The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Ben Carson Again

Default Ben Carson Again

I found this on YouTube ... March 2013 at the Conservative Political Action Committee
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiyAW5ZMdcM

If you liked his prayer breakfast speech, you'll like this one.

I could easily vote for a Cruz/Carson ticket. Two highly intelligent people with a heart; who have known struggle and worked hard when opportunity came their way.

I've heard interesting commentaries on how Democrats win people over by emotional appeals, and Republicans try to win with facts or statistics. This struck me when, in this speech, Carson spoke of how he found it offensive that some "elite" class would "distribute" things to him ...

In the strickly proportional flat tax, he mentions ... paraphrasing ... one guy puts $1 billion into the pot; the other guy puts $1 into the pot, but BOTH of them get the SAME rights. That's a bargain for the guy who puts in $1! He carries it to the next step ... when the govt wants to raise taxes, EVERYbody has skin in that game. The fellow who's putting in $1 is going to oppose more taxes as much as the fellow putting in $1 billion Everyone has a vested interest in govt's fiscal responsibility.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

I came across another long speech (over an hour) by Ben Carson. He was speaking at what appeared to be a conference for a company that makes nutritional supplements, called Mannatech.

This speech appears to have been made about 2004, and you can see that he looks much younger in the video. I can understand why he was cautioned "not to offend the President" at the prayer breakfast. He has had these ideas of his for many years; and he has spoken about them publicly before as well ... as far back as 2004; and also in the interview with the Penn State program that goes back three years.

These beliefs of his, even back then, included things to make health care "simpler" and to incorporate more individual responsibility in health care spending. Something, I must have missed before, is that he seems to favor govt support for catastrophic health care insurance (similar to flood insurance?); more emphasis on preventive care; and using "clinics" more effectively for something like Medicaid. He suggests a "debit card" that works like SNAP, insofar, as the individual would have a limited amount to spend on health issues each month. I get the impression that it would be like a HSA in that the person might be able to carry the amounts forward from an un-used month to use when a more serious problem occurs in a subsequent month. The individual would be responsible for "budgeting" their stipend.

He is in favor, overall, in eliminating as much of the bureaucracy as much as possible. If a physician frauds the system, he believes in VERY stringent penalties: losing their license forever; 10 years in prison; and also surrender of their assets. His position is that no physician would want to pay such huge penalties. I'm sure that outline could be subject to modification, while still remaining stringent enough to truly deter fraud by physicians.

How did he come to speak at a nutritional supplement convention? Prior to 2004 (the time of this speech), he had been diagnosed with prostate cancer. His MRI indicated that the cancer had spread considerably. Later, when they did the surgery, they found that what appeared to be cancerous lesions on his spine, were actually a congenital bone disorder, and not part of the cancer. So, for a period of time, between diagnosis and surgery, he believed he had very little time left to live. He was given this supplement, and found that his urinary symptoms abated.

However, being the logical person he is, he could not make himself abandon traditional medicine. He had surgery, and the cancer was found to be very limited, and, as we can see, he is a cancer survivor. So, his message was that traditional medicine and nutritional support can be complimentary, and he continues to take those nutritional supplements. You can look up the company on the Internet.

During this health crisis, he remarks about getting well wishes from many people. He mentions among them "President & Mrs. Bush". It's not entirely clear whether that was George or H.W., but he got his Freedom Medal in 2008, which would have been George. (Amazing, George Bush gives a Freedom Medal to Carson; and Obama gives one to Bill Clinton!)

He also spent some time in relating instances when he believed prayer entered into the results on some of his cases. He talked about God's influence on the founding fathers. Paraphrasing, on the issue of forbidding any talk of God in a public way: The founding fathers prayed at the Constitutional Convention. Our money says "In God we Trust". God is mentioned on many public buildings. In spite of this, we now are told we must not talk about God in school, or in govt. In psychiatry they have a name for that: schizophrenia.

When in med school, he had started out intending to be a psychiatrist. Then he examined what part of medicine might use his natural talents best. When looking back on his life to see where his own natural abilities lay ... he took into account that in college he was the foozball champion ... his basic eye/hand coordination was evident in that skill.

He also mentioned how, before his parents divorced, his mother had scrimped and saved, and his parents had bought a couple of investment properties. However, his father's behavior caused them to lose all they had. He believes if his father had not gone into his self-destructive behaviors, his parents, because of his mother's good sense, would have become wealthy.

This is a very interesting man. The more one learns about him, the more interesting, and down-to-earth he becomes.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Ben Carson commented on the Syrian situation. Just logical stuff.
    When I faced difficult surgical decisions, I used to perform something called a best-worst analysis. This is explained in some detail in my book “Take the Risk,” but basically involves asking four questions:
    1. What’s the best thing that happens if I do it?
    2. What’s the worst thing that happens if I do it
    3. What’s the best thing that happens if I don’t do it?
    4. What’s the worst thing that happens if I don’t do it?

If one thoughtfully answers these questions, it is pretty easy to see that the worst things could be catastrophic not only in the Middle East, but could trigger World War III. In light of that possibility, the argument that America must act to avoid the appearance of a paper tiger seems trite. I certainly am not advocating ignoring what has happened in Syria, but I think it would be wise to support the move to place Syria’s chemical-weapons stockpile under international control and explore other non-military options, such as a financial boycott. These are things that could and should fall under the purview of the United Nations, which at some point needs to justify its existence. (Guess he has some reservations about how effecitve the UN really is.)

When this crisis is over and before the next one starts, we need to clarify our goals not only in the Middle East, but around the world. These should not be partisan issues; we cannot afford to change our goals with each administration. We must also not waste this opportunity to learn important lessons. We do not need to draw red lines in the sand that telegraph our intentions. Rather, we need leaders whose foreign policy is guided by America’s best interests, rather than their own political motives.

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...#ixzz2ebBdD7AJ
    We really do need to focus on this:
    we cannot afford to change our goals with each administration

When each POTUS relies more on politics than logic to formulate their policy, they can fail to realize that those policies should be usable in the future. If that is not a consideration, then the US surely appears as an untrustworthy ally.

Basically, when you think about it, that is what Israel has always done ... been guided by what is there own nation's interests. Nobody has to second-guess how Israel will react to a situation when they understand that is their primary policy. They will stand down when that is in their best interest; and they will not stand down when it is not in their best interest. They did a surgical airstrike on Syria without fanfare or apology ... nor was their retribution.

Obviously, Russia and Syria understood their goal and did not view the action as unexpected or out of character; nor did they jump the gun to assume Israel would escalate the military action beyond what it required to protect its own immediate interests.

Whatever one's feelings on Israel, I think we can all say that they understand their enemies a lot better than we do.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com