The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hunting Spots GDG

Default Hunting Spots GDG

Is it rude to blindfold the occasional hunting buddy who develops no new good spots of his own when taking him to a secret public honey hole?
    We shoot dogs with a Canon

Never had to blind fold my Lab. Most of the time the only buddy I need.

Absolutely, I took a buddy to two spots and low and behold he has gotten permission every year since. It really pisses me off, because he never stops and knocks on doors to gain new farms. Personally I think you should be allowed to stone them if they do.
    The foundation to a great retriever is obedience.
    Firestorms Full Throttle Chevy aka Callie-Roo 7/5/2007 - 10/25/2013 I miss you every day
    Proud owner of Kona's Surfer Girl, aka Loki.

hunting spots are as sacred as training grounds, and the urge to show off both are very powerful, but with the use of GPS and other location tools attached to pics, I wont post said pics of those "honey holes"..I was taken to a few new spots just last month that have been in play for some time....and that was from a family member..All it takes is to get you favorite place snaked once by a "friend" and you will look at who you take where and when
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

If someone takes me to a honey hole, I make sure I never return there unless they take me there or they no longer desire to hunt there. I also defer to them for first shot on birds. I find it only respectful and proper field etiquette. Now HNTFSH and Melatone I'll gladly accept the blindfolding if you're willing to share some honey holes.
    OWNED BY:
    Longhorn Lacey's Boomerang "Boomer"
    Brio's Jollycurl to Bravo First Over Under JH WCX "Parker"

Kyle Crump

Might be time to find new friends! I've been really lucky with the few guys I hunt with as far as sharing the load scouting and finding spots. I would be really pissed if someone piggy backed me all the time, probably wouldn't hunt with em any more.

Once ran a hunt-test senario, where the object was to sneak into a public honey-hole, use the decoys already left there, quick shoot your ducks, and get back to the truck before the other hunters showed up & caught yah. I wonder where the judge ever got the idea for such a scenario, Public hunting spots are scared; blind-folding and riding in the trunk is to be expected
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 09-12-2013 at 01:40 AM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

Under-cutting another person’s X spot, especially private, is cause for a good ol’ a-whooping. Once seen an “intruder” land face down in a cornfield only to watch him come to and have to stumble around and pick up a bunch of field decoys with his buddies. Glad I wasn’t in his party.

Absolutely not, and remove the battery from their phone so they can't GPS it.
    Nothing worse then showing up at your "spot" and having someone you brought there already hunting it.
    Live and learn, as always I learn the hard way

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

Quote Originally Posted by ndk3819 View Post
    Might be time to find new friends!
    ha...I actually quit the take-a-guy hunting thing many years ago. For all the reasons stated by above hunters. Doesn't mean I don't bust a couple chops every year about their efforts in securing there own spots but it NEVER happens. Tell 'em - love ya man but I don't need help shooting birds, do need help sharing new spots.

It's a tit-for-tat in my book and your tit better be scouted,, hunted and not some icon on a state map convenient to get too.

What's always ironic is these are the same guys that complain about 'so many hunters' out there and too crowded. Hell...you could write it down for them on how to be successful and they still wouldn't get it/do it.

So yes - if i pay back a favor (which I'm happy to do) it is only on Private where I control it or on public - with a blindfold!!
    We shoot dogs with a Canon