The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Honour dog leaves before being released

[QUOTE=Labs;1145539]A dog that breaks the sit and creeps on the honor is not automatically dropped....[/QUOTThis , breaking sit and creep , is totally different from what the OP described in their post. There the dog got up, left to sniff, and return to the truck.
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet SH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

Forgive me for coming in on your thread from across the sea!
    The original post was a clarification on rules. I can't comment on them ..mainly because I don't know all your rules in a test or trial, and I've never entered one.
    Over here we train extensively for the honour',whether that be in the shooting field on a walk up on live game being flushed and shot, or whether that is sitting at the line on a driven day with multiple game being shot. We also have zero tolerance to line manners (noise/movement/shuffle/lie downs/sniffing/marking/hard mouth/breaking/belly crawl ,in fact anything other than SIT! ) and all is conducted under the banner of 'Honouring' !...
    For 'myself' I do extensive work in the field working multiple dogs 'non-slip' so they all 'honour' each other ,even the fire breather' that ''wants them all''!...I admire them!...because it is 'all of them'.
    A fire breather' over here that 'breaks' or does not honour' has not been 'trained' to honour. Handlers that look for rules that exempt the training over here look for excuses in the training ,not the ability of the dog (imo).A dog that breaks/or does not honour in favour of the truck or some other interest over here,deserves the right to be trained right back on that truck before it is allowed to be in the honourable company again,rather than the argumentation or representation of the ruling (purely from my perception of rules) ..
    It's just my two cents from a 'limeys' view, nothing personal or directive in any way.
    One Shooter One Spaniel One Retriever

I like the post above.

I hate to say this, but I suppose we need to define " Honor"

I think it means respect, and to be in the ready if needed.

The posture if lying down, to me doesn't represent respect.
    Much like sitting down during the National Anthem.

Honoring ,to me , is a respectful postures gown to the working dog , much like military standing at attention.
    Last edited by MooseGooser; 09-12-2013 at 02:37 PM.
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.

And when it happens its a beautiful thing to watch, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by MooseGooser View Post
    I like the post above.

I hate to say this, but I suppose we need to define " Honor"

I think it means respect, and to be in the ready if needed.

The posture if lying down, to me doesn't represent respect.
    Much like sitting down during the National Anthem.

Honoring ,to me , is a respectful postures gown to the working dog , much like military standing at attention.
    Mike I'm going to disagree with the laying down - you are going to tell a Senior dog that just retrieved who is laying down quietly and honoring the working of the other dog is being disrespectful? I don't think dog's think like we do...I'm sorry but if Flash was here I'd tell him to piss on your leg and eat your samwhich if you told him he couldn't lay down on the honor!
    "You can't eat a pig whole, but you can eat a whole pig." - Joe S.

Proudly Owned By:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    MHR HR Flash Of Mischief SH CD CGC - Flash (10/15/98 - 10/8/12)
    Lightning Fast Quack Attacker*** - Bullet
    Gotta Heart Of A Warrior - Ranger (12/26/07 - 8/10/2010)
    SML's Gettin' Sexy With It*** - Tango
    FOM's Raising a Ruckus in the Rockies - Riot

Quote Originally Posted by FOM View Post
    Mike I'm going to disagree with the laying down - you are going to tell a Senior dog that just retrieved who is laying down quietly and honoring the working of the other dog is being disrespectful? I don't think dog's think like we do...I'm sorry but if Flash was here I'd tell him to piss on your leg and eat your samwhich if you told him he couldn't lay down on the honor!
    It's nothing personal, or even directive any individual dog!
    I would expect mine to be 'ready again'!?..not thinking ''the job is done''?..perhaps is a better way of explaining/interpretation?...I also believe dogs don't think like 'us'.
    But I do believe that I want one that is ready to do it all over again.
    Mine lay down in the kennel
    But I respect your dog.

To answer the OP's question. If the honor dog gets up and leaves the area designated by the Judges, it is failing to complete the honoring portion of the test and warrants a zero in trainability. (The dog/handler chose to avoid a designed portion of the test while under judgement.)

Quote Originally Posted by Swampcollie View Post
    To answer the OP's question. If the honor dog gets up and leaves the area designated by the Judges, it is failing to complete the honoring portion of the test and warrants a zero in trainability. (The dog/handler chose to avoid a designed portion of the test while under judgement.)
    That's about as simple as you can say it!...If you take out the 'by judges' and 'judgement' and replace with 'handler'?
    One could train for this, rather than 'rule' on it? perhaps.

Quote Originally Posted by polmaise View Post
    It's nothing personal, or even directive any individual dog!
    I would expect mine to be 'ready again'!?..not thinking ''the job is done''?..perhaps is a better way of explaining/interpretation?...
    One of my dogs often lies down on the honor at a Field Trial.

The competitive dogs over here go the the line hundreds (even thousands) of times during their lives. They get so used to honoring for another dog that they know that after the honor the job is done.

You can't blame the dogs for thinking "the job is done"when they have never gotten another retrieve after honoring in their entire lives at a Field Trial...........different game here and not at all related to hunting.

As an aside, when hunting and this same dog is asked to honor while another picks up a bird, he is definitely ready for another retrieve because he has learned that game too.

You cannot compare the two situations.
    If I/we/you can't continue to advance our methods that focus on making training easier to learn/less painful for the dogs, we have no right to be training them. (Alec Sparks)

FTCH AFTCH NOREMAC'S UNDERTAKER (DIGGER) QFTR JFTR
    -2012 Canadian National Amateur Retriever Championship Finalist
    -2011 Canadian High Point Qualifying Retreiver

BARFLY'S DEADLY AIM (SNIPER) QFTR JFTR
    -2012 Canadian High Point Qualifying Retriever
    -2011 Canadian High Point Junior (Derby) Champion

Wow, tough judges! I take the view that rules are written often without full fleshing out for every conceivable occurrence within their pervue this might be one reason why judging standards differ both in retriever competitions and in the courts.
    If the situation the OP describes occurred before me as a judge I would look beyond the Letter of the rule and look at the Intent of the rules concerning the "Honour". The assumption of those who crafted the rules was that any dog on Honour, if it were to leave the line, might reasonably be expected to be headed in the direction of the marks...this is what many of us experience in training and it is understandable that this would be the common expectation in competition. The intent of the honour rule appears to be a test of a dog's ability to stifle its drive and desire and not retrieve or interfere with the retrieve of birds meant for another, this is just my interpretation only but it will affect how I would call this.

If this occurred in a hunt test, I would score down on trainability and nothing more providing there was no drama or disruption caused by the exiting dog.
    If this occurred in a Field Trial, I would make note and it would weigh in with all other considerations in deciding upon a placement or otherwise.
    power without lumber, raciness without weediness

A big man never looks down on others.... instead, he is someone to look up to.