The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Torn Pad

Default Torn Pad

I have a dog that is getting ready for a hunt test next weekend, but he tore his pad on his toe on the back leg. How long do does he need to sit out for this thing to get better? We are going on day 3 and he still is not putting pressure on it. He needs to be training but I want his foot to heal. Is there anything other than time to help him in this process?

Been to see the vet yet? Pad's take time to heal, you might want to think about scratching next weekend

I had a dog that got a pretty bad cut on a pad. I went to the vet for antibiotic to avoid infection. The vet told me that we could do some swimming in clean water, but lay off the training for a few weeks. I think my guy took close to a month to heal.

I would not feel that a HT was important enough to run an injured dog in. Especially with hunting right around the corner, I'd just want my dog healed up for the real game...
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

I feel for you as we just scratched a pup from a hunt test after a pad injury. Had pad stitched and going on day 6 of healing. Vet advised no training until fully healed. We are spraying with vetricyn and applying polysporin before he goes to bed every night. Vet also put him on a weeks worth of antibiotics to prevent possible infection. Good luck with your pup and hoping for a speedy recovery.

My dogs have had cut pads in the past. Generally, I figure two weeks out of training maybe more if it's bad, but they're usually raring to go after two weeks and I haven't done any further damage starting to run them after two weeks. Monitor it and use common sense.

If it is a big open cut see your vet. I don't go to the vet for a simple slice (unless it's big and deep) or a patch of skin missing on the pad.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

If it's not to bad just tender, I put a boot on him for a few days, and see how it heals up. That's always helped my dogs, and lets them run without re-damaging the foot.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

Good advice for cut pads. If from rough terrain where it's just the surface I put neosporin on for a couple of days.Used a product called Mushers something or other ( don't have the jar in front of me) that coated the pad and we were up and running in around a little more than a week.
    Jeff Gruber
    working on pelts
    Duckponds Prize Package
    CK'S Contessa (avatar)
    Ice Chilled Juice

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by labsforme View Post
    Good advice for cut pads. If from rough terrain where it's just the surface I put neosporin on for a couple of days.Used a product called Mushers something or other ( don't have the jar in front of me) that coated the pad and we were up and running in around a little more than a week.
    Musher's Secret, good stuff and it dries so it doesn't attract dirt. Also keeps snow from building up. It makes excellent gun wax as well.

We had a big cut in a back foot pad last year. Three weeks off training until it was closed up.
    -Barton Ramsey

You can close it up using super glue, put a boot on the foot and use plenty of duct tape to hold it on. Be careful not to get the tape so tight to cut off circulation. It will keep the dog from messing with it and that will speed healing. However, you have to keep him out of the water. Don't think you better try the test.
    "When a man is proud of his dog and shows it, I like him. When his dog is proud of him and shows it, I deeply respect him. Gene Hill