RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Tough to swallow. Old girl ain't far from being done.

2K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  younggun86 
#1 ·
Nice morning dove shoot this morning 67-69 degrees. Decided to take my old gird (11 yo) with me and let my son hunt my young dog. Georgia has been as consistent of a hunt test dog as I have seen, never had what was needed to be a ft dog but has been unbeatable hunting birds. Today in a cut corn field, she had trouble marking, her eye sight is going fast. I could tell she was getting tired, so we walked off to the side and took it easy with some belly rubs. She is very sore now from the little bit of hunting we did.

It's one of the hardest things I think I'll have to do leaving her at home and not hunting her. I've never seen a dog that loves to hunt like her. I think she would rather die. I guess I am a little bummed out right now. Hunting season won't be the same. I love you Georgia Girl.

#3 ·
I feel for you man. I saw her run in her prime...cool little dog.

#4 ·
Seeing get old is a tough one.

#5 ·
Praying for you Bubba.... Gander and I are battling lymphoma and its taken a toll on his hunting abilities as well... He loves it as much as ever, just something's aren't working liked they used to... I hope 2 enjoy a great season and enjoy everyday together.... As each one is a gift....

Richard

G
#7 ·
Mine sits here at 13 with LP . I know his time is close. . My husband hasn't hunted the last two years because Bear can't go, and he won't go without him. We have had 13 years of wonderful memories he has been a great dog. You know when you take them at 7 weeks your time is limited, just enjoy ever moment you have with them. Time goes by fast.........

#8 ·
In the same boat. My girl is almost 12 and has always been active.

I had my training partner throw a few singles for her this morning and she picked them up fine, but she's really gimpy.

Can I ask more of a dog? Over 6,000 birds. GRHRCH/MH. Produced a really nice son who's running AA stakes.

Damn....

#9 ·
My 15 year old dog walked the very shortest fields we have in ND for pheasants.
He never flushed a wild rooster his last 2 years but dang it he sure seemed to enjoy the time he was out there. I have very understanding friends who were ok with me lagging way behind. I too really enjoyed him by my side still trying for last last flush.
Miss that dog

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

#10 ·
hey bubba,
my dad and i are also in the same boat, it breaks my heart keeping him home, weve been saying hes retired for the 3 years hes hearing is going so hard to take him but like ur girl hed die to hunt. Id rather him live till he was 14 and hunt a lil bit rather then live till 15 or whatever and never hunt again. What we do is give him asprin for his soreness and it helps so much, we obviously dont hunt him hard but enough for him to just enjoy it, and do some canned pheasant hunts at a hunt club. I guess what im trying to say is that, maybe she can still hunt you just have to change your approach and maybe use some things to help her and her body ex. asprin. Hope you can get a few more hunts with her. I lost my older female suddenly 2 years ago and didnt hunt her much cuz she was older and such and i always wanted that one last hunt, that one last picture, i dont think there is any way around that feeling but i feel it could help lessen the blow if you get what im saying. Good luck and i hope you guys have a good hunting season

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.