The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mosquitos and Kennels

Default Mosquitos and Kennels

Please help me with any thoughts or ideas about kennels in mosquito prone areas. I live in South Carolina in a somewhat rural setting with woods in the backyard and a swamp in the woods. Even out in the open near the house Mosquitos (skeeters to me) are pretty bad. They number in the millions and are so big we think they are interbred with crows. (Crowsquitos) But seriously i am concerned they would torment my dogs in a kennel. I have thought of bug zappers, using K-9 Advantix, etc. What do those of you who like me live in skeeter prone areas do? As always any help is appreciated.

Steve

Look up Country Vet Mosquito and Fly spray. It works in close areas. I get mine at tractor and supply. Its used in horse stalls.

I use Gordons Permithrin live stock spray from Tractor supply. It works really well. They have directions for dog lots. Don't spray it on your dog! Also spray Bug Block, from Tractor Supply, on a bandana. Let it dry, and put it around you the necks of the dogs. That helps a lot too. This also works really well for flees and ticks.

I used to start hunting in August down south of Columbia in the Four Hole Swamp. You had to anchor your self down or the skeeters would take you away....
    HRCH UR01 CH UNJ WHISKEY CREEK'S DUKE CHASCERI MH
    Cherokee Foothills HRC

Fans work the best. I have two outdoor box fans blowing 24/7 on the kennels.

Quote Originally Posted by rboudet View Post
    ^^^^ x2....very good advice!
    john mccallie

Thank you all for the advice. I had not thought of fans.

Thanks again!
    Steve T.

Quote Originally Posted by rboudet View Post
    Yes the fans discombobulate the skeeters,so they stay away.Direct drive and a little more expensive ,but with no belt,last way longer.Mine are on timer.3PM until 7AM

Quote Originally Posted by chuck187 View Post
    Also spray Bug Block, from Tractor Supply, on a bandana. Let it dry, and put it around you the necks of the dogs. That helps a lot too. This also works really well for flees and ticks.
    Wait...you put bandanas on what appears to be a lab??? Wish you could tag people like on FB to let them know it's not just Goldens that wear them!
    Steph

Brittany - Border Collie/Springer Spaniel CGC
    Meka- Basset/Aussie
    Zoe's Taller N Me - Zoe Irish Wolfhound 9/04/2004 - 11/20/2013 I love you Big Girl!
    Ember Raise The Bar CGC - Corona (a fluffy)
    Embers Aint Misbehavin - Flirt (Corona's mini me)

A good friend helps you up when you fall. A best friend pees their pants laughing and trips you again!

X3 on the fans. I have a bunch of rice fields around me that stay flooded most of the summer-mosquito heaven. Two years ago I had one of my dogs get heartworm while on a monthly preventative, so I sympathize with the bug problem. Anyway I started using two box fans, then I came across a 1/2 hp industrial fan with a sealed motor. Now, I only use it and it works great not only to keep the bugs off, but I think it helps a lot to keep the dogs cool. As a side benefit, I take the cage and fan off the motor in the winter and use the motor to run my duck plucker.

Quote Originally Posted by Ducks and Dogs SC View Post
    Thank you all for the advice. I had not thought of fans.

Thanks again!
    Steve T.
    I know a feller that used a bug sapper..Steve S
    "Your dog learns as much by doing his work right,by your praise and encouragement, as he does by your displeasure and correction." DLWalters