RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Help and new guy with "TERMS" (Cold Blind/Pattern Blind)

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Rnd 
#1 ·
I am sure I understand what these are, and what the diffrence is, BUT can someone explain what exactly a pattern blind is, and what a cold blind is, and the diffrence ?

I am am in the middle of force to pile, and pile work with my pup and trying to get a grip on the terms and what they mean !

Is there somewhere that there is a list of phrases, and terms that explain all the sayings and phrases used in training ?

#2 ·
Pattern blinds are pre-identified destinations; pre-planted bumpers or birds. The dog knows the end from the beginning. They derive the name "Pattern blind" from being set in a patter, such as the popular 3-leg, or 5-leg patterns, in which the layout would contain 3 or 5 pattern blinds respectively.

Cold blinds are real blinds. The dog does not know the end from the beginning. He will not have ever run the blind before, not has he been shown the destination in any way. The handler gives the dog a line, and uses handling skills to redirect him toward the destination should be divert from his line.

The requirements of the two are very different. Pattern blinds merely lay the groundwork - the fundamental skills and acts that will allow the dog to become able to run cold blinds. Some trainers bypass pattern blinds entirely, and just start running cold blinds as soon as the dog has his basic handling skills.

Evan

#3 ·
Just to add to Evan's comments ...In the past 80's we set up pattern blinds in many different locations that included every kind of factor we could find...The line to the blind was taught to insure the factors were taken and the behavior became ingrained...Most began as a so called sight blind,by walking the dog out on the prescribed line and placing several bird or bumpers at the location..Then on the way back we would stop every so often and send the dog to the pile...It may take several trips to get the dog all the way back to the beginning if there were problems with getting the dog to line...That was the main object ..line....not handle...In todays world we emphasis casting more than lining to teach the dog to handle and run cold blinds..Casting was viewed as a necessary item only when the line broke down...Run straight for ever ...Steve S

#5 ·
As far as a list of terms, Evan has a glossary in the back of Smartworks for Retrievers which covers and explains them very well...Maybe you could get him to send you that part of his book...Steve S

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.