The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Field Trial Dog Life Part 2

Default Field Trial Dog Life Part 2

The Field Trial Dog Life thread got me thinking and raised a question. I have never used a trainer / pro but my question is....how much time (daily) do pros spend with each dog on their truck in training? I am just curious how that time spent correlates with the time I spend on daily training with my dog.

Thanks

GW

Funny that you have 99+ views and no replies

The only correct answer you'll get here is the RTF time honored "it depends." Seriously you would have to ask your prospective pro.

I had my dog with a pro for a few months and the man worked his tail off. He had a large number of dogs in training but he would typically get in 3 set ups per day. Now, how many minutes of actual training per day was that per dog? Not a lot, but the results were great.

EDIT: This was hunt test training BTW. I don't know how much the answer would vary for field trial training. I know some of the field trial set ups would take a lot longer to run due to greater distances, longer swims, etc., but I don't know whether or not they would typically get 3 set ups in per day or not. It really doesn't matter as long as the dog progresses, is well exercised and well cared for IMO.
    Last edited by HuntinDawg; 09-11-2013 at 12:09 PM.
    ---------------------------------------------
    HRCH "Boomer" MH
    UH HR "Hunter" SH (RIP)

"When you go to a test or a trial, your dog should be underwhelmed." ~ Evan Graham

"It is unreasonable to expect a dog to be more precise than you are." ~ Rex Carr

"You own what you condone." ~ Mike Lardy

I started thinking about my question last night and had only read up to about post 30 on the original thread. After reading the rest of the thread I can see how some may take this as stirring the pot. That really is not my intention. I have a four month old pup from a FT breeding that I am considering sending to a trainer vs training myself. I have trained multiple dogs but not to FT levels and I know that I would be potentially holding him back. With three kids and a wife, he is a family member and gets way too much attention.

I am sincerely curious as to how much time daily a trainer spends with each dog.

It's not about the quantity, it's about the quality.

My dogs get about 3 solid setups a day with my Pro, but it also depends on many other factors just how much "personal" attention they get - my young one going through basics gets more because he gets yard work too.

When my dogs are home, we are lucky to get in a set of marks and blinds 3-4 times a week. And very, very lucky to get live birds (that will change as we have moved to new property which we can train and shoot birds on).

Edit: My dogs love my Pro, even my retired guy when we go up to train, he always tries to sneak over and say "Hi" to her and attempts to get ear scratchings. Plus he will want to run into her airing yard and check things out, he will even check out his old run, but of course I get ready to leave and he is hot on my tail (he is a Momma's boy after all). But all my dogs love being with my Pro - they like the routine, they like the training, they like her. I have no worries that my dogs aren't well cared for.
    Last edited by FOM; 09-11-2013 at 12:18 PM.
    "You can't eat a pig whole, but you can eat a whole pig." - Joe S.

Proudly Owned By:
    MHR HR Flash Of Mischief SH CD CGC - Flash (10/15/98 - 10/8/12)
    Lightning Fast Quack Attacker*** - Bullet
    Gotta Heart Of A Warrior - Ranger (12/26/07 - 8/10/2010)
    SML's Gettin' Sexy With It*** - Tango
    FOM's Raising a Ruckus in the Rockies - Riot

Quote Originally Posted by GW10 View Post
    I started thinking about my question last night and had only read up to about post 30 on the original thread. After reading the rest of the thread I can see how some may take this as stirring the pot. That really is not my intention. I have a four month old pup from a FT breeding that I am considering sending to a trainer vs training myself. I have trained multiple dogs but not to FT levels and I know that I would be potentially holding him back. With three kids and a wife, he is a family member and gets way too much attention.

I am sincerely curious as to how much time daily a trainer spends with each dog.
    I to am very curious, not because I can afford a pro, but just in comparison. I know I have spent way longer on training my pup then a pro would have to, I get that.
    Just curious how much time it takes to achieve their goals with the dogs, cuz I certainly know how many hours I feel Ive spent trying to figgur my training problems out.

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

I just got my dog back from a pro. He loves it like a kid loves Disney World. Birds EVERY SINGLE DAY!!!

As for the time with each dog, probably not more than 15-30 minutes a day, or the amount of time that you would be spending on training every day if the dog was home. It's the different setups and grounds (particularly technical water), plus the experience and consistency that pros train with, that makes the difference. My dog probably got in 3 months this summer what I would have taken 6-9 months at least to do.

The Field Trial Dog Life thread got me thinking and raised a question. I have never used a trainer / pro but my question is....how much time (daily) do pros spend with each dog on their truck in training? I am just curious how that time spent correlates with the time I spend on daily training with my dog.

Thanks

GW
    Steve Wyatt

HR Belle's Rolling Big Rig "Jimmy"

Quote Originally Posted by RookieTrainer View Post
    I just got my dog back from a pro. He loves it like a kid loves Disney World. Birds EVERY SINGLE DAY!!!

As for the time with each dog, probably not more than 15-30 minutes a day, or the amount of time that you would be spending on training every day if the dog was home. It's the different setups and grounds (particularly technical water), plus the experience and consistency that pros train with, that makes the difference. My dog probably got in 3 months this summer what I would have taken 6-9 months at least to do.
    What did your dog do for the other 23.5 hrs each day?

How would he know, he wasn't there. Probably aired 3-4 times, on and off the truck a few times, in and out of the kennel, etc. The same things dogs do anywhere. If your heart can't take knowing your dog isint sleeping on the couch all day long then maybe you should buy a mini horse. They are dogs, not children and they are very adaptable. I have a dog that has spent a total of about 9 months with a pro. If he could talk he would say its much more fun over there in Georgia. I get trained 5 days a week, 3 times a day and sleep the rest of the time. At my house he sleeps more and trains less.
    Quote Originally Posted by pcarpenter View Post
    What did your dog do for the other 23.5 hrs each day?

Its not how much time but the quality of the work they get. 5 days of consistent work weekly adds up in a hurry. On top of that it is well thought out training and everything flows. A good pro will double or triple my output in less time.