The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Time for running the minor stakes ?

Default Time for running the minor stakes ?

(
    11) To the extent that time permits, Judges shall be
    generous in calling back those dogs whose abilities they
    wish to evaluate further
    Considering the entry fee charged in a lot of cases is comparable to the AA stakes, in a three day field trial how much time should be allocated/used for the minor stakes so that the judges can be generous with their call backs?

16. Retrievers should perform equally well on the land
    and in the water, and shall be thoroughly tested on both
    I for one want to see them all swim.......

john
    Last edited by john fallon; 09-13-2013 at 05:18 PM.
    "i guess the old saying 'those of us that think we know everything annoy those of you that does' " --bobbyb 9/13/06

"A Good Dog is a Good Dog"

All the derbies I ran were at least 4 series ..first 2 doubles on land the second two were water doubles...Steve S
    "Your dog learns as much by doing his work right,by your praise and encouragement, as he does by your displeasure and correction." DLWalters

This question also crossed my mind this week. When the derby follows a 66 dog Open and the same judges are used for the derby, how exhausted are the judges and does that make them speed things up. Especially when it's a humid 90 degrees - not that I would blame them... They are humans after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer Henion View Post
    This question also crossed my mind this week. When the derby follows a 66 dog Open and the same judges are used for the derby, how exhausted are the judges and does that make them speed things up. Especially when it's a humid 90 degrees - not that I would blame them... They are humans after all.
    the Right Coast & Left Coast handle judging assignments differently. I think the east does it better.
    Out west you often have just 2 sets of judges each doing double duty judging one major and one minor stake. This is not good.
    Here in the east we normally have 3 sets of judges or 3 1/2 and often 4 sets The all-age judges just do the Open or Am. The minor stakes Derby and Qual have the 3rd set of judges doing both. Sometimes a 7th judge will take judge 6's place for the later minor stake. The other times there will be 4 sets of judges. The better clubs will often have at least 1 derby judge of National caliber. there are trials were all age judges will do the derby or Q but it's not the norm like out west.
    All-age judge concentrate on all-age as they should and don't need to worry one whit about the minors.
    I think the left coast clubs are being far too cheap using only 4 judges.
    Last edited by Breck; 09-13-2013 at 08:18 PM.
    "Darla" AFC Candlewoods Lil Smokin Tequila (2002-2013)(fondly remembered)
    "Smoke" Smokin Auggies Menace, QAA (2003- )(retired nut case, ask Rando)
    "Simba" Humewood Simba (1999-2014)(my 1st dog)

Per favore, non mi rompere i coglioni.
    Grazie

to johns question the cost of entry fee has absolutly no bearing on minor stake time allocation or if any number of dogs will be called back.
    The higher entry fee will only translate into better minor stakes if the club actually spends money to bring in better judges rather than use the same old tired locals who haven't gotten a dog to the end of a derby or Q in like forever if at all.
    "Darla" AFC Candlewoods Lil Smokin Tequila (2002-2013)(fondly remembered)
    "Smoke" Smokin Auggies Menace, QAA (2003- )(retired nut case, ask Rando)
    "Simba" Humewood Simba (1999-2014)(my 1st dog)

Per favore, non mi rompere i coglioni.
    Grazie

Quote Originally Posted by steve schreiner View Post
    All the derbies I ran were at least 4 series ..first 2 doubles on land the second two were water doubles...Steve S
    Did any of these Derbies use more than one day ? Were the judges generous with their callbacks ? What percentage of the field got to see at least one set of watermarks?

BTW. In keeping with 16. above, I prefer to have the second series of the Derby be watermarks. If for some reason this is imposible, I want to see all that have not committed a mandatory elimination violation, or picked up, back for the third series.

john
    "i guess the old saying 'those of us that think we know everything annoy those of you that does' " --bobbyb 9/13/06

Quote Originally Posted by john fallon View Post
    Did any of these Derbies use more than one day ? Were the judges generous with their callbacks ? What percentage of the field got to see at least one set of watermarks?

BTW. In keeping with 16. above, I prefer to have the second series of the Derby be watermarks. If for some reason this is imposible, I want to see all that have not committed a mandatory elimination violation, or picked up, back for the third series.

john
    Sounds like you want derbies to be like little league baseball. A trophy for all?
    Bill Davis

Quote Originally Posted by Breck View Post
    to johns question the cost of entry fee has absolutly no bearing on minor stake time allocation or if any number of dogs will be called back.
    The higher entry fee will only translate into better minor stakes if the club actually spends money to bring in better judges rather than use the same old tired locals who haven't gotten a dog to the end of a derby or Q in like forever if at all.

The fee comparison was pointed out only to show the disparity in the value for service between the major and minor stakes. To take the same $85 for the minors and then give them the dregs is ludacris .... but that is the subject for a different thread .

john

Breck, I think, at least in California and Oregon, our population density and club memberships are much thinner than on the east coast. I don't know, but I'm guessing based on the limited knowledge I have of 6 different clubs that span from San Fran to Portland. This equates to less money in club coffers, fewer judges and workers.

Quote Originally Posted by john fallon View Post
    ludacris ....
    Huh???.....