The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 26

Thread: First Post on POTUS

  1. #1
    Senior Member KwickLabs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Roscoe, IL
    Posts
    2,573

    Default First Post on POTUS

    I didn't think this belonged on the other "forum".

    So here's my question. I'm getting up in years and don't feel as safe today. Staying alone at duck camp doesn't seem threatening, but who knows? My wife and I live in a quiet, safe and isolated residential neighborhood....she's home alone when I'm gone hunting. Recently, I've had serious thoughts about purchasing a handgun (or two).....for one reason.

    Am I getting paranoid?
    Jim Boyer KwickLabs (new)

  2. #2
    Senior Member road kill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    New Berlin, WI
    Posts
    11,699

    Default

    Jim, it's not the same world we grew up in!

    stan b

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    SW Minnesota
    Posts
    3,054

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KwickLabs View Post
    I didn't think this belonged on the other "forum".

    So here's my question. I'm getting up in years and don't feel as safe today. Staying alone at duck camp doesn't seem threatening, but who knows? My wife and I live in a quiet, safe and isolated residential neighborhood....she's home alone when I'm gone hunting. Recently, I've had serious thoughts about purchasing a handgun (or two).....for one reason.

    Am I getting paranoid?
    If its just for home protection a shotgun is a better choice, but no your not paranoid.
    Last edited by mngundog; 03-20-2014 at 03:41 PM.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Franco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    DuLarge-Dulac-Cocodrie Metroplex, La.
    Posts
    12,496

    Default

    With all the cool 1911 replicas in .45, I would get at least two of them!

    I've been looking at a Kimber 1911 but the Sig Sauer ain't a bad second choice.
    "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us to no end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience."
    C S Lewis









  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Linden, VA
    Posts
    3,605

    Default

    Nope, not paranoid. Mean people suck and the world is full of mean people. Those 1911's are nice guns for the range and all, but for a self defense gun I don't want to be fumbling around with a grip and thumb safety. Glocks are a point and shoot weapon. The safety is the trigger, don't put your finger on it and pull it unless you meant to shoot it. I own three of em and have one on me wherever I go.

  6. #6
    Senior Member BonMallari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    LV/CenTex/Idaho
    Posts
    13,640

    Default

    get a 20 gauge RM 870 and load it with the new home defense loads, you might already have one in your closet, makes a VERY distinct sound when racking the slide, in a domestic CQ area I like your chances
    All my Exes live in Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

  7. #7
    Senior Member road kill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    New Berlin, WI
    Posts
    11,699

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    get a 20 gauge RM 870 and load it with the new home defense loads, you might already have one in your closet, makes a VERY distinct sound when racking the slide, in a domestic CQ area I like your chances
    I use a RM 870 12 gauge and Black Cloud #5's.
    Looks like furniture next to the bed!!

    That will leave a mark!!!!!

  8. #8
    Senior Member starjack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    896

    Default

    If you would see in my house you would think im paranoid

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Northern IL
    Posts
    140

    Default

    The paranoia should be directed more towards the legal side of the equation for that "what if" scenario here in good ol' Illinois. Even though we now have CCW licenses available, our laws still favor the criminal when it comes to protecting yourself, especially if the threat could have been deterred in any other way or you were able to flee and did not. Find a good gun rights attorney and prepare for the criminal charges and civil suit. Best place to learn the laws would be to take the CCW class, even if you dont plan to conceal carry.
    https://ccl4illinois.com/ccw/public/home.aspx
    Erik B.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Franco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    DuLarge-Dulac-Cocodrie Metroplex, La.
    Posts
    12,496

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RetrieverNation View Post
    The paranoia should be directed more towards the legal side of the equation for that "what if" scenario here in good ol' Illinois. Even though we now have CCW licenses available, our laws still favor the criminal when it comes to protecting yourself, especially if the threat could have been deterred in any other way or you were able to flee and did not. Find a good gun rights attorney and prepare for the criminal charges and civil suit. Best place to learn the laws would be to take the CCW class, even if you dont plan to conceal carry.
    https://ccl4illinois.com/ccw/public/home.aspx
    Better to be judged by 12 than buried by 6.
    "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us to no end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience."
    C S Lewis









Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •