The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Questions about health clearance testing ???

Hey Mac, you know the eye clinic is out by 100 oaks mall off of Harding rd. Ray

Your regular vet should be able to do the hip and elbow x-rays to send to OFFA for certification. You will need to print out the application, and depending on the vet mail the x-rays yourself. Take paperwork with you to vet to sign. Google OFA to find the applications and learn more. Sometimes vets are not as good as others with proper positioning, so you may want to ask anyone you know who does their dogs and if they are satisfied with the results. Positioning is very important and poor positioning can yield your dog a lower rating or a failing one. Your vet should also be able to refer you to an ACVO vet for the eye exam- I live in the middle of nowhere And my vet knew exactly what I meant when I asked to be referred. You can save a little money if you can find a CERF (eye) clinic; some retriever clubs and shows have them.

I agree do the eyes, hips/elbows first. Then do genetic tests. No need to do genetic tests on a dog that cannot pass the other tests.
    Last edited by weathered; 09-15-2013 at 02:11 PM. Reason: Sp

Default Genetic Testing Step-By-Step

I went through this same learning process a couple of years ago. While I was going through it, I documented the steps and what was required. I've tried to capture all of this information in an article on my website.

Go to http://www.burrdogs.com/step-by-step...c-testing.html and tell me what you think.
    Brian Burress
    Tennessee
    www.burrdogs.com
    HRCH Dixie Girl Burress MH -- 2012 Master National Qualifier

Currently middle of the "Great" Plains- Ord NE

Your steps are off- Do the CERF on eyes first. This is a deal breaking test and it just so happens to be the cheapest. As a plus, you find out on the spot without having to send anything off, whether or not your dog will pass. That whole "it's only good for a year thing" shouldn't even be taken in consideration at this point. What you are wanting to know at this point is: will the dog pass. Yes, they SHOULD be done every year. Ideally, they should be done at: 6-8 wks of age, at 1 year, and every year thereafter, preferably right before each litter if breeding every year.
    In reality, they should be done at 6-8wks, once around age 2, and then each year you are planning on breeding. Once a dog is "retired" from breeding then every other or at least every three years will do if you want to know your dog's eye condition.
    The genetic tests also should be the last things done, as they are not deal breakers because they can be used for breeding around a disease because the tests are black/white in nature. PRA and RD/OSD can/should be added to the list for labradors. Other breeds need/should have other genetic tests done as they each come with their own set of genetic anomalies.
    Something to also note is that if doing PennHip for hips, they do not do elbows, so even if you have a great score from PennHip, you will need to wait until you can OFA the elbows before continuing on with the more expensive tests.
    Something else to stress is that people should be judging the stud dogs for ALL of their qualities, not just whether or not they are Clear of all the genetic diseases.
    Raina Anderson WWW.FIREHOUSELABS.COM

According to this BMI chart, I am too short !!!

Correction on the web site list that was referenced by bburus:

The test kit from www.labradorcnm.com is NOT sent from France. it is sent First Class from a distributor in the Milwaukee area. Depending on where you live in the USA, it gets to you in a couple days. An e-form arrives on your computer to use for dog identification along with the kit. Later after the samples are taken, you send to France by First Class for a couple dollars. Cost is $55 with discounts for over 6 at a time and litters. It takes from about 6 to 10 days to get there. A "brushes arrived" email is sent to you when your package arrives at the CNM Project laboratory. If a rush is requested, the results arrive on your computer in a week or less. If not a rush, then it is two weeks or less.

Send any questions about www.labradorcnm.com that you have to me at cnminfo@centurytel.net

Marilyn
    Marilyn J Fender, PhD; Global Communications Coordinator, CNM Project
    US Division (Wisconsin and Georgia) cnminfo@centurytel.net