The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Time for running the minor stakes ?

It seems to me that the time allotted in the major stakes sometimes requires some creativity on the judges part. In the minor stakes the time allotted is usually plenty. Sometimes the time actually used in minor stakes is the concern. In derbies, I'm all for calling back every dog that at least functions without a required elimination. I'm all for generous numbers of jams also, but it's very disappointing to run a three series Derby, and receive one of the seven or eight jams on Sunday at Noon.

Quote Originally Posted by counciloak View Post
    It seems to me that the time allotted in the major stakes sometimes requires some creativity on the judges part. In the minor stakes the time allotted is usually plenty. Sometimes the time actually used in minor stakes is the concern. In derbies, I'm all for calling back every dog that at least functions without a required elimination. I'm all for generous numbers of jams also, but it's very disappointing to run a three series Derby, and receive one of the seven or eight jams on Sunday at Noon.
    I agree with this. Run another series already.
    Bill Davis

Quote Originally Posted by Breck View Post

I think the left coast clubs are being far too cheap using only 4 judges.
    My friend, clubs on the west coast are not being cheap. They know their income and their expenses and plan accordingly. How many sets of judges to be used is determined by the size of entries. Clubs in the west know what the entry size was for their last trial and make their decisions on that. Trials in the west rarely (RARELY) have more than 75 in the Open; usually there are fewer dogs than 75. There are less in the Amateur. Quals usually are small (less than 25) as are Derbies. If the Derby entry is higher than 25, clubs tend to add judges. A 25-dog Qual or Derby is doable in one day if there are no hold ups and the time is managed well.

Helen

Typically Friday is Open and Qual with the Qual anticipated as being over Friday night. Am judges judge the Qual on Friday and the Am starts Sat. morning to run two days (Sat and Sun.) The Open runs Friday and Sat., to end on Sat. afternoon-early evening come hell or highwater so the Derby starts Sunday morning for a one-day Derby.

X2 give them a chance to "win" it. Nothing like going to line in the fourth.. Anything can happen.
    May you pin all the marks and line the blinds!!

Avatar courtesy of RTF"s TZAPPIA