The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Field Trial Dog Life Part 2

Not to mention the opportunity to watch your pro run the other 19 dogs and ask a ton of questions about what he is doing and why. Plus having the other owners show up and let you pick their brains about certain things. It has been a great experience for me. I hope I can send my dog at least a couple more summers.

Quote Originally Posted by John Lash View Post
    Another thing you "get for free" using a Pro. Your dog knows how to be a dog. It knows how to interact with other dogs and maybe the most important to ignore other dogs going to the line and when on honor.

They get tied out and learn to relax in an exciting situation. They see drag back every day, a couple times a day.

And a lot of other things that you'd need 20 dogs to replicate.
    Steve Wyatt

HR Belle's Rolling Big Rig "Jimmy"

If a dog starts serious training at 6 months and runs until he is 8-9 years old and you send the dog away 6 months a year you are probably at least 3 years ahead in his training than if you did it yourself, unless you are retired and very serious. Maybe even more than that.

I realized that what I can do in about a month of evenings and weekends a pro can do in a little over a week. What I can do in a summer he can do in a month and a half.
    John Lash

"If you run Field Trials, you learn to swallow your disappointment quickly."

"Field trials are not a game for good dogs. They're for great dogs with great training." E. Graham

I would guess the answer would be that the time per day devoted to each dog on the truck varies. Each dog progresses at a different rate so some need more time per day than others do. Today my son and I trained for about 2 hours with 5 dogs but we didn't devote 24 minutes to each dog.

You can spend 24/7 with your dog but it won't make him or her a FC.

Lonnie Spann
    Last edited by Lonnie Spann; 09-11-2013 at 11:32 PM.
    DISCLAIMER: The above post is the opinionated and biased view of your's truly, Lonnie Spann, and is in no way intended to reflect the opinions or views of the unfortunate individuals named below who just happen to be doomed with guilt by association.

Member of CAHRC and North AL HRC. I train with AND AM FRIENDS WITH: Fishduck, Laidback, Splash_Em, RF2, Drake2014, Claimsadj, Hooked on Quackers, RookieTrainer and Roseberry.

HRCH Spann's Quacker Jack "Jack" 500 Pt. Club (New & IMPROVED jacket).

One thing not mentioned is time of yr and where pro is located. I'm in NC and don't go north due to working at "regular job" I work shift work and only work 14 days a month and half of those are nights so I still train everyday just somedays is mornings some days it evenings and some days all day. In the summer in NC I'm usually done by 9:30 because of the heat. In the sprng and fall I'll go all day on my off days and half a day on the days I work nights at the plant. Typical day for me when off and not 90 deg goes like this. Up and outside by 7am. I have dogs at all levels so I try to train in groups. young dogs first,OB FF FTP. Then it's off to the field for marks with everybody. Then I will do swimby before lunch if I have any there at the time. After lunch I usually FF again and some OB and then marks again. I usually finish up around 6 or 7 pm and clean kennels and feed. In the house by dark hopefully. All in all depending on level of dog I'll say 30 to 45min per dog,some more some less. The only time I feel like I'm not doing enough is when I'm working day shift and only have time to do a little OB before dark. After doing this for several yrs I have found my dogs respond better and seem to make the most progress following my day shift which is only 3 to 4 day at most and they have had a little break. Winter time is a little different and I have flood lights to FF and do OB in the evening after working days. I'm usually only working 8 to 10 dogs so I don't have the big load some have. Works for me and everybody is happy with their dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by duk4me View Post
    Yes, yes they do sleep on couches.
    I love you, Tim Bockman. I really really love you...

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer Henion View Post
    I love you, Tim Bockman. I really really love you...
    Oh its just puppy love. You don't even know how to spell my last name.
    I have learned I need these dogs much more than they need me. Tim Bockmon

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie Spann View Post
    You can spend 24/7 with your dog but it won't make him or her a FC.
    I forgot you had seen me train a few times. #thetruthhurts
    Steve Wyatt

HR Belle's Rolling Big Rig "Jimmy"

Quote Originally Posted by FOM View Post
    It's not about the quantity, it's about the quality.

My dogs get about 3 solid setups a day with my Pro, but it also depends on many other factors just how much "personal" attention they get - my young one going through basics gets more because he gets yard work too.

When my dogs are home, we are lucky to get in a set of marks and blinds 3-4 times a week. And very, very lucky to get live birds (that will change as we have moved to new property which we can train and shoot birds on).

Edit: My dogs love my Pro, even my retired guy when we go up to train, he always tries to sneak over and say "Hi" to her and attempts to get ear scratchings. Plus he will want to run into her airing yard and check things out, he will even check out his old run, but of course I get ready to leave and he is hot on my tail (he is a Momma's boy after all). But all my dogs love being with my Pro - they like the routine, they like the training, they like her. I have no worries that my dogs aren't well cared for.
    This is a major problem. Most of the time Am's don't have the grounds alone to get in the quality, much less the same quanity with life's events going on.
    Kendall Layne

HR(2xHRCH) Ashland's Big Black Ruby to Go SH
    Dorie's Lady of the Lake(1K bird club)

Never play leap frog with a unicorn.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce MacPherson View Post
    Was the original intent of the poster trying to juxtapose the amount of time dog is actually training with a pro to what the pro is charging?
    The original intent was to be a troll, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleHaul View Post
    The original intent was to be a troll, I think.

I promise you I was not trolling.....I have never been to a pro, worked with a pro, or been to a FT. I have always been interested in training and have trained several dogs. They were good well behaved dogs but not trained to FT levels. Life has recently allowed me more time and I was sincerely curious as to the amount of time a trainer spends with each dog.

Thank you all for the good answers. I know it was a vague question and really depends on the dog but Bon really hit on what I was looking for.