The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trainers Around San Antonio

Default Trainers Around San Antonio

Hello all, new to posting here but have been reading for awhile now. I will be picking up a chocolate lab female pup in a couple of weeks and am looking for trainers in my area to take her to once she is old enough. I have done a lot of research, and have had other dogs before, but never done any formal hunting or obedience training with them. I'm not looking to run her in field trials or hunt tests, but I will use her for dove hunting and as a family dog, and maybe some duck hunting in the future. She will be an inside dog so house manners are a must. We also have an RV and go camping quite a bit so she'll be along for that. I live on over 100 acres with a couple of tanks and a creek and plan on having her down there quite a bit as well. I would like to find a trainer that will allow me to stay involved, even if only once a week, so finding one fairly close will help. I have searched the internet and have found a few, but I know there are more around that don't have websites. If you know of any or have any recommendations of some between San Antonio and Austin area that would much appreciated. My plan is to talk to as many of them as I can, and even go and watch them work with the dogs they are training.

So far I have talked to the following:

Rave Retrievers
    Cibilo Creek Kennels
    Ryckman Kennels.

My breeder had recommended Best retrievers and Stellar retrievers for training, but they are quite a ways from me, so I'd like to find someone closer if possible.

Thanks in advance,

Jeff

Hi Jeff, I live in eagle pass Texas and have heard good things about best retrievers on other Internet forums. I personally don't know of anyone.
    I have been doing my own training so I wouldn't be of much help.

MannyG

Curious why San Antonio if you live in Spring Branch?

I'm assuming that this Spring Branch is the one about 35 miles north of San Antonio on SH 281. Not the inner-Houston village as we both originally thought.

That's correct, I'm about 30 miles north of San Antonio right near Canyon Lake. San Antonio, New Braunfels, Boerne are all close, and south Austin is only an hour or so away.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffro3967 View Post
    That's correct, I'm about 30 miles north of San Antonio right near Canyon Lake. San Antonio, New Braunfels, Boerne are all close, and south Austin is only an hour or so away.
    Check out Clayton Taylor at Muddy Paws Retrievers. He is an excellent trainer and great with young dogs. www.muddypawsretrievers.com

Thanks KeithC, I'll take a look at them also.

Jeff, you can also contact the ARC ( Alamo Retriever Club) in San Antonio here, if you are interested in working /training your dog yourself. We ahve a good core group of trainers that get together for training days. Give a call if you want to or email a PM. Jay Brown

Jay, thanks for your reply to my post. I have looked at the website for the Alamo Retriever Club but wasn't sure if the club was still active. I'm not able to view the calendar(maybe because I'm not a member), and the date for the next listed meeting didn't coincide with the correct day of the week so I figured it was not up to date. Is there a training day coming soon or an event I may be able to attend, even though I don't have my pup yet? I would really like to get a look at what the club has going on if possible, and would like to stay as involved as possible with my pups training when I do get her and she's ready.

I'm not able to send pm's yet as I don't have enough posts.

Try Darrell Layman hour south of San Antonio. Darrell has done several demonstrations at the stockmens show in March. PM me if you would like his phone number.
    Warren Price
    w. price