Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Milton Friedman: Big Government

Default Milton Friedman: Big Government

Just for some fun ...
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...set=a.16062348
    9547.115359.5633824547&type=1&relevant_count=1&ref =nf

Hope this works.

Edit: I tried it ... just make sure to highlight the entire two lines of the URL.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Clinchy View Post
    Just for some fun ...
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...set=a.16062348
    9547.115359.5633824547&type=1&relevant_count=1&ref =nf

Hope this works.

Edit: I tried it ... just make sure to highlight the entire two lines of the URL.
    If you haven't read his book Free to Choose(notice the word FREE), you would enjoy it. Even a liberal would understand it. He might not like it but if he would open his mind he might understand it.

Quote Originally Posted by caryalsobrook View Post
    If you haven't read his book Free to Choose(notice the word FREE), you would enjoy it. Even a liberal would understand it. He might not like it but if he would open his mind he might understand it.
    I read Free To Choose many years ago. Still have it around, and have been meaning to re-read it. Can't remember who had recommended it to me.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Uncle Miltie was great for America and was one of the few bright spots in the Reagan Administration.

"He served as a member of President Reagan's Economic Policy Advisory Board starting at 1981. In 1988, he received the Presidential Medal of Freedom and the National Medal of Science. He said that he was a libertarian philosophically, but a member of the U.S. Republican Party for the sake of "expediency" ("I am a libertarian with a small 'l' and a Republican with a capital 'R.' And I am a Republican with a capital 'R' on grounds of expediency, not on principle.")

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milton_Friedman

Friedman was our hedge against the Keyesians. LOts of great quotes and I still watch his "greed" video on Youtube when confronted by afternoon TV show host calling his economic policy greedy.
    Last edited by Franco; 09-04-2013 at 12:14 PM.
    It's such a shame that in the USA, defending Liberty has become such a heroic deed.

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    Uncle Miltie was great for America and was one of the few bright spots in the Reagan Administration.

"He served as a member of President Reagan's Economic Policy Advisory Board starting at 1981. In 1988, he received the Presidential Medal of Freedom and the National Medal of Science. He said that he was a libertarian philosophically, but a member of the U.S. Republican Party for the sake of "expediency" ("I am a libertarian with a small 'l' and a Republican with a capital 'R.' And I am a Republican with a capital 'R' on grounds of expediency, not on principle.")

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milton_Friedman

Friedman was our hedge against the Keyesians. LOts of great quotes and I still watch his "greed" video on Youtube when confronted by afternoon TV show host calling his economic policy greedy.
    Your post brings to mind the creation of the Becker Friedman Institute for Economic Research founded at the University of Chicago. More than 170 professors signed a petition ridiculing Friedman as one of the most polarizing individuals at the University for embrassing the benefits of a free market based capitolistic society. Rather than have an open discussion of different ideas, these professors choose to ridicule and deny the students of their FREEDOM TO CHOOSE among differing ideas. To me this was the height of diggotry. Rather than an OPEN discussion of differing ideas, they prefer that a government system of managed markets be the only choice offered to its students.

Your post brings to mind the creation of the Becker Friedman Institute for Economic Research founded at the University of Chicago. More than 170 professors signed a petition ridiculing Friedman as one of the most polarizing individuals at the University for embrassing the benefits of a free market based capitolistic society. Rather than have an open discussion of different ideas, these professors choose to ridicule and deny the students of their FREEDOM TO CHOOSE among differing ideas. To me this was the height of diggotry. Rather than an OPEN discussion of differing ideas, they prefer that a government system of managed markets be the only choice offered to its students.
    Cary, are you certain about what you posted? I'd never heard of the Becker Friedman Inst for Economic Research so I decided to Google it. Maybe I hadn't heard of it because Uncle Miltie has been deceased for a good while and the institute didn't become a reality until 2011.
    http://bfi.uchicago.edu/about/

As far back as I can remember, Friedman championed Free Markets, condemed Crony Capitalism and was the major supporter of small businesses. Three ideals only Libertarians support as a political party.
    Last edited by Franco; 09-04-2013 at 07:02 PM.
    It's such a shame that in the USA, defending Liberty has become such a heroic deed.

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    Cary, are you certain about what you posted? I'd never heard of the Becker Friedman Inst for Economic Research so I decided to Google it. Maybe I hadn't heard of it because Uncle Miltie has been deceased for a good while and the institute didn't become a reality until 2011.
    http://bfi.uchicago.edu/about/

As far back as I can remember, Friedman championed Free Markets, condemed Crony Capitalism and was the major supporter of small businesses. Three ideals only Libertarians support as a political party.
    I never once heard him use the phrases "small business" or "chrony capitalism". What I heard were the terms "free Market" and "individual freedoms". He even called himself an "usltr liberal", something totally averse to the ideas of those who call themselves "liberal". My sister , a liberal retired college professor of economics, who I asked if she educated her students of the ideas of Friedman responded that she mentioned him. All she wants to talk about is Keynesian Economics. Colleges of today rather than promoting differing ideas and challenging students to THINK FOR THEMSELVES, choose to use their positions to spout their own personal views and ridicule opposing views. The protest of the professors at the Univ of Chicago is a clasic example of their bigotry. Sadly they use the gov. to promote their agenda rather than teaching the students to listen to differing viewpoints and learn to THINK FOR THEMSELVES.

I never once heard him use the phrases "small business" or "chrony capitalism". What I heard were the terms "free Market" and "individual freedoms". He even called himself an "usltr liberal", something totally averse to the ideas of those who call themselves "liberal". My sister , a liberal retired college professor of economics, who I asked if she educated her students of the ideas of Friedman responded that she mentioned him. All she wants to talk about is Keynesian Economics. Colleges of today rather than promoting differing ideas and challenging students to THINK FOR THEMSELVES, choose to use their positions to spout their own personal views and ridicule opposing views. The protest of the professors at the Univ of Chicago is a clasic example of their bigotry. Sadly they use the gov. to promote their agenda rather than teaching the students to listen to differing viewpoints and learn to THINK FOR THEMSELVES.
    Thanks for claifying. Friedmam was the hedge vs Keynes. I think we will be forced through the devaluation of the dollar to become more Austrian in Economics as the Keynes' view proves faulty. Hopefully, we won't be hearing from Krugman either.

Some great advice from Financial terrorist & Keynesian, bin Bernake.
    Last edited by Franco; 09-06-2013 at 06:57 PM.

I don't believe Friedman was an Austrian. I've always understood he was a monetarist or of the "Chicago school".