The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: sometimes life just sort of kicks you in the gut.

Quote Originally Posted by boomer 453 View Post
    .....I'm pretty sure Roux will pull through-he's the most stubborn and bullheaded monster i've had the honor to own.

Thank You All for the well wishes- it means a lot.
    you goof ball!
    you don't own him, he owns you!
    thank you for the update.
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

So very sorry your family is going thru this trial. Hope all works out. Heart felt prayers sent, you have an extended retriever family behind you!

Quote Originally Posted by RO'MARA View Post
    Sorry to here about Roux I had a pup doing well this year and one of my neighbors shot him and he died on the way to the vets office. It sounds like your have learned a lot training him continue to use that knowlage in the future.
    holy carp!
    this is so sad!
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Man this was a tough read for me on a deep level. After washing out most dogs from more than 15 yrs and finding them a good home to start over again and again, i found the one i was looking for. He was the most intelligent, driven, and biddable animal i have worked with. I had my FT dog, finally! The dog that made me actually try to take it to that top level in retriever training. At 11 mos, we ran a fun derby, ran two derbies in the next two months and things were looking very promising. You could not knock him off line with a bull dozer, i just needed to get him to check up and breath when he got there...we were learning, it was a blast. He and i had a partnership, it was as easy as breathing when i trained him, it just fit. Then i got relocated for work, had to move on quick notice and was unloading the moving truck when he managed to get out of a porta kennel. i heard the car hit him and everything in me went hollow and numb. I think i turned inside out. Heck, this is hard for me to write....he did not make it 5 mins.

That was it, i was done with it. To say the wind was knocked out of me was an understatement. I yard broke my first bird dog at 4 yrs old and now i did not want a dog at all. Months passed and i started thinking that i was betraying all he had given me by not getting back to training. I found a litter, i liked of NFC Eba and a Bubba daughter and could not help it, we put in a deposit and away we went. I wish i could say that it all turned around, and it actually did, but not in a fair way to the new pup. That pup is now 8 yrs old and I am ashamed to say that it took me so long to every really get back into training regularly, that no one will ever really know how nice a dog she is. She deserved better and she is a game day dog. I would love to be able to wind back the clock and give her the chance she earned.....I have had 2 phenomenal dogs in the 30 or so i have owned. It is a shame that i did not realize what i had when i brought home the second one.

I agree. Someone who has not put the time and the heart into an working with a great animal can never really understand the loss of "what could have been",... but we can. There will be many folks on this thread that can relate.... Unfortunately, great loss seems to be the price of greater joy, the yin and yang.

Hang in there brother and i hope you recover more quickly than i did. And if, and hopefully when, you get that next great dog for your needs, i hope you are at a place that you can give him or her all you have.

yep, the back porch and cold drink sounds like a good idea

Bryan
    Last edited by deadriver; 09-19-2013 at 10:34 PM.
    "Dream big and dare to fail"

"Leadership in Service"

Checking in to see how y'all are doing....

Kristy
    & Ellie aka 'Richwood Work Hard Play Harder'

Sorry this happened. Glad to hear Roux will pull through. I bet he's going to be a great dog. Something special about dogs who overcome...
    Last edited by Scott R.; 09-22-2013 at 11:19 AM.

Default update and more problems.

Hi everyone- been a long road but Roux has healed as much as he's going to. he's managed to keep the front shoulder and is able to use it a little bit -mostly for balance. One of the things we didn't originally see was damage to the pelvis. He has trouble getting up from laying or sitting and thats something that is still ongoing. My biggest concern now and what might require a very difficult decision is the change in personality since the accident. He's become extremely protective since the accident- example: most evenings we get together with 3-4 of our neighbors and have a drink around a picnic table before dinner. we've been doing this for years and the dogs have all been part of it since the beginning without issue. twice Roux has tried to have a go at one or another neighbor-no growling or barking just laying next to my chair one minute and then a lunge and snap of the jaws. thankfully in his physical condition he wasn't very effective at it either time and i got hold of him before he was able to repeat the action. it's important to note that no one was interacting with Roux or encroaching in anyway at the time it happened.

The Fed-Ex man (also a dog person) has told me he tried it twice on him as well. I hate to say this but i'm to the point where I'm scared he's going to have a go at either a neighbor or one of the kids friends when they are over for the night.

has anyone else ever had this issue with an injured dog? Since the first event i've been trying to re-socialize him (take him around all the people he's snapped at as well as strangers etc) and it always seems to go fine but it the incidents keep happening.

I'm almost to the point where i think the responsible thing to do is going to be the hardest one.

Currently middle of the "Great" Plains- Ord NE

He is quick to "put people in their place" because he is feeling extremely vulnerable. He is the injured dog in the "pack", and those usually get killed by the pack. Put him up in a pen or the house in a room when you have people over until he heals enough that he isn't in any pain or feeling threatened. A lot of it also has to do with where this dog felt he was in the chain of command before his injury. If he thought that he was at the top or close to it, he may be less tolerable to being put at the bottom.
    Raina Anderson WWW.FIREHOUSELABS.COM

According to this BMI chart, I am too short !!!

Quote Originally Posted by firehouselabs View Post
    He is quick to "put people in their place" because he is feeling extremely vulnerable. He is the injured dog in the "pack", and those usually get killed by the pack. Put him up in a pen or the house in a room when you have people over until he heals enough that he isn't in any pain or feeling threatened. A lot of it also has to do with where this dog felt he was in the chain of command before his injury. If he thought that he was at the top or close to it, he may be less tolerable to being put at the bottom.
    Very wise advise.... I wish the best for Roux! I was in your exact shoes 11 yrs ago with Jax, she turned out the be the best dog I have ever owned. There is hope, but healing (physically and emotionally) is going to take time for Roux.

On a side note.... I did not see this thread when it was originally posted. I just opened it now without looking at the dates, when I got to post #6 and saw that Howard had replied it made a sad thread worse. Glad to see that Howard is still giving good advice even from the other side. God Speed Howard!!
    God, Family, Country & LSU Football.

Very sorry about the accident but Roux is very fortunate to have you as an owner a lot of people would've simply put the dog down. I believe that your actions speak for your character and I also believe that your family will be stronger as you work together to insure Roux has a full life,

Sincer regards,
    How The West was Won ( Colt)
    Delilahs Addicted to Mischief ( Delilah) My Jammin little girl
    Extreme Dixies Rebel Yell ( Dixie ) JH
    Dawsons Little Sable (Sable) 12 /08 - 5/14 , We'll hunt again someday girl.

St. Thomas, the great doctor and theologian, warns about the proper use of animals, lest they appear at the final Judgment against us: and God himself will take vengeance on all who misuse his creatures.