The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dog First Aid Kit

Quote Originally Posted by truka View Post
    In a recent copy of Retriever News there was a very complete list of items to keep in a canine first aid kit. I'll try to find a link or upload the list this evening.
    -Trudie
    It was very good and also sort of went soup to nuts from what was very essential and basic to the more "just-in-case" kinda stuff

I am an RN and made my own kit, that I have with me at all training and HT. Most of what it has in it has been listed here. Those instant ice packs are great, I pack 2, would put in more if going to isolated and/or hot place. I also added 2 bandanas to the list already posted. They can be used for many purposes from making up a quick muzzle to soaking them to cool a dog, wrapping a larger wound, etc. and I also have a collapsible water bowl and tube of Nutri Cal. Hydrogen peroxide makes a dog vomit if ingested something they shouldn't have. Pepto will settle stomach and diarrhea, both dog and human. I add human Tylenol and Aleve(Naprosyn) NOT to be given to dogs, but for me!

Guys, thanks for all of the input. I got the kit recommended by Gulfcoast from gundogsupply.com. I also got a few tubes of EMT gel. I think the kit is a great starting point. I also added more bandages, and drugs for both humans, and dogs. Everything together was about $135. I think it is worth the cost. I hope I never have to use it.
    HRCH UR01 CH UNJ WHISKEY CREEK'S DUKE CHASCERI MH
    Cherokee Foothills HRC

Mines in my truck because it's just as good for humans as dogs. When traveling for hunting I might add/remove stuff. Sterile pads, vet wrap, sutures, two pairs of heavy pliers one regular one needlenose(porcupine thinking) razor knife, hemostats, waxed thread, superglue, contact lens saline, emergency blankets, bandaids, honey or Karo syrup(for heat exhaustion important early hunting season) toenail clippers, alcohol swab pads, rubber gloves, colorless iodine, novalsan paste and liquid, aspirin, metronizodol,(sp?), a FLASHLIGHT! rubber tubing, sports tape and I recently added Benadryl after having to borrow some when a dog got stung on the lip. I always have my coveralls and a few bottles of water behind the seat as well. I used to have a collapsible fabric muzzle although, not sure what happened to it. Would like to get one again.