The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Need a safe detour... leaving Salt Lake to drive to the MNHT

Default Need a safe detour... leaving Salt Lake to drive to the MNHT

I was not aware of the extensive destruction and highway closures caused by the flooding in Colorado. I am saddened and will say a prayer for those affected. I need the members of the RTF to help me plan a safe detour to avoid the flooded highways and road closures. I am leaving California on Sunday to drive to the MNHT and have to make a stop in Salt Lake to drop off dogs. I had planned to take I-80 to Cheyenne and then turn South on I-25 to Denver and then link up to HWY 70. Are the roads to Grand Junction clear? Can you get from Grand Junction to Denver and from Denver to I-70? Anyone have an idea of the safest route from Salt Lake to Fall River, Kansas? Any and all information is deeply appreciated. Thanks in advance, Tom.
    “Don't raise your voice, improve your argument" Desmond Tutu

Too bad for the affected communities and they do need our support but not today by driving thru.
    Suggest I 80 into Nebraska turning south on state rd 81 to I 135 in Kansas - then down to Wichita and over
    Travel safe
    Dk

Might check Colorado DOT website for road closure info. News last night said 90 miles of I25 was closed on your route.
    Last edited by Good Dogs; 09-14-2013 at 06:37 AM.

Even without road closures I would avoid Denver, as DK suggested IH 80 to York NE, then US 81 south which connects to IH 135 to Wichita KS

Just talked to my cousin who lives in Boulder. Based on what he said, I would definitely give the whole area a wide berth. He did say that for those who have to drive, which he does, the Sirius/XM channel Road Dog Trucking is keeping up real time with info from the CDOT, so you might give that a listen as you make the trip.

I would stay on I-80 to Nebraska and then cut south to Kansas. There is more rain forecast for Sunday so the roads that have reopened for now may be closed again then. The flooding is moving east as the South Platte receives all the flood waters from the various rivers that are flooding so it is even affecting highways east/northeast of the Denver/Boulder area.

Thank you, thank you, thank you Dave Kress, Good Dogs, EdA, DoubleHaul and zoomngoldens. I have phoned, texted and emailed others making this same journey to provide the detour information. I am confident this thread will be read by many others having the same concerns. I really appreciate your help. Tom
    “Don't raise your voice, improve your argument" Desmond Tutu