The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hunting Spots GDG

Quote Originally Posted by shawninthesticks View Post
    I had a friend I used to deer hunt with a lot ,until I took him to a private farm once ,then he went back without me and told the land owner that I said it was alright. I no longer have that friend or farm.
    The whole snaking thing is unforgiveable. Life has taught me to hold all permission slips I may have gotten for friends, in MY truck. And agreement with landowner is aware nobody will or should hunt unless I am present.

It's way trickier than it needs to be that's for sure!!!
    We shoot dogs with a Canon

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Forsythe View Post
    Can't win.
    I was invited to a goose shoot in a particular field four years ago. Often drove by and reported whether there were birds in there or not back to the fellow that invited me but never went in without him.
    Another friend rented this same field (about three hundred acres) for crops and was a personal friend of the landowner. I was invited to shoot with the renter.
    The first (now ex-friend) came by while we were still in the field and questioned my ethics since I knew the field was his, and I did. He even went so far as to complain to the landowner.
    The landowner got in touch with the renter and asked him whether he should kick the first guy off permantently. A conundrum.

The comment was made that the guy with the permission sometimes feels he has more ownership than the landowner.
    I continue to shoot with the renter and have lost friend.
    Man - that's a tough one. There are some places I have chosen not to exercise permission only because the landowner either had given others permission or wouldn't agree on sole permission. In the end - hassles to a landowner suck for them. And - I don't want to arrive anywhere at dark thirty with a truck load of full bodies to find someone else there.

Recall a deer spot years ago - permission was easy, the old guy was great. Got to the private spot to find 5 other trucks...lol

I seen him last year on a small public lake that he always hunts. We where already set up and he came rolling in wanting to hunt with us and buddy up. (With the wind direction of that day we had the only really good spot on the lake)

"Nope ,kick rocks ole' boy."
    Shawn White

HR Big Creek Retrievers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy "

Quote Originally Posted by shawninthesticks View Post
    I seen him last year on a small public lake that he always hunts. We where already set up and he came rolling in wanting to hunt with us and buddy up. (With the wind direction of that day we had the only really good spot on the lake)

"Nope ,kick rocks ole' boy."
    lol...I'd rather hunt a parking lot than show up and be pissed/hassled.

Quote Originally Posted by HNTFSH View Post
    Is it rude to blindfold the occasional hunting buddy who develops no new good spots of his own when taking him to a secret public honey hole?
    Phil Robertson calls that "Bradshawing" I guess when in college with Terry Bradshaw, Bradshaw used to steel all of Phils fishing holes.

It is 100% appropriate,
    God, Family, Country & LSU Football.

Quote Originally Posted by kcrumpy9 View Post
    If someone takes me to a honey hole, I make sure I never return there unless they take me there or they no longer desire to hunt there. I also defer to them for first shot on birds. I find it only respectful and proper field etiquette. Now HNTFSH and Melatone I'll gladly accept the blindfolding if you're willing to share some honey holes.
    I don't do the blindfold thing, but I do threaten one with bodily injury if they return to get permission.
    The foundation to a great retriever is obedience.
    Firestorms Full Throttle Chevy aka Callie-Roo 7/5/2007 - 10/25/2013 I miss you every day
    Proud owner of Kona's Surfer Girl, aka Loki.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Forsythe View Post
    Can't win.
    I was invited to a goose shoot in a particular field four years ago. Often drove by and reported whether there were birds in there or not back to the fellow that invited me but never went in without him.
    Another friend rented this same field (about three hundred acres) for crops and was a personal friend of the landowner. I was invited to shoot with the renter.
    The first (now ex-friend) came by while we were still in the field and questioned my ethics since I knew the field was his, and I did. He even went so far as to complain to the landowner.
    The landowner got in touch with the renter and asked him whether he should kick the first guy off permantently. A conundrum.

The comment was made that the guy with the permission sometimes feels he has more ownership than the landowner.
    I continue to shoot with the renter and have lost friend.
    I have enjoyed this thread even though I have never hunted on public land. My land is farmed and is rented to my farmer but does NOT include hunting rights. About 6 years ago I gave permission allowing a man to hunt deer on my land because my farmer said he hunted for the meat and not the sport because that was how he was able to feed his family. Last year, I found his nephew along with his friend hunting and told him politely that I owned the land and that they were not allowed to hunt. He then explained to me that he was the nephew and that I needed to talk to my farmer before I told him that he and his friend could not hunt. You can imagine my reaction but I will say that now the uncle has no permission to hunt. 6 years ago I thought I was being kind to let the needy uncle to hunt but in retrospect, I would have been better of to have said no. As it is now, I have pi$$ed off the uncle, his family and all their friends. I guess no good deed goes unpunished.

As to the landowner you speak of, I probably would bar your friend from ever hunting on my property again and tell him so. And if anybody who I gave permission to hunt brought him along, I would probably bar them too. Now if I don't know you, you are wasting your time asking. If you are a freind, I may take you with me but don't ask for permission. I will also say that I have put up posted signes but they are constantly torn down. This is just the tip of the iceberg when allowing people to hunt on your land and it is sad. As long as there are people who choose not to respect the landowner, there will be fewer owners who will allow hunting.
    Last edited by caryalsobrook; 09-13-2013 at 06:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by caryalsobrook View Post
    I have enjoyed this thread even though I have never hunted on public land. My land is farmed and is rented to my farmer but does NOT include hunting rights. About 6 years ago I gave permission allowing a man to hunt deer on my land because my farmer said he hunted for the meat and not the sport because that was how he was able to feed his family. Last year, I found his nephew along with his friend hunting and told him politely that I owned the land and that they were not allowed to hunt. He then explained to me that he was the nephew and that I needed to talk to my farmer before I told him that he and his friend could not hunt. You can imagine my reaction but I will say that now the uncle has no permission to hunt. 6 years ago I thought I was being kind to let the needy uncle to hunt but in retrospect, I would have been better of to have said no. As it is now, I have pi$$ed off the uncle, his family and all their friends. I guess no good deed goes unpunished.

As to the landowner you speak of, I probably would bar your friend from ever hunting on my property again and tell him so. And if anybody who I gave permission to hunt brought him along, I would probably bar them too. Now if I don't know you, you are wasting your time asking. If you are a freind, I may take you with me but don't ask for permission. I will also say that I have put up posted signes but they are constantly torn down. This is just the tip of the iceberg when allowing people to hunt on your land and it is sad. As long as there are people who choose not to respect the landowner, there will be fewer owners who will allow hunting.
    Thanks for the post. VERY consistent with what my landowners have shared and largely why permission is so difficult to get. And many here don't care to recognize the difference between a deer hunter and waterfowler. I actually made a list of my self-imposed rules to share in the permission process just to demonstrate I understood the challenge of granting permission.

To your point - why I don't feel comfortable having slips signed for more than myself and one other. At least initially. But even beyond that why risk all that effort to include a slip for Bob and Joe who never seem to have a 'spot'? Regardless of how much you like them otherwise. Mr/Mrs landowner see that as risk - and can righlty not initially trust there won't be 4-5 yahoo's trampling their place on Saturday morning.

Being a big deer state where folks forget there are property lines, has significantly soured the deal. To many farmers all hunters look the same.

Friend had a cool experience. He treated an ole guy with property for cancer for several years. Got along talked hunting, etc. Friend asked permission kindly over 3 years and the ole guy just kept resisting. He eventually passed never having said yes.

A few months after his death the buddy got a call from his widow. He'd told her before passing to go ahead and let the friend hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by HNTFSH View Post
    Is it rude to blindfold the occasional hunting buddy who develops no new good spots of his own when taking him to a secret public honey hole?
    Is the state of Ohio building plonds on public ground?

Quote Originally Posted by TCFarmer View Post
    Is the state of Ohio building plonds on public ground?
    HA! TC - they should!!

Designs over the years - adding water, when able, sure helps. Paid back two favors over it (at least in my mind...lol)