The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: When Govt Gets Too Big

The former Director of the Blackfeet Tribe’s Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) program has plead guilty to embezzlement and fraud after stealing nearly $300,000 from the federally funded program.

Between 2006, when Sandra Marie Sanderville became director, to her dismissal in 2010, Sanderville devised schemes in which she would overpay TANF beneficiaries, who would then cash the illicit checks and give a portion back to Sanderville. She would also provide checks to people who were not eligible for the program and receive portions back from that as well.

She later told investigators that she misled the beneficiaries by telling them that the extra money was from a grant or another fund and that the money they gave to her was going back to TANF.

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2014/03/07/fo...#ixzz2vLAWLZMp

Another example of how $75,000/year (roughly) can "disappear" and it doesn't get noticed. Then this person got paid for over a year while the justice system worked on the case. Maybe if such embezzlers knew that income would stop at the time of indictment, they would be more careful about stealing?

Every time I hear one of these stories, I think of how many others get away with their scams.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

http://americanthinker.com/blog/2014..._money_go.html
    Evidently, there was no money appropriated for "implementation" for O-care. The administration finally did come up with about $1,131,000,000 that was "scraped together" from other funding. However, an accounting for how this $ was spent is not yet available.

So, more has been spent on O-care than was directly appropriated for the program. That would sort of mess up the CBO's assessment of how much O-care is really costing.

The Obama administration got most of the money last year from Sen. Tom Harkin’s cherished Prevention and Public Health Fund. But the report also told us more about the other couch cushions — as the administration pulled money from various all-purpose department funds to help launch the law’s new health insurance exchanges.

A one-page table from the official explanation of the administration’s HHS budget shows that federal officials diverted more than $450 million from that prevention fund — which Republicans call a “slush fund” — to finance Obamacare work, including building HealthCare.gov.

They also pulled $300 million from something called the Non-Recurring Expenses Fund, an account that allows an agency to use money left over from prior years for one-time expenses.

And they found $268 million from the general program operations account at the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services — the main agency within HHS that’s implementing the health law — plus another $113 million from Sebelius’s “transfer authority.”

The numbers appear on page 349 of the budget justification, which lays out the reasoning for President Barack Obama’s latest budget request. It’s there because the omnibus spending bill signed in January required HHS to use that report to detail its Obamacare spending.

What we don’t know: The report doesn’t say anything about how the money was spent — just where it came from. It also doesn’t say how much more there might be from the sources that have been tapped before. That’s likely to make Republicans re-up their demands for greater transparency.

The more $ involved, the easier it is for more of it to slip between the cracks.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Not sure that it's the govt's job to delve this deeply into dietary habits. I mean, the govt texting you to keep you on your diet seems a bit much.

I also noticed that the committee is stressing carbon footprint as part of their assignment. Stretching things a bit? "The agenda" permeates everything.

The Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee on Friday emphasized the need for the group to institute “population behavior change” in order to engineer healthier Americans.
    Millen said the “potential is vast” for their recommendations, which deal with everything from “sustainability” in the food supply to “carbon footprints,” food deserts, alcohol consumption, and obesity “interventions.”
    Where will the govt get the $ to do "obesity interventions"?
    “From our food programs, WIC [Women, Infants, and Children], SNAP, and so forth, and the services that are under the jurisdiction of Health and Human Services, including the Centers for Disease Control, the National Institutes of Health, the U.S. health care system, as well as the public health system, the potential impact of the policy recommendations that emanate from our report are considerable,” she said.
    A webcam in every refrigerator, tofu in every pot?
    She also said the committee must be aware of “the importance of being culturally sensitive in developing effective interventions” and look into the “home-food environment” and “screen time” for how they influence behavior.
    Watch out for the "Pasta Police".
    There are five subcommittees within DGAC, one of which deals with “food sustainability” for the first time. During this discussion at the meeting on Friday, Miriam Nelson, a member of the DGAC committee, emphasized the need for the committee to focus on the environment.

“Footprint, you have to actually look at the whole footprint from the farm to fork, so to speak,” Nelson said.
    Guess they'll have to hire a few climate change scientists to help them out.
    Nelson emphasized that current European research has strongly encouraged “more of a plant-based diet” to address ecological sustainability, but said it is “not strictly a vegetarian diet.”
    Does that mean more kale, too?
    One example of a behavioral intervention was highlighted during the morning session. Deborah Tate, a cognitive-behavioral psychologist at the University of North Carolina’s Gillings School of Public Health, suggested ways the government could use text messages to get people to stick to their diet.
    In addition to Tate’s research, the NIH also spent $1,479,072 between 2009 and 2011 for a separate study, “TEXT4DIET.”
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com

Remember that guy who worked at the EPA and took months off by telling his colleagues he was working for the CIA? That story gets even better. He worked on many of the air quality regulations put out by the EPA ... but he had no credentials for that. He got his job at the EPA through a college buddy. And while he worked on this stuff, none of the other "experts" realized Mr. Beale had no scientific background about this stuff. He was paid around $200K/year for his services ... until he ended up in jail, that is.
    Beale is now in prison on theft charges after admitting he ditched EPA work, claiming to be a CIA spy. Republicans say the EPA should disclose the underlying science behind the regulatory decisions in which Beale took part.

EPA officials acknowledged Wednesday that agency officials in Democratic and Republican administrations were duped for years by Beale, but they defended the regulations on which he worked.
    The fact that the scientists and techincal experts working on these regulations couldn't tell that Beale was a fraud should raise alarm bells throughout the agency. Just what is the level of their expertise if he could fool them?
    http://americanthinker.com/blog/2014...expertise.html
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com