The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Field Trial Dog Life Part 2

Then what the hell is your point? Maybe doggy daycare is more your style. And yes, my dog would rather be training hard with the pro than training from time to time with me.
    Quote Originally Posted by pcarpenter View Post
    Is that what he would say? Maybe it is. Maybe it isn't. You sure as hell can't read his mind. Do mini-horses sleep on couches?

I'm not against sending a dog to a pro. I'm sending my dog to one. Work on your reading comp rather than making wise a$$ comments

Being a first time dog owner I just received my pup back from the trainer this week and couldn’t be happier with the progression the trainer has made with my pup. I think the most beneficial thing from his training was being able to use his own “fully” trained dogs to lead by example. Having a dog watch another dog do it the right way has to be one of the most better parts of training I’m sure of it. Another benefit would be the daily exposure to live birds. I live in the city and have no place to keep live birds, nor know what to do with them!
    That's my boy "Blue"!!!! Flyin High in the Passenger Side x Katie May of Belgrade

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Allen View Post
    Then what the hell is your point? Maybe doggy daycare is more your style. And yes, my dog would rather be training hard with the pro than training from time to time with me.
    Not sure what you're so riled up about. Some of us are new to training with a pro and are trying to benefit from those with more experience and knowledge (I include you in that group). You made a counter productive comment implying that I'm too soft on my dogs. Maybe you're right. I care more about my dogs than a lot of people. But I've spent the last 20 yrs owning FT dogs because I appreciate their determination, athleticism, and intelligence. That type of dog fits my needs. However, I don't see the value of owning such a dog if it spends the bulk of its life away from its owner in the pursuit of ribbons/titles.

I'm hoping there is a happy medium

I'm hoping there is a happy medium
    There is a happy medium. Also professional dog trainers are no different than the rest of society, some are good trainers with poor people skills, some have good people skills but are not good trainers, and some are good trainers with good people skills. Find one that suits you and your needs.

I'm not riled up about anything. I just don't see what the issue is. Find yourself a well respected pro that takes good care of the dogs and knows how to get through to them. If you trust the pro your mind will be eased I'm sure. The most important thing you and the dog can gain from the use of a pro is more knowledge for you and the dog. They can be spoiled again when they get home. FWIW I would never buy a dog and just stick it on a pros truck for good. My dogs are pets and hunting buddies first, competitive dogs second. I def agree with the quality of life deal when a dog is sent off for extreme periods of time. I'm sure they could stand a visit or two to home.

It is a pro's job to train your dog, and the time s/he spends with your dog will be doing that. The rest of the day, for the dog, is spent being a dog-waiting to train, airing, eating, sleeping. You should not expect that your dog will be your pro's "pet" while the dog is there-that is not what you are hiring the pro to do. Dogs do just fine in that environment. They have structure, they know what to expect, they get to work lots, every day, which they love. They are not people. They do not miss you like you miss them when they are gone, but they will be happy to see you when they get back
    Marlana Smith
    APR SHR TDK's Dusty Gunslinger JH - "Churchill"
    CPR Max's Black Diamond Girl Scout JH - "Scout"

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

[QUOTE=EdA;1145502]There is a happy medium. Also professional dog trainers are no different than the rest of society, some are good trainers with poor people skills, some have good people skills but are not good trainers, and some are good trainers with good people skills. Find one that suits you and your needs.[/

I agree and the other thing you can do is find one close by that will let you be involved in the process. I had trained my own dogs before but learned a lot more about training when my dogs went to a pro.

What did your dog do for the other 23.5 hrs each day?
    I know what his dog did up north cause I was there. aired and exercised multiple times. At least 3 setups. When not running staked out with the others watching the action. About 1000% more training than he could have gotten in the Alabama summer

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Billups View Post
    I agree and the other thing you can do is find one close by that will let you be involved in the process. I had trained my own dogs before but learned a lot more about training when my dogs went to a pro.
    x10 for the inexperienced handlers among the group. I'm fortunate to own an AA dog, but I am far from being an AA handler. 80% of my line time while with my pro is handler training. I get my fair share of corrections, too. Today was a good day...yesterday, not so much.
    Brent McDowell

"To be the best, you gotta beat the best - WOOOOOO!!!"

Jake's Pintail Hunter - Jake
    HR April's Yellow Daisy JH - Daisy
    Knob Creek's Rough Rider*** - Rex
    Knob Creek's Straight Outta Compton - Cali

www.knobcreekretrievers.com
    www.facebook.com/knobcreekretrievers

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer Henion View Post
    I love you, Tim Bockman. I really really love you...
    I just had to bump this. With all the vitriol I've been subjected to I want to bask in the glory. Sorry Jen.
    I have learned I need these dogs much more than they need me. Tim Bockmon