The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 30

Thread: Hunting Spots GDG

  1. #11
    Senior Member Erik Nilsson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Butler, Pa
    Posts
    824

    Default

    I thought you said there were no birds in Ohio..LOL Its hard to keep good spots, we try to keep to ourselves for all the above reason
    HRC- Our season never ends

    "Shoot fast or shoot last"

    HR UH Nilsson's on a wing n a prayer SH WCX

  2. #12
    Senior Member luvalab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    central ohio
    Posts
    1,110

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HNTFSH View Post
    Is it rude to blindfold the occasional hunting buddy who develops no new good spots of his own when taking him to a secret public honey hole?
    I have no sense of direction and can't find the same place twice. Take me and Mr. Atticus.

    Seriously. The dog deserves to hunt.
    --Greta Ode
    willing slave to the whims of
    Kerrybrooks Magical Atticus MH
    Coastalight Kiowa Ravenhawk MH

  3. #13
    Senior Member HNTFSH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,194

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by luvalab View Post
    I have no sense of direction and can't find the same place twice. Take me and Mr. Atticus.

    Seriously. The dog deserves to hunt.
    People tend to remember the good spots and not the bad ones.

    But seriously - if you want to treat Atticus I guarantee you he'd have a lot more fun and so would you - putting 6 Rooster pheasant in a field at Lone Oak and letting him get a snoot full of find and flush.
    We shoot dogs with a Canon

  4. #14
    Senior Member jerrod denton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Jonesboro,AR
    Posts
    216

    Default

    Ive got to were I only hunt with select few people anymore for this very reason
    HRCH Wagzu's Sound of Dixie--Echo
    Warbird's Little Call Girl--Hooker
    RIP Smokingolds Wild Child--Rebel

  5. #15
    Senior Member copterdoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    NW IL
    Posts
    2,546

    Default

    I have acquaintances (several), and I have Friends (two).

    I'll take my Friends to my best spots.

    Because, they are closer than blood, and would sooner castrate themselves than do anything to "hurt" me.

    I would give my life for them, and they for me.

    My acquaintances are just acquaintances. We have fun together, but they don't qualify as Friends.

    They don't get to see what it is that makes me who I am. And they don't need to.

    It is said that blood is thicker than water. But, you don't get to pick your relatives.
    You do however get to pick your Friends. Choose wisely.
    Last edited by copterdoc; 09-11-2013 at 10:31 PM.

  6. #16
    Senior Member HNTFSH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,194

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by copterdoc View Post
    I have acquaintances (several), and I have Friends (two).

    I'll take my Friends to my best spots.

    Because, they are closer than blood, and would sooner castrate themselves than do anything to "hurt" me.

    I would give my life for them, and they for me.

    My acquaintances are just acquaintances. We have fun together, but they don't qualify as Friends.

    They don't get to see what it is that makes me who I am. And they don't need to.

    It is said that blood is thicker than water. But, you don't get to pick your relatives.
    You do however get to pick your Friends. Choose wisely.
    Wish I could agree with that but don't -at least not on hunting spots. Until you take on the responsibility to be the guy with the permission, great spots, etc...you can't fully appreciate the perspective of protecting it. I can't qualify the virtue or value of a friend solely based on their affinity to hunt as I do.

    But I can understand that and choose not to hunt with them. Up to and until the time they've done the same and by the nature of it, feel the same.

    My motivation is a quality hunt afield in peace, be it alone or with another like-minded. It's not a social event. Hard to judge someone as a friend that doesn't embrace the same - it just means I don't invite them.
    We shoot dogs with a Canon

  7. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Gloucester,Va
    Posts
    1,295

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HNTFSH View Post
    Is it rude to blindfold the occasional hunting buddy who develops no new good spots of his own when taking him to a secret public honey hole?
    NO!

    Well, hold on a sec.-

    Does he get to take the blindfold off at legal shootin'?
    Dawgs are like Savings Accounts-
    You only get out of 'em what you put into 'em.

  8. #18
    Senior Member HNTFSH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,194

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Swampbilly View Post
    NO!

    Well, hold on a sec.-

    Does he get to take the blindfold off at legal shootin'?
    No. And must carry the decoys, pay for gas, and buy lunch.
    We shoot dogs with a Canon

  9. #19

    Default

    Can't win.
    I was invited to a goose shoot in a particular field four years ago. Often drove by and reported whether there were birds in there or not back to the fellow that invited me but never went in without him.
    Another friend rented this same field (about three hundred acres) for crops and was a personal friend of the landowner. I was invited to shoot with the renter.
    The first (now ex-friend) came by while we were still in the field and questioned my ethics since I knew the field was his, and I did. He even went so far as to complain to the landowner.
    The landowner got in touch with the renter and asked him whether he should kick the first guy off permantently. A conundrum.

    The comment was made that the guy with the permission sometimes feels he has more ownership than the landowner.
    I continue to shoot with the renter and have lost friend.

  10. #20
    Senior Member shawninthesticks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    north east mo
    Posts
    1,827

    Default

    I had a friend I used to deer hunt with a lot ,until I took him to a private farm once ,then he went back without me and told the land owner that I said it was alright. I no longer have that friend or farm.
    Shawn White

    HR Big Creek Retrievers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy "

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •