The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Heart Guard

Default Heart Guard

first dog - (so excuse my lack of knowledge). Ran out of HeartGuard, got busy .... forgot.... to refill prescription and did not give 7 month old lab his heart guard tablet - is this cause for concern or can he miss a month with no side effects? Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by esoxhawk View Post
    first dog - (so excuse my lack of knowledge). Ran out of HeartGuard, got busy .... forgot.... to refill prescription and did not give 7 month old lab his heart guard tablet - is this cause for concern or can he miss a month with no side effects? Thanks in advance
    no side effects but a month of potential exposure to heartworm disease, if you forget a dose don't wait until the next scheduled dose, give it immediately and continue on schedule, have a heartworm test done 4-6 months after the missed dose

Call your vet. I think heart worm test does not show until 6 months + but yes cause for concern. U CAN NOT miss heart worm meds. Very serious. I have reminders on every calendar in house and a reminder on my phone. Probably ok since it's still a pup. But again call ur vet and get taken care of.
    Bryan Corbett
    Ten Bears Wild Road Trip "Reece"

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan 3x View Post
    Call your vet. I think heart worm test does not show until 6 months + but yes cause for concern. U CAN NOT miss heart worm meds. Very serious. I have reminders on every calendar in house and a reminder on my phone. Probably ok since it's still a pup. But again call ur vet and get taken care of.
    Why would it be OK because the dog is a puppy? I don't understand how a puppy would have a better chance of fighting off a heartworm infection from a mosquito bite than any other dog who was not on hearworm preventative.

BTW, the OP already got an answer from a veterinarian on this thread.

Regarding your comment about calendars, you can also get Merial (Heartguard manufacturer) to send you an e-mail on a specific day of the month. Nothing like seeing it in your inbox every month to help you remember.
    ---------------------------------------------
    HRCH "Boomer" MH
    UH HR "Hunter" SH (RIP)

"When you go to a test or a trial, your dog should be underwhelmed." ~ Evan Graham

"It is unreasonable to expect a dog to be more precise than you are." ~ Rex Carr

"You own what you condone." ~ Mike Lardy

]Why would it be OK because the dog is a puppy? I don't understand how a puppy would have a better chance of fighting off a heartworm infection from a mosquito bite than any other dog who was not on hearworm preventative.

BTW, the OP already got an answer from a veterinarian on this thread.

Regarding your comment about calendars, you can also get Merial (Heartguard manufacturer) to send you an e-mail on a specific day of the month. Nothing like seeing it in your inbox every month to help you remember.[/QUOTE]

You are absolutely correct. It is serious regardless of the age. I was figuring as a pup I had mine in the house and the exposure was less outside. Chance I figured were slimmer. Not that it could fight anything off. I just don't miss the meds. Some people don't understand how serious it is. That's why I suggested to call his vet.
    Bryan Corbett
    Ten Bears Wild Road Trip "Reece"

That stuff does not work around here anyway.

Since the OP has said he was a newbie, allow me to explain something many on here probably already know but many dog owners do not:

Heartguard (and I believe other HW preventatives as well) works in a retroactive manner. In other words, when you take a 30 day dose of Heartguard it protects your dog from what it was exposed to in the PREVIOUS 30 days, NOT the NEXT 30 days. Heartguard and most if not all HW preventatives work by killing the Heart Worm larvae that have infected your dog within the previous 30 days. They do not prevent contracting the larvae, they just kill the immature larvae. This IMO is why Dr. Ed said above that when you miss a dose, give it immediately.

Lets say you always give it on the first of the month. When you gave it on August 1 it protected the dog from what it encountered since 7/1. When you missed the 9/1 dose and didn't give it until 9/10 for example, that dose protected the dog from what it may have encountered/contracted since 8/10, so what the dog is vulnerable to is larvae it may have been infected with from 8/1 to 8/10. Bottom line, if you are late, give it ASAP.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm very confident that this info is correct although I'm not a veterinarian.
    HRCH "Boomer" MH
    UH HR "Hunter" SH (RIP)

"When you go to a test or a trial, your dog should be underwhelmed." ~ Evan Graham

"It is unreasonable to expect a dog to be more precise than you are." ~ Rex Carr

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan 3x View Post
    I was figuring as a pup I had mine in the house and the exposure was less outside. Chance I figured were slimmer. Not that it could fight anything off.
    OK, I see where you were coming from.

Around here, especially with the wet year we've had the mosquitoes are thick and I don't think any dog that ever goes outside is safe.
    HRCH "Boomer" MH
    UH HR "Hunter" SH (RIP)

I don't disagree with anything said about the seriousness or the way the meds work, but it does take 6 months for the larvae to mature. Give it to your dog when you get it, and get back on your routine schedule... But no reason to be worried.
    -Barton Ramsey