The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cant a guy/dog get a break?

Default cant a guy/dog get a break?

first dead tail, then kennel cough, now this...

entered our first derby for this weekend in st. louis. training for past 2-3 weeks has gone mostly good. no no-goes. so yesterdaywhile training alone rather than taking the wingers to the field and doing setups decided to do some remote sit/release hand thrown single marks. we had done about 5 or 6 and decided i'd end with a treeline mark. there's a barb wire fence in the treeline so i stayed about 50 yards in front of it. threw parrallel down the treeline. overall it was about a 175 yard mark. for the dog released him and as i'm watching him running my direction i'm thinking if he gets past this point i'll help him to the bird to avoid the fence. well he didnt even stop at the mark kept running by the time he crossed "the point of no return" he was doing 100mph i gave him a "hey hey hey" but it was too late. he'd jumped through the fence and then came back through to pick up the mark.

i initially looked at his face thinking that was what was gonna be impacted the most. no scratches everything looked fine ran my hand through his coat to find blood under his left armpit. Here it is rolled over
    securedownload11.jpg

here it is standing
    securedownload10.jpg

after consulting with my friend that is a vet tech i took him in this morning to get sedated, sutured, and drained rather than just stapling it. got a note and scratched this morning. if it aint one thing its another. so far this year we have lost a week of training to deadtail, 2.5 weeks to kennel cough, and a week and half to this.

tough luck, you got plenty of time.
    john mccallie

Hey He's a hunting dog, such are badges of honor . I've always just cleaned the wound, given them and myself a good strong shot of whiskey, stitched it up, another shot of whiskey, and by then things don't seems so bad We are good to go. If you get those barbed-wire cuts held together while they're fresh,they pretty much seal back and heal quickly. Not quickly enough to run this weekend though, but that gives you more time to train, Bad things happen in 3's right? So it's all uphill now .
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 09-13-2013 at 01:47 PM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

Oh brother.....that sucks, sorry.

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

Quote Originally Posted by uplandbird View Post
    Oh brother.....that sucks, sorry.

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner
    Damn Blake,you can have a kennel full and it seems it`s always the good ones that get hurt or sick.Think you need a spare for hunting season.I got 3 or 4 and sometimes that ain`t enough. Jim
    Jim Weitzel
    Proud member of Ole Roy prostaff

Consider yourself lucky. I do hope your dog heals completely, without complications so you will be able to continue training although you will lose derby time.

My luck has been much worse, but I won't highjack your thread.

Good luck,
    Paula

HR Dixie's Southern Comfort IV, MH

“The beauty of the Second Amendment is it will not be needed until they try to take it.” - Thomas Jefferson

Keep your whistle on you when you run marks like that. He will heal in no time

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Allen View Post
    Keep your whistle on you when you run marks like that. He will heal in no time
    i had my whistle but it all happened in like 3 seconds from time he entered the fall area to when he went through fence. he was hauling pretty quick.

hunt'em up: i considered fixing it myself with staples and what not but i would of forfeited my $75 entry fee since i needed a vet letter. so in my mind it was justified by spending $100 to get it done professionally and getting antibiotics plus i'll get back $75 from trial

image.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tough break. Hope it heals soon.

That St. Louis trial would have been a tough baptism. That was a stacked field and no doubt the judges would have thrown a ballbuster to get separation.
    Allen Dillard

HRCH Play It Again, Sam MH *** "Sam"
    Scout's High Calibre "Colt"
    Slippin' Up the Holler "Dooley"
    Lucky Number Seven VII "Layla"

the derby looks mostly like its all new dogs with less than 4 trials under their belts. with the exception of Wine i dont think any had any wins. bunch had JAMs though which is more than we can say. i saw Wine work last year i think she has to be the favorite going in.

stiches get taken out next friday 9/20. closing date for cimarron is monday (trial 9/27) is that pushing it? the letter my vet wrote for the trial said no water for 7-10 days. i wanted to say "you say that like there is a guarentee we'll get to the water series!" lol
    Last edited by blake_mhoona; 09-13-2013 at 06:56 PM.