RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Colorado Flooding

7K views 33 replies 17 participants last post by  DKR 
#1 ·
I've been watching the news of all that crazy weather and flooding in Colorado. I sure hope all our retriever friends are safe!

#2 ·
It has been raining since Monday. Up and down the Front Range most everything close to water, below dams, creeks, rivers is not a good place to be. I've been here 14 years and never seen anything close to this amount of rain.

#3 ·
So many of us were at Berthod (on I25 right between Loveland and Longmont) last weekend at a hunt test, and it was so blazing hot and dry as to be a challenge to keep the dogs performing. This weekend, wow, what a difference. We took the highway to Estes Park awhile back and chuckled over the sign that says "when creek rises move to higher ground"... that's right about where the highway is now washed out. Drove right through Lyons, which is now isolated. What a difference a couple of rainy days can make...

#5 ·
So far we have only had a steady rain for an few days. Unusual, but nowhere like what is happening in CO! Be safe!

#6 ·
Steady rain never causes flooding- my Corporate offices were evacuated at 1 yesterday. Haven't heard anything new yet today. No emails so I assume nobody is back in yet.

#7 ·
The rain is crazy! 14" in 24 hours at Fort Carson. They actually closed Cheyenne Mountain Air force Station (NORAD)...and if I heard the news correctly it's for everyone to include mission essential personnel...that is a first!

Good news: pond is FULL :) (hope the dam holds)
Bad news: drive way is washing away and I have huge ruts forming :(

We need rain, but dang this is crazy...

#8 ·
Wife and I are both born and raised in Colorado. I recall the Big Thompson flood, that too was a real wet year, then the rain hit over the Big Thompson area at night, the resulting flood killed a lot of people. I saw the flood roaring down into Manitou Springs earlier this Summer. Hope it calms and no one else is killed or injured. I was up in the Taylor Reservoir area this July and the lake was lower than it has ever been. Maybe this rain season has a silver lining and the water tables in Colorado will get corrected.....Good Luck

#28 ·
We have had clouds and daily rain all week, but as far as I know there isn't any serious flooding here. Probably some minor stuff. I do have moss growing in the back yard though ;)

#10 ·
Just to give everyone an idea of how bad it is, there aren't that many major highways through CO and almost all of them are closed somewhere:

The following roadways are closed to traffic (both directions unless noted):
· Interstate 70 westbound at Beaver Brook (rockslide east of Twin Tunnels) - Anticipate one lane traffic in each direction open in approximately one hour
· Interstate 25 southbound from Wyoming border to SH 402
· Interstate 25 northbound from State Highway (SH) 7 to SH 14
· Interstate 25 southbound SH 14 to SH 402
· I-25 Northbound / Southbound Ramps to State Highway 119
· I-70 eastbound off-ramp to Quebec Street
· I-70 eastbound off-ramp to southbound I-225
· U.S. 6 (Vasquez Boulevard) between 60th Avenue and 74th Avenue
· U.S. 34 between Glade Road and Estes Park
· U.S. 36 eastbound from Table Mesa Drive to 96th Street
· U.S. 36 between Boulder and Estes Park
· SH 119 between Boulder and Nederland (Boulder Canyon)
· SH 119 between County Line Road and I-25
· SH 14 between Ted’s Place and Walden
· U.S. 287 at Big Thompson River in Loveland
· SH 7 between Lyons and Estes Park
· SH 8 between Morrison and U.S. 285
· SH 30 (Havana Street/Aurora) at Alameda Avenue
· SH 44 (104th Avenue) at Riverdale Road
· SH 52 eastbound from County Road (CR) 1 and U.S. 287
· SH 60 at CR 46
· SH 66 between 53rd Street (Longmont) and Lyons
· SH 66 between CR 13 and CR 19
· SH 72 between 72nd and 80th avenues
· SH 72 between SH 93 and SH 119 (Coal Creek Canyon
· SH 72 at Allenspark
· SH 74 at CR 73 (Evergreen)
· SH 83 (Parker Road) between Florida and Jewell avenues
· SH 93 between 64th Avenue and SH 128
· SH 265 (Old Brighton Road) at Colorado Boulevard (Commerce City)

#11 ·
My office gal just emailed she's at work in Commerce City office so that is good news. Our Sedalia Construction office remained open.

#27 ·
All of the Loveland water (big Thompson) Longmont water(little thompson) and Ft collins water (Poudre River) all dumps into the south Platte that goes right past Orchard, so if it doesnt take the bridge out out there should be fine, alot of water headed that way though.

#13 ·
Dr. Ed,

Not a clue, I'm at home, David is STILL trying to figure out how to get to CLs and pick up Tango, he left here at 5:00am and still no joy...if he manages to get Tango, he still has an hour+ drive to Orchard. No one there is answering text messages or phone calls (but cell service is limited, so...) My guess is David is going to have to scratch and try and figure out how to get home?

FOM

#14 ·
Just curious, do they ever cancel a trial for extreme weather like this? Or is a scratch and partial refund the best one can hope for? I know expenses have already been incurred by the club. Can they postpone?

#17 · (Edited)
/Paul - we are safe from the flooding; the sump pump at the house in Fountain "should" be going crazy, but power was out last I heard and I need to get down to that house and verify our freezer with the elk meat is okay, too. Possible that the basement is flooded....our new house is okay, it sits on a hill, other than my drive being washed away (thank god for 4 wheel drive) we are safe...

Edit: Just talked to David and he finally got Tango and is on his way to the trial...only 6 hours! I'm so glad I stayed home...

#19 ·
We actually had company out on Monday, waiting for their estimate for the earth work...and it has rained everyday since then, too.

#25 ·
Our house backs to a ditch that usually just has a trickle of water in it.

was class 5 rapids yesterday, There were 2 guys Kayackin it,,

my kinda folk!

#32 ·

Holy Carp!!!! Terry's Grandfather lived in Frederick (just down the street) all his life- worked in the coal mines there. I grew up a few miles from Firestone and don't remember even a small creek in that area- must be just surface water. Good old Platte River- mile wide, and an inch deep. Too thick to drink and too thin to plow. Still - it drains a LOT of country and can get huge in a minit.

Hope everyone is safe regards

Bubba

#31 ·
I grew up in Boulder...I remember when the flash flood wiped Cinderella City off the map-just gone. Scary. Be safe, please....

#33 ·
Living along the Mississippi Rive all my life in a river town ,I feel the pain of this flooding. In 1993 we lived in an area that flooded. My parents owned our house,and 3 rentals on the same street. When the river finally consumed our neighborhood we had standing water up to the 1st floor ceilings for several weeks. I was in my junior year of high school and the emotional stress it put on my parents was overwhelming. Within a year of the flood they where divorced. Floods can change your life!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.