RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Where were you???

9K views 45 replies 45 participants last post by  Mark L 
#1 ·
When they attacked us?
Terry and I were in Tulsa OK. on Don Yaw's farm setting up tests in preparation for the Master National. Stunned silence prevailed. We were fairly close to Tinker AFB and soon after we got word several AWACS planes roared off right over us- pretty chilling.
NEVER Forget- or forgive regards
Bubba

#2 ·
Never, ever forget. Ever.
I hope Usama Bin Laden was remembering too. When he heard those black hawks landing. And, when he heard those Seals coming up his stairs.

I was home. I thought the first plane, oh no. What a terrible accident. When the second tower got hit, then...we all knew.

#3 · (Edited)
Yellowstone National Park, witnessing the magic of the Rut!

We were actually in a geyser basin. (Devils Cauldron) When we came back to the parking area, a big crowd was gathered, talking about a plane flying into a building, and causing a collapse. I remember thinking... Yea right! Impossible.
Our vehicle couldn't get radio reception.

It was simply amazing how Park Officials handled Visitors at the gates.
Everyone was stopped, licence plates recorded, a quick visual inspection of each car.
Lines to get into, and out of the park were very long.

The night of the attack,, most all typical intrest of going to a national park kinda came to an end.

No one in fly shops were purchasing tackle or booking float trips.. Most all were glued to T.V.'s getting information.
Bars and resturants the same way... people focused on T.V.'s Very quiet so as to be able to listen.

You see all nationalities in national parks... Most all would show some sign of being emotionally upset..

Gooser

#5 ·
Working at U of MN, College of Veterinary Medicine. We have this room called the pink room, it was where the only tv was available.

Little room we used to euthanize pets with the owners present. It was freaky to have all employees squished in there watching the towers falling knowing death was happening, and a few with family members in New York. It was very disturbing.

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

#6 ·
I was home in NY and immediately had a horrible feeling when I heard a plane had hit the WTC because it was such a beautiful clear day. Then when I heard the sound of a large plane flying low I cringed but I never dreamed it would be a second plane aiming for the towers. My heart goes out to all those that were affected in different ways that day and I hope some comfort could be found in the happier memories they have of their lost ones..

#7 ·
Dave & I were getting a litter of pups ready to go to the vet for their first shots. Saw a quick mention of a plane hitting one of the towers. At that time the thought it was a small private plane and that it was an accident. We drove the 20 minutes to the vet, heard another plane had hit and that it was a commercial airline, walked in with the puppies. We told the staff at the vet what we just heard and they turned on their radio. After we got home, we sat and watched as both towers burned, then saw them fall.

It was unreal, yet very real at the same time.

Never forget.

#8 ·
I, and three of my friends, were on a flight from Austin to Dallas when the first plane hit. As we were getting off our flight, the second plane hit. We were supposed to connect to a flight to San Diego. Needless to say that didn't happen. DFW was shut down in a heartbeat. Police with dogs showed up out of nowhere. After a short time it was determined that all flights were grounded. Luggage from all the planes was off loaded and stacked on the terminals. Travelers were told to exit the terminal. It was quite a zoo but the organization was impressive. Rental cars were depleted. Cabs, etc. were impossible to get. They were even checking all the luggage, golf clubs, etc. leaving the airport with dogs and metal detectors. People were cordial and trying to help others. I didn't see anyone complaining even though most of these people were stranded.

#9 ·
I was at home watching ABC news. Called my brother. At the time he was working as an executive and they stopped their meeting. 9/11 changed the world for sure that day. Never forget!!

#11 ·
I had just finished clipping a show horse for the Grand National Morgan Horse Show... I had gone inside to catch a shower and get cleaned up for a funeral. and turned on the morning news... I was glued to the TV. On the way to the funeral, the first tower fell.....while in the funeral tower 2 came down. I remember being in disbelif. On the way home (from Stillwater OK to Edmond OK) we saw gas prices skyrocket to $7 per gallon. It was mind blowing.

I hurried home as I had a new horse boarder coming in from Florida and wanted to be there to meet up with her. We also were near Tinker AFB, and walking outside that night and seeing absolutley zero planes in the air was surreal.

#12 ·
I heard the first report that an "accident" had occurred involving a small plane, as I pulled into my office parking lot. I worked alone and the other businesses in the complex were retail so had not opened yet. No radio, no TV, computer in use to work, so I did not know a thing. Until I called a client to ask a question about a deal I was working on for her. She answered the phone screaming that people were jumping! I immediately ran to my car and turned on the radio and joined the rest of the country in horror at what I learned.

#14 ·
I was driving to train for the Oklahoma Master National. I figured I better buy gas. The lines were down the block. Just as I was 2 cars from getting gas I realized I didn't have my wallet. I filled up anyway, and happened to run across somebody who I vaguely knew. She loaned me some money. The thought of our great land being attacked was overwhelming. It changed our lives forever. It also brought back a massive amount of patriotism.

God Bless this Great Land!

#15 ·
I was getting ready to fly to NYC that morning. My guy I was supposed to meet called and said the "Crazy bastards" had attacked and to stay home. Just then the 2nd plane hit and the line went dead. It was a week before I finally heard from Doug and that he had managed to escape on a ferry with no wallet and just the clothes he had on. All of us in the office had friends or associates in the City and I'll never forget the look of terror and sorrow in their eyes as the news played out. Nor that empty feeling in my gut the first time I flew into the city and saw the hole where the towers had been. No, I can't forget that day. And we should not forget.

#16 ·
I was at home watching it unfold on TV. The bigest thing that struck me was not the towers falling. It was watching the F15 fighter jets flying over the city. I realized that those pilots were flying over NYC to protect us from further attack. We had been attacked on our own soil and those fighter jets were our only real defense.

#17 ·
I remember that day so well. Will and I were just getting ready to leave to drive to New York to pick up my new dog trailer when the first plane hit the WTC. We watched just a minute or two of the news coverage before leaving the house. We wondered if the “accident” was due to pilot error or mechanical failure. As we traveled, we heard the devastating news that yet another plane had hit the other tower of the WTC. I immediately called my Dad on my cell phone, wanting him to alleviate my fears from what the news announcers were calling possible terrorism. My mind just couldn’t comprehend what was happening. I remember the fear that I was feeling and a feeling of almost panic. I remember crying while I talked to my Dad. Dad expressed concern since we were headed to New York, but I told him we would not be going near NYC, but cutting across Pennsylvania to get to upper state NY.

We continued to listen to the news on the radio. When the plane hit the Pentagon, I felt panic as I knew that my brother-in-law, Lt. Col Robert Larson, worked there. I remember desperately calling his phone numbers and not getting any response. I tried calling my Dad again, but, at this point, no calls were getting through on the cell phone.

We stopped at the nearest rest station and walked into the Visitors’ Center. People were all gathered around several TVs that were in the front area. The expressions on their faces ranged from pure fear to rage. As we stood there, the first tower collapsed. Many of us exclaimed in total disbelief. We watched in horror. Other than the crying, there were no sounds that I could hear. Then, I heard the prayers.

We stood there watching; not totally comprehending what was taking place. I wanted my family…. I prayed that I would be able to contact my Dad, my brother-in-law, any of them

We then heard about Flight 93. “My God”, I remember saying, “That is not far from where we are”. What was happening??? Was there no place safe?? Phone lines were jammed and I couldn’t reach anyone. As we stood watching the television sets, I wanted to run, to hide, to escape the fear I was feeling.

No one was moving from watching what was being shown on the TVs. It was as if the world had stopped for those minutes.

We saw the second tower collapsed and realized that there would be few, if any, survivors….all of those people….gone in just minutes.
I finally got through to my Dad and learned that my brother-in-law was safe, but that friends of his, both military and civilian, had been killed at the Pentagon. My heart ached for everyone involved and for our Country.

I’ll never forget September 11, 2001. I don’t believe I will ever forget the range of emotions I felt that day either. I only hope that I can teach my grandkids and now my great-grandson the importance of that day. A day my generation will long remember; a day when we can recall vividly where we were and what we were doing. I fear that my grandkids and great-grandkid's generations will not have the same 'respect' for 9/11; kind of like my generation does not have the same 'respect' for Pearl Harbor as my parents’ generation has for that day in history.

#19 ·
Driving home from Steamboat Springs vacation. Radio reception is terrible in the mountains, so I didn't turn on the radio until I was out of the tunnel and on the way down to Denver. At first I thought "this is a new version of 'War of the Worlds' by Orwell being played on the radio". So I changed stations. and then Station after station had the same report. They couldn't all be doing it. So the truth and terribleness of it hit me all the way home.

#20 ·
Squad car, listening to the confusion on the FM radio. Then the horrific truth and the beginning of lockdowns. Forever changed the way we think/react.

#21 ·
With my Sister having coffee watching the news. It was a surreal moment being glued to the TV for the rest of the day and slowly learning of the tragic events unfolding before my eyes. My parents were scheduled to fly out of Chicago that morning. Luckily, they got a call to us that they were grounded and did not board the plane.

#22 ·
This is a post on FB from a friend from High School who is a Captain on American Airlines;

My first officer tonight was telling me how disappointed he was that do to our flight to el paso and late return tomorrow he was going to miss his dinner with his family. He went on to say that his family always does something special on sep 11. I thought that's cool someone who is 28 years old can appreciate the horror of 911. He then casually mentioned that his dad was the first officer on AA flight 11 that was the first go hit the world trade center. As I thought about it I didn't know what to say it almost brought me to tears.

#25 ·
This is a post on FB from a friend from High School who is a Captain on American Airlines;

My first officer tonight was telling me how disappointed he was that do to our flight to el paso and late return tomorrow he was going to miss his dinner with his family. He went on to say that his family always does something special on sep 11. I thought that's cool someone who is 28 years old can appreciate the horror of 911. He then casually mentioned that his dad was the first officer on AA flight 11 that was the first go hit the world trade center. As I thought about it I didn't know what to say it almost brought me to tears.
WOW! Thanks for sharing...

#26 ·
I was at work watching the news for the weather (hurricane season) when the breaking news came on when the first plan hit, sat stunned when the second one hit. It really changed all of our lives. Security was so tight everywhere after that, too bad it was not that tight before.
New Orleans had the superbowl the Jan right after and airways within 200 miles of the dome was restricted. the morning before the superbowl, my husband lost our dog in the marsh, and could not find him. The morning of the superbowl, he was able to get on a rescue plan and thank god the pilot was military and high ranked so he got permission to fly within a few miles of the dome to search for the dog. Thankfully they found him.
God bless out troups that had to go take care of us after 9/11

#27 ·
Was at work in Allentown PA, our building tied to an 18 story building, when the first plan hit had a sick feeling it was no accident, after the events unraveled, I said to a buddy its time to go hunting, meaning it was time to hunt these evil doers down and destroy. We were told to go home and was glued to TV remainder of the day.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.