The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dog estate planning

Default Dog estate planning

Not the most cheerful topic to think about but For those of us that are getting a little older and have multiple dogs making sure those dogs are provided for, should something happen, is a legitimate concern.
    Wondering how some of you have handled this.
    Last edited by Bruce MacPherson; 09-14-2013 at 12:25 PM.
    "The longer you let a dog go in the wrong direction the more they think they are going in the right direction" Don Remien.

I have a person named in my will (with her permission!) and a monthly stipend designated for the care of the dogs until they can be placed in appropriate homes.

Meredith

DH and I have no human children so for us it was rather simple. When we did our will we simply left everything to those that we completely trust with our dogs ( my parents). If anyone wonders why we trust anyone so much, for us it was easy. At the time we did the original will we had a disabled lab due to a FME and were going to have the will state that he should be put down and they thru a fit and told us exactly how even tho they were older they could well help him get around (ie outside or potty etc.) in their house. To this day even though we live far away from them they are the emergancy contact for all of our dogs even tho the "Outlaws" live 5 minutes away.
    Hihope Hiland Heathen of Perth CD, RE, CGC, TDI

This is a good topic !

Marty and I have provided for the dogs till they pass!
    The competitive dogs will be trained and entered although a joint ownership will be held for any health and Akc issues that may arise. We don't like to dwell on the topic however one needs to have preparation. Likely we would not each go at the same time.
    I believe Marty has ideas of getting some "Chippendale" dancers to help her with the dogs plus she needs a driver for the truck she claims
    Dk

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Kress View Post
    I believe Marty has ideas of getting some "Chippendale" dancers to help her with the dogs plus she needs a driver for the truck she claims
    Dk
    This seems to be a universal thought. LOL
    "The longer you let a dog go in the wrong direction the more they think they are going in the right direction" Don Remien.

If you are in a state (like AL) that has adopted the Uniform Trust Code, you are likely now able to actually establish a streamlined trust to care for pets if you wish. A competent estate planner or tax lawyer type in your location would be best suited to advise you on something like this.
    Steve Wyatt

HR Belle's Rolling Big Rig "Jimmy"

Just covered this in my will. Never know!
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83047
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83051

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

I actually worked on Leona Helmsley's estate and her $12M trust to her dog Trouble.

The Court actually set aside the $12M trust. A friend took Trouble and was given a $5k per month stipend to care for the dog.

If it were me, I'd leave the dog and a specific pecuniary amount to a certain person. I'd be real confident in that person because Courts don't monitor these types of arrangements.

Meleagris1 has a crazy story about a woman leaving a serious estate to all of her cats.

Bruce, I did this several years ago since I live alone. My IRA account is earmarked for dog needs first and foremost. In addition to an executor who is a family member, a good training friend is in charge of placing my dogs since she knows at what level they are trained. Another is earmarked to help her who lives very nearby. I'd like to think that only maybe the oldest dogs would even need any $ to go with them, and maybe not even them. I have had a lot of folks ask to be on my list to take my dogs if / when I ever need, so much of the job can be done in advance w/ good networking.

To be quite honest...once I'm dead I couldn't give a hoot about my dogs or anything else left behind. Just hope I'm not dancing around trying to put out flames!

Lonnie Spann
    DISCLAIMER: The above post is the opinionated and biased view of your's truly, Lonnie Spann, and is in no way intended to reflect the opinions or views of the unfortunate individuals named below who just happen to be doomed with guilt by association.

Member of CAHRC and North AL HRC. I train with AND AM FRIENDS WITH: Fishduck, Laidback, Splash_Em, RF2, Drake2014, Claimsadj, Hooked on Quackers, RookieTrainer and Roseberry.

HRCH Spann's Quacker Jack "Jack" 500 Pt. Club (New & IMPROVED jacket).