and Adequan. He is optimistic that this will help dramatically..Said if she is not better by Monday, he wants to do xrays and labwork. She has had "Addisons Disease" since she was 4 and has been treated monthly . Not due for her rx til the 15th.

Do some of the old dogs Suddenly just go DOWN like this? Its scary to me and I"m trying not to get all shook up , but I (dont we all???) tend to jump to scary conclusions. I am not ready for this again, many of you know , I put a 2 yr old girl down three weeks ago from brain disease.... Pretty scary to think of something else going wrong here so soon... the tears are still flowing from little Jesse girl.... Any suggestions /experience? I've not seen an old dog just go Down overnight like this....
    HOME OF:
    Waterspook Sables Dark Secret, MH (Sable)
    Trumarcs Bankshot Bandit, MH ( Fats)
    Waterspook Tomfoolery, SH ( Tommie)
    IN MEMORY OF::
    Waterspook Bankshot Whiz Bang,JH (Jesse)
    Waterspooks Girl Named Bill, SH ( Billie- my princess.....)
    Waterspook Kickin' Gunshot, SH ( Boom)
    Waterspook Kickin' Good Time MH(Kick)
    Waterspooks Partner In Crime, SH ( Bouncer)
    Brush Creek Waterspook, JH, WC- my first girl.(Spooky)

So sorry Karen. I can't help much w/ info on this one.... just prayers.

Currently middle of the "Great" Plains- Ord NE

Had a young dog (less than 3yrs old) do this, I thought that he may have fallen off of his dog house and broke/injured his spine. He went from running around to paralyzed within 12 hrs. Come to find out, he had three tiny little seed ticks in the head/neck region. They were the cause of the paralysis and once we picked them off, he was walking out the vets door and was able to jog around our yard at home 15 min later, lifting his leg on everything. He to started out by losing weight, I just chalked it up to us cutting back on the winter ration since it was getting a lot warmer out and we were working the dogs in anticipation for hunt tests.
    Let me tell you, it is VERY hard to find those little suckers (all puns intended) on a woolly coated 90lb chocolate lab!
    Raina Anderson WWW.FIREHOUSELABS.COM

According to this BMI chart, I am too short !!!

Had you been out for a long walk or training session yesterday? Our older dog Flash (12 y) will sometimes show some symptoms of slow/lame movement the day after what seems to be 'normal' activity. Most of the time, the next day after that there are little or no symptoms. We do sometimes treat w/Rimadyl if exertion is the cause.

It is hard seeing them get older, and less able to handle all the activity.
    -=#David

Well, this started off as a really interesting thread. Too bad we couldn't keep it that way. (Rick_C 2009, Classic RTF)
    __________________________________________________ _
    Take what you get and thank them (the Judges) afterwards no matter what the outcome. (Moira Sheehan)

I'm not a vet but if it were my dog I would suspect a tick born illness
    Jeannie Greenlee

Blazinlakes Legally Blonde CDX JH NAJ RA WC OD (1st Retriever)
    HRCH Smokingold Guns Up CCA WCX CD MH
    https://sites.google.com/site/smokingoldretrievers/home

Banned

I'm thinking "seed ticks" as well.

Any chance it could be meningitis? My friend's lab went from a big goof ball one day to completely paralyzed the next. Either way prayers for a quick recovery.
    Steph

Brittany - Border Collie/Springer Spaniel CGC
    Meka- Basset/Aussie
    Zoe's Taller N Me - Zoe Irish Wolfhound 9/04/2004 - 11/20/2013 I love you Big Girl!
    Ember Raise The Bar CGC - Corona (a fluffy)
    Embers Aint Misbehavin - Flirt (Corona's mini me)

A good friend helps you up when you fall. A best friend pees their pants laughing and trips you again!

Hemangiosarcoma can hit fast like that. One day they are normal, next a little sick, don't want to eat, and the next thay can barely get up. Just lost Katie, an 8-year old setter like that today, and Wednesday morning she was fine. Lost my 12-year old Golden that way a month ago, though Cutter took a week to fail that far.

I hope I'm wrong, but wobbly can be lack of oxygen from all the blood loss if it is hemangiosarcoma.
    Chuck

I've seen that happen to dogs with tick borne diseases, I would suggest a full Idexx tick panel (not just the SNAP4DX done in the vet's office). Sounds a lot like Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever.

Barb Gibson
    with
    CH Rosewood Little Giant UDX VER RA SH MXP MJP XFP T2BP VCX WCX CCA CGC FFX-OG
    also UCH HR UUD UJJ URO1 UHIT
    (golden retriever) born 3-10-07
    a.k.a. "Tito", "The Tito Monster"
    www.GoTeamTito.com

You should check out the tick thing, but it could be an injury or rupture of a neck vertebrae which is not that uncommon in older dogs. My friends' dog had it. He was given inflammatories and pain pills and she had to watch that he wasn't thrown any bumpers because sudden movements could trigger the swelling again. I think she had to ice him down if he did something self inflicted. It sounds like the vets treatment should relieve it. How is she today?
    He did live for a number of years like that and died of something else

http://www.sniksnak.com/doghealth/degen-disk.html

http://www.animalhealthcare.com/hand...gs/wobbler.htm
    Nancy P

"We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made." M.Facklam