The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: retiring and looking for a place to move

Default retiring and looking for a place to move

my wife is finally going to be retiring and we can escape Illinois so we have been talking where to go. some of the things we talked about is we either want a place in a small town or on some small acreage close to some duck hunting, also a hrc club or a akc hunt test club. we don't mind some winter but not one that lasts forever. I also don't want to go so far south that I have to worry that after sending my dogs out it's a race to get back before they get ate. Of course, low taxes would be a plus.

Awh the prefect place to spend the Golden years

We found it - SW Alabama near Demopoliis. The Forever Wild grounds fondly known as the "Cattle Ranch" which are public grounds dedicated to sporting dogs. Did I say 4300 acres and 200 pieces of water. Normally 8 ft's a year and 4 ht.
    no big water lizards although you occasionally here a story but you can never track it down to who saw it. Always my brother in laws buddy or something like that

Low taxes, reasonably priced land - you need to like small town life. Very warm in the summer so you need to go North from June to sept. we leave the middle of June and normally come back in mid sept.

If you do ht come down to the North Alabama ht in oct. or the Black Warrior ht in Nov. there is the Central Alabama HrC club with some great guys in the area

Only 2 ft pro's comes for about 6 weeks in the winter, no ht pros winter here although Thad Simmons does live here and has a truck of dogs

Come see ( I don't work for the C of c) but I do like it here if you can't tell
    Dave Kress

Quote Originally Posted by pat addis View Post
    my wife is finally going to be retiring and we can escape Illinois so we have been talking where to go. some of the things we talked about is we either want a place in a small town or on some small acreage close to some duck hunting, also a hrc club or a akc hunt test club. we don't mind some winter but not one that lasts forever. I also don't want to go so far south that I have to worry that after sending my dogs out it's a race to get back before they get ate. Of course, low taxes would be a plus.
    Pat.I don't think one perfect place exists........Been pondering same thing and got awhile to go yet....but I could see myself spending a couple mths of winter in Arkansas. Jim
    Jim Weitzel
    Proud member of Ole Roy prostaff

Wasn't born and raised here but I've been in NC for 25 yrs and couldn't think of a better place. Not much snow,so so duck hunting and lot of HT's and pro trainers within a few hrs as well as many clubs.

Quote Originally Posted by labman63 View Post
    Wasn't born and raised here but I've been in NC for 25 yrs and couldn't think of a better place. Not much snow,so so duck hunting and lot of HT's and pro trainers within a few hrs as well as many clubs.
    NC is great weather wise but do your research. If we had bought our house a mile in either of 2 directions our property taxes would be much lower and we are not within a city. Avoid both Guilford and Forsyth counties. Both are ruled by the cities in the counties.
    Hihope Hiland Heathen of Perth CD, RE, CGC, TDI

Thomasville/Boston Ga. lots of field trial and hunt test pro's winter there.
    Some of the best properties in the country for training, plenty of hunt tests and trials close by.
    Very hot and humid from June to September, better get or rent a second place in Wisconsin or Minnesota for the summer.
    Land and homes are reasonably priced and Thomasville has a lot of character and history.
    Almost forgot the Quail hunting capital of the world, fantastic Bass fishing and the beach is an hour and a half away
    if you like to fish the salt. Hard to beat for the dog/sports afficionado!!!

Just my two pennies
    Gregg Leonard
    Roswell, Ga.

Tremblin Earth's Touch of Choclate "Reese" QAA FC/AFC Land Ahoy "Pirate" X Baypoints Dream Maker QAA
    Red Squad's Blue on Black "Jesse" MH NAFC FC/AFC Grady X FC/AFC Dance Hall Gal
    Red Squad's Fifty Caliber "Sniper" NAFC FC/AFC Grady X FC/AFC Maple Creeks Mattie Mae
    Red Squad's Bad Girlfriend "Tinker"FC/AFC Nick of Time Lone Ranger X Good Ideas Windy Retreezer QAA
    Red Squad's Element Of Surprise "Chica" ​NFC-AFC Maxx's Surprise X Red Squad's Blue On Black MH
    Buck

Banned

Utah is a great choice.

Quote Originally Posted by golfandhunter View Post
    Thomasville/Boston Ga. lots of field trial and hunt test pro's winter there.
    Some of the best properties in the country for training, plenty of hunt tests and trials close by.
    Very hot and humid from June to September, better get or rent a second place in Wisconsin or Minnesota for the summer.
    Land and homes are reasonably priced and Thomasville has a lot of character and history.
    Almost forgot the Quail hunting capital of the world, fantastic Bass fishing and the beach is an hour and a half away
    if you like to fish the salt. Hard to beat for the dog/sports afficionado!!!

Just my two pennies
    ----------------------------------

I was going to recommend here in Oklahoma, but I've been to Boston/ Thomasville Georgia, Gregg is right. It's just better there.

J. O'Brien

Quote Originally Posted by pat addis View Post
    Wyoming....They don't tax your pension or social security. I am seriously thinking this for me. I might have to invest in a horse though and have to slow things down for me. Might even take up polo that one of the cites have every year.

Currently middle of the "Great" Plains- Ord NE

Right around Warrensburg MO. They have mild winters, plenty of rain for training ponds and hay fields if you want a small income. There are MANY pros and serious amateurs in the area, AKC, HRC hunts tests and AKC field trials within 50 miles, even more within 200. MO has extremely nice deer hunting with liberal tags (as many doe tags as you want for just $7 a piece), tons of public hunting areas for waterfowl, and lots of turkey. There are a number of game farms for upland hunting for quail, chukar, and pheasant as well. Lots of entertainment and shopping available with KC close by, as well as Branson, and Springfield. Other amenities also include larger "hub" airports.
    Raina Anderson WWW.FIREHOUSELABS.COM

According to this BMI chart, I am too short !!!