The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Test Book

Default Test Book

I'm sure this question has been asked before, but does anyone have a book they suggest that explains the AKC and HRC hunt tests? I've looked at a couple books from James Spencer about Hunt tests but not sure if I should purchase those or something else.

Spencer's book is fine. You will never get the full picture from a book. THE best thing you can do is go to a test and watch each level for an hour or so. It will fill in a lot of the "white" on the pages of a book.
    Wm. Mark Edwards
    Pascagoula, MS

HRCH (500) UH Ellie Mae MH
    SHR Tipsy

You can order from both AKC an HRC their rule books. They do discripe how the test somewhat.

I have gone and watched a few run when I have ran Juniors or Started, but I was hoping there was something I could read to get a little more familiar with the differences between AKC/HRC and also set up ideas etc. The rulebooks are great, I was just looking for something "more".

If interested in concept type set ups...Look at a simple double ,2 birds...there is only 2 directions to throw them ...#1,both the same direction, R or L....#2 in opposite directions ...All you do is vary the distance between them to come up with a test ...one long ,one shorter ...both equal distance ...Add factors to the line to complicate the route to the fall and influence the dogs route....Use your imagination to set up the location of the marks....Steve S
    "Your dog learns as much by doing his work right,by your praise and encouragement, as he does by your displeasure and correction." DLWalters