The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Obedience question

Default Obedience question

I am currently working on obedience with my pup we started about a month ago following Duck Dog Basics. He has picked up on everything really fast and I only have to make a few corrections when working on heel now but when we are not training he doesn't obey heel. In the video he collar conditions on heel and here as soon as the dog fully understands the commands while on the lead. So my question, is this where CC comes into play or should I continue working him on the lead until he will do it whenever I give him the command? I don't want to move to CC if he is not ready and this is my first dog to train and I don't want to move on unless I know he is ready.

What would you do if you were not going to continue with field training of the dog .? If for only OB training you would naturally go to CC'ing at this point....So I see no problem with doing it at this time...Some wait until they can add other commands to the process so all get done at one time...My concern would be if the dog is mature enough to take the pressure of doing it...Steve S
    "Your dog learns as much by doing his work right,by your praise and encouragement, as he does by your displeasure and correction." DLWalters

He is 6 months and on the video right after he finishes CC he goes into FF my pup is still teething so I still have a little bit before I can start that. I may continue with the obedience until he is finished teething then go into CC so I can make sure he is ready and mature enough to do it.

Sounds like a good plan ...good luck with the training ....Steve S
    "Your dog learns as much by doing his work right,by your praise and encouragement, as he does by your displeasure and correction." DLWalters

Just make sure your not moving forward to soon with new commands. Get the basics down real solid first. Move to fast, teaching to many things in to short of a time and he will get confused. Don't forget dogs need to be taught the same command in numerous places. Just because he knows "Heel" in your yard does not mean he will know "heel" at the park. After all, he is only 6 months old. Don

Quote Originally Posted by Don Lietzau View Post
    Just make sure your not moving forward to soon with new commands. Get the basics down real solid first. Move to fast, teaching to many things in to short of a time and he will get confused. Don't forget dogs need to be taught the same command in numerous places. Just because he knows "Heel" in your yard does not mean he will know "heel" at the park. After all, he is only 6 months old. Don
    Great point! My question is what are you doing in training that you are not doing when you are not training? A lot of times people will do an excellent job in training and when not let things drop off. You have to enforce the rules no matter where you are or what you're doing.
    OWNED BY:
    Longhorn Lacey's Boomerang "Boomer"
    Brio's Jollycurl to Bravo First Over Under SH WCQ "Parker"
    Brio's Bravo to the Lookout "Cora"

Kyle Crump

Quote Originally Posted by Don Lietzau View Post
    Dogs are situational learners. Learning in one place may not carry over and you may feel you are starting all over again.
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83047
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83051

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

Thanks for all the replies after reading I realize when we are not in a formal training session I am guilty of trying to test the dog and not correcting him if he doesn't perform the command correctly. I will start making sure to enforce any command I give him no matter what we are doing also I am going to start working on the commands in places other than my backyard. Thanks again for the help

If you're still making corrections on leash, he really doesn't understand "heel". More time, more places, gradually make your requirements more specific... he'll get there, but IMO you're expecting far too much from him. If he can't get to heel and stay in heel without cuing off your body language (arm motion to the left side, leash pull to heel, side-step to guide him, etc) he doesn't know what "heel" is. When he can work off verbal commands without body language in multiple places with distractions - then he knows it.

Also, there's a big difference in a dog's mind between starting in heel and staying in heel position - and coming to heel position from another place. The first is easy - I can "fake" a really nice off-leash heel with a green dog that isn't solid and doesn't really understand the concept. The second is tougher.

Think about what you want from the word "heel." Heel is a place, a position in relation to YOU. Heel is not a sit, a down, or a stand - but if you stop walking you do expect a sit. In the obedience ring, there are times that I want my dog to heel going over a jump, stop and stand in heel position, etc, etc. Think about what you want it to mean in your dog's mind and how to get across to him where he's expected to be and what to do when the situation changes (you turn, stop, a distraction presents itself, etc).

Last piece of advice - make sure you have a release word. You cannot expect him to know what "heel" is if there isn't a distinction in his mind between a structured heel and loose-leash walking or off-leash playtime.
    ~Your decisions are only as good as the information you base them on~

Lijah UD GO VER RE TDI CGC ASCA-CD (5/10 UDX, 138/200 OM1 pts, 9/100 OTCH pts)
    Boaz JH CD CGC
    Brie CD CGC
    Zen CDX (1/4 JH, 1/3 GO, 1/3 VER passes)

Don't even worry about teaching your 6 month old pup to heel. You want your pup to go, go, go. Just put him on a leash, or drag a rope.

Too many advocate too much obedience in pups.

Be sure and get the go in him first. It's easy to make them stop later.
    John Lash

"If you run Field Trials, you learn to swallow your disappointment quickly."

"Field trials are not a game for good dogs. They're for great dogs with great training." E. Graham