The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First Post on POTUS

Default First Post on POTUS

I didn't think this belonged on the other "forum".

So here's my question. I'm getting up in years and don't feel as safe today. Staying alone at duck camp doesn't seem threatening, but who knows? My wife and I live in a quiet, safe and isolated residential neighborhood....she's home alone when I'm gone hunting. Recently, I've had serious thoughts about purchasing a handgun (or two).....for one reason.

Am I getting paranoid?
    Jim Boyer www.kwicklabs.com
    MPR UH HRCH Kwick Taffey of Joemac's MH
    HR Kwick Daisy's Spirit Keeper SH
    HR Kwick Draw McGraw SH
    Kwick Kooly Dew It Allstar SH

Jim, it's not the same world we grew up in!

stan b

Quote Originally Posted by KwickLabs View Post
    I didn't think this belonged on the other "forum".

So here's my question. I'm getting up in years and don't feel as safe today. Staying alone at duck camp doesn't seem threatening, but who knows? My wife and I live in a quiet, safe and isolated residential neighborhood....she's home alone when I'm gone hunting. Recently, I've had serious thoughts about purchasing a handgun (or two).....for one reason.

Am I getting paranoid?
    If its just for home protection a shotgun is a better choice, but no your not paranoid.
    Last edited by mngundog; 03-20-2014 at 02:41 PM.

With all the cool 1911 replicas in .45, I would get at least two of them!

I've been looking at a Kimber 1911 but the Sig Sauer ain't a bad second choice.
    The Libertarian Party believes that all persons are entitled to keep the fruits of their labor. A call for the repeal of the income tax, abolishment of the Internal Revenue Service and all federal programs and services not required under the U.S. Constitution. We support the passage of a "Balanced Budget Amendment" to the U.S. Constitution, provided that the budget is balanced exclusively by cutting expenditures, and not by raising taxes. LP.org

Nope, not paranoid. Mean people suck and the world is full of mean people. Those 1911's are nice guns for the range and all, but for a self defense gun I don't want to be fumbling around with a grip and thumb safety. Glocks are a point and shoot weapon. The safety is the trigger, don't put your finger on it and pull it unless you meant to shoot it. I own three of em and have one on me wherever I go.
    Southland Dixe's Hunter Boy, JH (Hunter)

get a 20 gauge RM 870 and load it with the new home defense loads, you might already have one in your closet, makes a VERY distinct sound when racking the slide, in a domestic CQ area I like your chances
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    get a 20 gauge RM 870 and load it with the new home defense loads, you might already have one in your closet, makes a VERY distinct sound when racking the slide, in a domestic CQ area I like your chances
    I use a RM 870 12 gauge and Black Cloud #5's.
    Looks like furniture next to the bed!!

That will leave a mark!!!!!

If you would see in my house you would think im paranoid

The paranoia should be directed more towards the legal side of the equation for that "what if" scenario here in good ol' Illinois. Even though we now have CCW licenses available, our laws still favor the criminal when it comes to protecting yourself, especially if the threat could have been deterred in any other way or you were able to flee and did not. Find a good gun rights attorney and prepare for the criminal charges and civil suit. Best place to learn the laws would be to take the CCW class, even if you dont plan to conceal carry.
    https://ccl4illinois.com/ccw/public/home.aspx
    Erik B.

Quote Originally Posted by RetrieverNation View Post
    The paranoia should be directed more towards the legal side of the equation for that "what if" scenario here in good ol' Illinois. Even though we now have CCW licenses available, our laws still favor the criminal when it comes to protecting yourself, especially if the threat could have been deterred in any other way or you were able to flee and did not. Find a good gun rights attorney and prepare for the criminal charges and civil suit. Best place to learn the laws would be to take the CCW class, even if you dont plan to conceal carry.
    https://ccl4illinois.com/ccw/public/home.aspx
    Better to be judged by 12 than buried by 6.
    The Libertarian Party believes that all persons are entitled to keep the fruits of their labor. A call for the repeal of the income tax, abolishment of the Internal Revenue Service and all federal programs and services not required under the U.S. Constitution. We support the passage of a "Balanced Budget Amendment" to the U.S. Constitution, provided that the budget is balanced exclusively by cutting expenditures, and not by raising taxes. LP.org