RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

sometimes life just sort of kicks you in the gut.

8K views 40 replies 37 participants last post by  John Robinson 
#1 ·
i've always had gun dogs, as a child in Michigan it was always GSP's. Something about watching a good dog work with you just made everything about hunting a bit more...well, just more.

My career as a commercial diver moved me from my home in Michigan to the deep south where a pointer didn't make much sense. after 10 years in Louisiana i couldn't take it anymore and entered into the duck dog world with both feet- i settled on a pup from a breeder i respected and after a long wait i had my first Lab, "Jazz" was what we settled on for a name and over the years he proved to be as good a dog as i could have ever hoped for.

We lost Jazz in 2011 after 10 fantastic years and 1 enormous learning curve. we cried, we mourned and eventually we decided it was time to get back to it. Enter "Roux", the most frustratingly stubborn, bullheaded sack of skin i have ever laid eyes on-Everyone told me Chesapeakes were a different monster entirely and i didn't listen-BUT in the midst of it all i started to see a glimmer in that dogs eyes, i slowly started to understand the way he thought. I honestly believed that once we both "got it" he could end up the hunting partner of a lifetime. We followed Hillmans puppy program and although he came along more slowly than i thought, it was obvious that once something clicked, it clicked-you could actually see the lights come on when it was learned, when he grasped the concept.

Roux was set up to go to Ed Thibodeaux on October 1st and everything was in place until yesterday.

I was hooking up a bush hog to a tractor while the wife was leaving to take the kids to school-i'm not sure why i looked up to watch her go down the road but i did. I looked just in time to see Roux run out in front of the car and go under the front tire. My wife stopped with 8 and 11 year old girls staring out the window and crying and Roux let out a blood chilling sound and limped to me in the front yard. He just sort of fell over at my feet and began panting and whining. I picked him up while i had the most gut wrenching feeling going up my spine and put him in the back seat of my truck. 20 minutes later we got to the vet, my wife had called ahead and they were waiting for us. at the end of the day yesterday they were still trying to get him stabilized enough to sedate him for X-rays and surgery to begin fixing the multitude of issues.

Today after surgery and x-rays it looks like Roux will pull through, he's got a chest tube in for drainage, his lungs a bruised horribly, his tail was degloved and had to be amputated but worst of all was his foreleg. the scapula is broken in such a way that the vet says he has no way to pin it or fix it (a vet we have complete faith in and have used for over 12 years)-his recommendation is too amputate.

So here it is 3 hours after getting the news and we're still numb from it all-the girls are done crying and now planning on how to take care of their 3 legged dog when he comes home.

Not sure why i posted this- I don't think anyone without working dogs can possibly understand what I'm feeling right now-of potential left unrealized. i think i'll leave it at that.

Thanks for listening-i think it's time to sit on the porch with a glass of something strong.

See less See more
#6 ·
I'm very sorry Roux, you, and your family have had to go through this. The only good thing is that 3 legged dogs do pretty well. I'd bet you take him hunting in a year's time.

#11 ·
Dogs don't have vanity like we do. When he heals likely he will zip around with no issue. There have been a number of 3 legged dogs do just fine. We had one ; Austin that was all heart. The3 legs just made him more special

The disappointment, family upset and expense are all bad and just hate for anyone to have to have to go through this
Dave k

#13 ·
Sorry to hear. Folks are right, i too have seen some 3 legged dogs do very, even running hunt tests. Our fearless leader of RTF likewise had a 3 legged dog due to an accident and he did just fine, at least from the pics. Hang in there

/Paul

#15 ·
oh my, i'm sorry your dog was injured. I hope all goes well as they patch him up.
I know it's little consolation but I recall seeing Dave's dog Austin running a field trial up in Canada around 7 years ago.
Maybe send Dave a PM for some tips on how to care for your dog.

#17 ·
If unburdening helps at all this is the exactly right place to do it. Every one of us knows that it could just as well have happened to us. We empathize with your pain and hope, wish, pray for a good outcome.

All the best to you and your family.

#18 · (Edited)
Well I feel for you, all of us do. Many of us if not all us have suffered a set back with our dogs, they range on a scale from minor to major. The pain is deep and with time we get over it and we are better and stronger for having gone through the suffering and the sorrow. In some small way the folks on this website can be there for you to lean on. The RTF posters understand and care even if they will never replace a close friend or partner you see regularly.

One day at a time, it does get better.

Believe in your dog because he believes in you.

#19 ·
Let him heal and enjoy a good life together. What looks hopeless now may come back 100 times better than you expect. Been there.

#20 ·
Dude, you posted it in the right place. You are right, folks without working dogs cannot understand. I'm so glad he is going to pull through. Don't impose limitations on what he will be able to do. He will likely surprise you. Keep us posted.

#21 ·
Sorry about your misfortune. Glad to hear your hunting buddy is going to be ok. Prayers sent for all.

#22 ·
Glad he is alive and going to pull through. So sorry you and your family had to go through this. Like everyone has said- you posted in the right place. Non-dog people will never understand (especially those without working dogs). Prayers for a speedy recovery

#24 ·
A few years ago, Chris A's (aka the janitor here on RTF) dog had a boating accident while they were hunting and the dog lost a leg. If I am remembering correctly, the dog went on to run HRC test(s). Hopefully Chris will chime in here and help my faulty memory! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.