The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Poor Line/Blind Manners

Quote Originally Posted by Ohiodogman View Post
    I have a friend (Yeah, I know... it really is my friend's problem.) who owns an eighteen month old lab with terrible line manners. You know the type, calm and well mannered till the birds show-up, the calling and shooting begins. Now, the wheels fall off.. control is gone, vocalization begins, I have never dealt with this issue and would like to offer some advice to my friend. What do you all think. Thanks.
    sounds like the dog needs obedience work on lead u could probably fix this by putting the dog in an honoring situation while honoring on lead u can deal with the vocal problems sounds like most of the problem is obediance put the dog in same situation on lead and control it but if you are not in control it will only get worse dog gets verbal give a nick and no it's easy to let things like this happen when obedience is weak

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget Bodine View Post
    You can also drop the excitement level of the mark....going from Bang and throw to no noise and throw , to throwing bumpers just three feet in front of you. I would take this to the yard and do a steadiness drill on mowed grass and teach what the expectation is by reducing the excitement of the throw, getting compliance on your standard and then gradually increase the excitement level.
    I agree with this approach ....dogs learn from doing it correctly....Steve S
    "Your dog learns as much by doing his work right,by your praise and encouragement, as he does by your displeasure and correction." DLWalters

Hmmm I'm reading this is a hunting problem, Dog makes noise and becomes a general a$$ once the bird show/up, the calling begins and then shooting takes place. It's hunting, I don't see how you could make that any less exciting; the dog is just going to have to be taught to deal with it. He can not be taught to deal with it, if his handler is distracted calling, shooting etc. unless the handler is very ambidextrous. My advice is handler needs to let his buddies hunt and correct the dog. As soon as the dog starts he need to be consistently corrected until, he learns that he needs to remain calm, regardless of what taking place in the blind or sky. Of course that consistency falls on the owner, still you could do as some stake the dog & utilize a bark caller to keep him quite.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast) Rip. July-2014
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    HR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

When I have this problem at the line. I throw mark, if they are not quiet and obedient I will walk out myself and pick up mark. I'll pick it up and admire the bird and make a bog deal of what a nice bird while I walk back. Then we will try it again, and again... until dog is quiet and obedient. Then and only then does it get the retrieve. Couple of these sessions and they get the idea. ( I'll stake them at the line if I have to to make them stay while I get bird.) No collar. no pressure other than a sit and tap with a heeling stick. As mentioned prior they don't get put back on truck for bad line manners. Good Luck Jim
    The mightiest oak was once a small nut that stood its ground

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt'EmUp View Post
    Hmmm I'm reading this is a hunting problem, Dog makes noise and becomes a general a$$ once the bird show/up, the calling begins and then shooting takes place. It's hunting, I don't see how you could make that any less exciting; the dog is just going to have to be taught to deal with it. He can not be taught to deal with it, if his handler is distracted calling, shooting etc. unless the handler is very ambidextrous. My advice is handler needs to let his buddies hunt and correct the dog. As soon as the dog starts he need to be consistently corrected until, he learns that he needs to remain calm, regardless of what taking place in the blind or sky. Of course that consistency falls on the owner, still you could do as some stake the dog & utilize a bark caller to keep him quite.
    I'll bet a good training day with flyers and calls will set the dog off too....A lot easier to deal with then than at a hunt....Steve S
    Last edited by steve schreiner; 09-22-2013 at 11:27 PM.
    "Your dog learns as much by doing his work right,by your praise and encouragement, as he does by your displeasure and correction." DLWalters

Quote Originally Posted by steve schreiner View Post
    I'll bet a good training day with flyers and calls will set the dog off too....A lot easier to deal with then than at a hunt....Steve S
    Perhaps, but correcting it in the training field will not automatically transfer over to the hunting field, if the dog is not also corrected while hunting. Dogs know the difference btw training, hunting testing, etc. I'd bet this dog knows it better than most, as he's already been able to get away with murder while hunting. Wouldn't be the first dog to be excellent in a controlled training environment and a disaster in a chaotic hunting environment. I have a few stoic training-test dogs that if given a chance will degrade while hunting, but isn't that what e-collars are for

If hunting is the issue, hunting is where it ultimately will have to be corrected. Still hunting is not testing; so they have the added benefit of being able to address it in the field. It might be just me but I'd prefer to address an issue like this, when and where it comes up.
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 09-23-2013 at 01:36 PM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast) Rip. July-2014
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    HR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)