The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: When Govt Gets Too Big

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Clinchy View Post
    Interesting how $ in the Fed budget was found to help out Detroit ... $100 million.
    http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/...r_detroit.html
    And they move towards Bankruptcy anyways. More big government money wasted. The Big Government wonders why we are losing faith in them to manage anything. Another example why.

My opinion

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Henlee View Post
    Your looking at it as money already in the bank. First the agent at the scene would have to collect the money. That would have to be brought presumably to a supervisors office and turned in. The amount collected would have to be logged and saved so that anyone who had the desire to collect it could. They would have to then have to make a deposit and that is going to be a person physically taking it to the bank or an armored truck picking it up.

Isn't all of this already done to get it into the TSA's bank account? So, these costs would not be additional to what is already being done with the $ collected.

Then after whatever time they hold it for it has to be moved to the proper final account.

Once it's in a govt account, I can imagine that it takes more than an electronic transfer. Nobody is moving armored cars of $ from the Treasury to different banks for disbursement to agencies. OTOH, if the govt can't do that efficiently, we are surely in deep doo-doo with the overall efficiency and competency in govt.

The TSA already has more invested in this money then it is even worth.

If this is so then, they could just donate the $ to a local foodbank daily or weekly. The largest amount was for Miami, $36,000+ for the year. That works out to less than $100/day (based on 365 days). Let the charity take responsibility for transporting the money, rather than govt.

The article doesn't mention the exact process for the money. I would imagine that amounts less than $10 could be exempted from "holding" for reclamation by the individual.

Why not let them offset the costs by adding it to their budget?
    I can agree with your suggested option as well. If the TSA has about $500K/year of "found" money to add to their coffers, then they can reduce their budget by that amount.

In truth, I wouldn't be surprised if the recorded amount is less than the true amount. I'm sure some of the $ simply "gets lost" before it reaches the TSA's bank account.

I think it's a really big problem that because govt is always talking in terms of billions and hundreds of billions, they lose focus that those billions are made up of a 1/2 million here and a 1/2 million there.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...ed-15-million/
    I find this tremendously offensive ... as citizens are told to be compassionate and pay a little more for O-care AND expanded Medicaid, they went and paid a bunch of taxpayer bucks to Russian diplomats! To rub salt into the wound, they can't even get it back since they have diplomatic immunity!

Now this is only the Russians they found doing this. Think there might be a few more diplomats who have gamed the system?

I'm sure Obama had no idea until he read it in the paper ... and he will surely get right on it and fix it. (sarcasm)
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Medicare has been over-paying for breast cancer drug 77% of the time.
    “Because Herceptin is supplied in a multiuse vial, providers should bill Medicare only for the actual dose of Herceptin administered to the patient. Providers should not bill Medicare for a full vial of Herceptin unless the patient actually received a full vial of the drug,” said Leslie Preuss, a senior inspector general auditor who helped lead the investigation. “These improper billing practices cost the Medicare program millions of dollars and may have subjected cancer patients to higher co-pays.”

Investigators suspect the government overpaid on 77 percent of the drug purchases because the oversight process wasn’t good enough to catch the mistakes.

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...#ixzz2na51BYj0

The inspector general is concerned that the same purchasing problem could be present in bills for other drugs.

“Herceptin is one of many multiuse drugs,” investigators said. “Therefore, the problem of provider billing for full vials may exist with other such drugs.”

G.Clinchy@gmail.com

Coburn's waste report (and this doesn't even count the fraud that may be present in govt programs)
    DOD grounded the Air Force Thunderbirds and Navy Blue Angels,4 yet still spent $631.4 million to construct aircraft they never intend to fly.5
    The Army National Guard spent $10 million on Superman movie tie-ins while plans were being made to cut the strength of the Guard by 8,000 soldiers, the real supermen and women who fight for truth, justice and the American way.
    As the Smithsonian was closing exhibits at its world renowned museums,6 the federal government was funding the creation of “play zones” at the National Museum of Play, an inventory of toys at the Denver Museum of Miniatures, Dolls and Toys, and a website celebrating romance novels.
    The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) cut housing assistance for the disabled elderly while subsidizing thousands of risky mortgages, including more than 100 homes (that cost in excess of half-a-million dollars each) within walking distance of the ocean in Hawaii. And while nutrition assistance was being reduced for many needy families, USDA was spending money on celebrity chef cooks-offs and running up the taxpayer tab on Bloody Marys, sweet potato vodka, and red wine tastings from here to China.
    The Department of Interior was counting sheep with high-tech unmanned aerial drones7 after delaying the opening of some national landmarks and closing others early.

NASA ultimately paid more than 17,700 employees—97 percent of its staff— to do nothing for 16 days as a result of the shutdown.8 These hardworking employees, caught in factors outside of their control, should not be confused with the “pillownauts” the space agency hired to lie around in bed and do nothing for 70 days.9
    Even the government shutdown could not shut down Obamacare, but the failure of its $319 million website nearly did.10 Millions of dollars more were spent to urge taxpayers to visit the website that did not work—at whiskey festivals and on TV with ads featuring Elvis impersonators. Yet, even the hundreds of thousands who had their plans canceled struggled to sign up for the plans they did not want in the first place. At least one dog was able to enroll, however.

There are hundreds of examples of government waste inside this report, which is 177 pages long, but here are my top ten favorites:
    1. $914,000 of your money was given to The Popular Romance Project to "explore the fascinating, often contradictory origins and influences of popular romance as told in novels, films, comics, advice books, songs, and internet fan fiction, taking a global perspective while looking back across time as far as the ancient Greeks." The was used to pay for programs like "Love Between the Covers" and "The Past and Future of the Romance Novel."

2. The Department of Defense wasted $7 billion of your money by destroying more than 170 million pounds of useable military equipment and vehicles. According to the report, a decision was made to destroy the equipment rather than shipping it home or selling it.
    3. The Department of Health and Human Services has spent $319 million of your dollars (so far) on an Obamacare website that doesn't work and that people aren't interested in using. This money was also spent on ridiculous advertisements for Obamacare. Colorado received $20 million for their advertisement campaign featuring an Elvis impersonator. Right now, fewer than 4,000 people in the state have singed up for Obamacare.
    4. The National Institute for Health spent $325,525 in a study showing wives should "calm down" to make their husbands and marriages happier.
    5. $65 million dollars in "emergency" Hurricane Sandy funds were spent on tourism television ads. Paging Chris Christie. "Instead of rushing aid to the people who need it most, state-level officials in New York and New Jersey spent the money on tourism-related TV advertisements," the report states.
    6. The State Department spent $630,000 for "likes" and "fans" on Facebook and Twitter.
    7. The government spends $1.5 billion to keep the lights on in empty and hardly used federal buildings they should be selling.
    8. $3.6 billion: the amount of money tax cheating federal employees owe to the IRS.
    9. The National Science Foundation spent $150,000 to study how to save the human race from zombies.
    10. The Environmetal Protection Agency spend $479,000 for what is described as a "frat house" in Maryland.
    "As you glance at each of the entries presented in this report, place your personal political persuasion aside and ask yourself: Do each of these represent a real national priority that should be spared from budget cuts or are these excesses that should have been eliminated in order to spare deeper cuts to those services and missions that should be performed by the federal government?" Senator Coburn said in the report. "When it comes to spending your money, those in Washington tend to see no waste, speak no waste, and cut no waste."

Next time you hear politicians whining about spending cuts and fear mongering about Social Security checks not going out as a result of "draconian policies," please remind them of these examples that add up to billions and billions of dollar in waste. Also as a friendly reality check, the National Debt is $17 trillion and growing.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com

More from Coburn's waste report:
    The Department of Treasury “furloughed 21,751 non-excepted/non-essential employees with an annual salary of $100,000.00 or more during the government shutdown.”
    The Fed govt pays "non-essential" people that much? What do they pay the essential people?
    Coburn adds this comment:
    Many who perform what most of us consider essential occupations earn on average far less than $100,000. A full-time public school teacher, for example, is paid about $56,000 a year.

A registered nurse is compensated about $68,000 a year.

And a police officer is paid about $58,000 a year.

At least six state governors are also paid less than $100,000, including the chief executive of Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Kansas, Maine, and Oregon.
    Any federal employee collecting an annual salary of $100,000 or more should be performing essential work and considered exempt from furlough during a government shutdown. Likewise, Congress which is expected to perform essential work should not be paid when it fails to pass an annual budget as required by law

This year, the Army National Guard teamed up with Superman on a $10 million “Soldier of Steel” promotional campaign, intended “to increase awareness and consideration of service opportunities in the National Guard.”

The recruitment ads “dovetailed with the release of the Warner Bros. blockbuster movie, ‘Man of Steel,’” the latest Superman movie
    and, strangely enough, with a downsizing of the National Guard

This year more than 100 individuals or families received loan guarantees for $500,000 or more from the U.S. Department of Agriculture to purchase a residence in Hawaii.

If these new homeowners later cannot afford their new homes, it’s no problem; the federal government will protect the banks from losses by repaying 90 percent of the loans.

These and thousands of other loan guarantees were issued this year by the USDA Rural Housing Service (RHS) Section 502 loan programs. The “Section 502 guarantee program and Section 502 direct loan program provide loans to low and moderate income individuals for the purchase of modest housing in a rural area. The programs had authority to guarantee $24 billion in privately sourced loans and make $900 million in new direct loans for FY2013.”
    Coburn also comments that at the same time, USDA is actually cutting funds for housing for the poor, elderly and disabled in rural areas.

You can read the whole report at
    http://www.scribd.com/doc/192039604/Wastebook-2013FINAL
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com

4. The National Institute for Health spent $325,525 in a study showing wives should "calm down" to make their husbands and marriages happier.

In all fairness, that was worth every cent.
    During break time at obedience school, two dogs were talking.
    One said to the other..."The thing I hate about obedience school is you learn ALL this stuff you will never use in the real world."

Many who perform what most of us consider essential occupations earn on average far less than $100,000. A full-time public school teacher, for example, is paid about $56,000 a year.

With all the scientific, legal and high education jobs that would be needed to safeguard the nations food supply I have no problem believing that. Non-Essential does not by the way translate to able to carry out the function for which it was designed. As an example the CDC shut down its monitoring for food borne illness and replaced it with someone to call in staff if an outbreak had occurred. Fortunately there wasn't an outbreak, but if it had the recalls for bad product would have been delayed days at least increasing the amount of people made ill or died.

DOD grounded the Air Force Thunderbirds and Navy Blue Angels,4 yet still spent $631.4 million to construct aircraft they never intend to fly.5

Is this in regards to the C 130s? Both Sec def. Gates and Panetta has asked congress to stop sending them these planes because they have more than they can use, but congress has refused. Crazy stuff going on there.

These hardworking employees, caught in factors outside of their control, should not be confused with the “pillownauts” the space agency hired to lie around in bed and do nothing for 70 days.

If I recall this was for a study that will ultimately allow us to send a manned mission to Mars.

There is a ton of silliness that tax dollars are spent on, so don't take my defense of a couple of the line items as less than me agreeing with you, because I do on most of this stuff.
    During break time at obedience school, two dogs were talking.
    One said to the other..."The thing I hate about obedience school is you learn ALL this stuff you will never use in the real world."

Quote Originally Posted by Henlee View Post

In all fairness, that was worth every cent.
    Looking for a Stepford wife, are ya Henlee?

I never even knew that taxpayers helped support the R and D conventions! Wonder if any $ was allocated to any other parties' conventions?

However, this new bill is a step in the right direction: (newsletter from my Rep. Mike Fitzpatrick)
    This week, I joined with a bipartisan majority in the House to pass the Gabriella Miller Kids First Research Act[H.R. 2019]. The bill, which I co-sponsored, prioritizes taxpayer funding for scientific research of pediatric diseases and disorders such as cancer and autism by eliminating taxpayer funding for the Republican and Democratic national conventions.

Ask any parent – our kids always come first. This bill puts the critical need of increasing research funding for pediatric diseases ahead of politics.
    A bill has also been introduced to "correct" volunteer fire departments from being considered "employers" under Obamacare. PA has a LOT of volunteer firefighters.
    As it stands right now, volunteer fire departments are potentially considered employers, and their firefighters as paid employees – meaning, they’re subject to the same mandates and penalties found in the president’s healthcare law for businesses.

...I asked the IRS to clarify the rules – but two months later, I still haven’t heard back. That’s why I helped introduce the Protecting Volunteer Firefighters and Emergency Responders Act [H.R. 3685] that ensures the IRS cannot misinterpret Obamacare and hurt our volunteer first responders.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com