The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Poor Line/Blind Manners

Default Poor Line/Blind Manners

I have a friend (Yeah, I know... it really is my friend's problem.) who owns an eighteen month old lab with terrible line manners. You know the type, calm and well mannered till the birds show-up, the calling and shooting begins. Now, the wheels fall off.. control is gone, vocalization begins, I have never dealt with this issue and would like to offer some advice to my friend. What do you all think. Thanks.

obedience...Steve S
    "Your dog learns as much by doing his work right,by your praise and encouragement, as he does by your displeasure and correction." DLWalters

Obedience. Pinch collar. No birds until quiet!
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83047
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83051

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

Pup's young. Assuming he has solid OB training he just needs to learn that unacceptable behavior means no birds. Might take several episodes but I'd set pup for a retrieve. Throw a dead bird. Any noise, any tussle, back to the truck. No pressure, no drama, just "no, heel." Repeat as necessary. When pup is quiet and steady, let him have a few dead birds. But zero tolerance for any noise or obedience issues. Next, do the same thing with a simulated flyer. Once that sets in, try a real flyer. But it's always 0 tolerance. That means that whether training, hunting or testing pup gets no birds unless he's quiet and steady. IMO pressure or punishment only exacerbates the problem. Pup wants birds. Removing the reward should allow him to figure out that if he's good, he gets a bird. If he acts up in any degree, "no, heel" back to the truck. It takes patience, but the process has worked for some headstrong pups. Have a good friend whose wild bitch was uncontrollable on the line. After several weeks of the above she settled in and became not only a pleasure to hunt with but a solid hunt test dog with 35+ straight master passes. Good luck. Be patient, you might do a dozen or more walk-backs to the truck. But pup should eventually learn what he needs to do to get the bird he wants. A firebreather is fun, but only if you can control the fire.
    Last edited by Good Dogs; 09-15-2013 at 06:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Good Dogs View Post
    Pup's young. Assuming he has solid OB training he just needs to learn that unacceptable behavior means no birds. Might take several episodes but I'd set pup for a retrieve. Throw a dead bird. Any noise, any tussle, back to the truck. No pressure, no drama, just "no, heel." Repeat as necessary. When pup is quiet and steady, let him have a few dead birds. But zero tolerance for any noise or obedience issues. Next, do the same thing with a simulated flyer. Once that sets in, try a real flyer. But it's always 0 tolerance. That means that whether training, hunting or testing pup gets no birds unless he's quiet and steady. IMO pressure or punishment only exacerbates the problem. Pup wants birds. Removing the reward should allow him to figure out that if he's good, he gets a bird. If he acts up in any degree, "no, heel" back to the truck. It takes patience, but the process has worked for some headstrong pups. Have a good friend whose wild bitch was uncontrollable on the line. After several weeks of the above she settled in and became not only a pleasure to hunt with but a solid hunt test dog with 35+ straight master passes. Good luck. Be patient, you might do a dozen or more walk-backs to the truck. But pup should eventually learn what he needs to do to get the bird he wants. A firebreather is fun, but only if you can control the fire.
    I agree. At some point I will add pressure to make a stronger point if needed but NEVER a retrieve unless they do everything correct. Don

Don't take them back to the truck, address your issue there ...immediately at point of becoming a bad dog...Randy
    CHRIS ATKINSON...PLEASE don't QUIT CHANGING MY PROFILE PAGE!!

"And if you have a golden, bring TWO towels!"

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Bohn View Post
    Don't take them back to the truck, address your issue there ...immediately at point of becoming a bad dog...Randy
    That's fine once pup learns what's expected. Until then you are just adding to the problem. Teach the concept. Add pressure only after pup understands. Just my opinion.

I've always wondered what the pup learns in the truck.
    Tom Dorroh

Perhaps Bob meant to say back to the blind but the correction has to be made immediately! Bob is using attrition to correct the dog. In the truck or back to the blind pup gets no bird.
    w. price

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Bohn View Post
    I agree with Randy. I am not there to teach dogs to walk back to the truck.

/Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"