The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Do We Do This???

Default Why Do We Do This???

What’s worse ???

1) Crash and burn in the first series…………………( Total embarrassment)-------- OR

2) Crash and burn on the last bird of the fourth?????---- (Absolute disappointment)

1) We get a late start to the FT. I break a few driving laws and manage to make up the time. (320 miles one way). When we arrive at the trial slightly late, I’m not too concerned because I have a late number. As luck would have it the first series was delayed for fog. The test starts an hour and a half later. It’s a relatively easy test. We pound the flier (as did most). Line up for the memory bird she, (dog) gives it a good long look. I send. She runs straight at it, gets about 30 yards from the mark and turns HARD left. Almost like she was on cable and hit the end of it…..Directly back to the flier station..

Not wanting to let her get away with that I decide to pick her up. She had other ideas……..
    Back at the flier station she is all over the bird crate and will NOT come back to me…………..Did the walk of shame and put a rope on her (still on the bird crate),,,,TOTAL EMBARRASSMENT !!!!
    We had a 5 hour ride home to think about it...........

(Note to self: Never shoot 2 dozen fliers for a derby dog in the week before a trial)

2) MapQuest directions night before trial.. Leave house early and drive to “MapQuest” location. Discover that we went an hour too far south, ask for directions etc. etc. Get to trial an hour and a half late. I lucked out!!! They were only on dog #9, I wasn’t too late.

We make it to the fourth series. Which is on day 2 (Read late start=late finish) Nine dogs back to the fourth. We run next to last… Hammer the go bird. Send for memory bird she gets spooked, unsure, and nervous. Dog pops……. I pick her up. Don’t know if we were in the color or not,,, BUT??????
    ABSOLUTE DISAPOINTMENT

On the way home the wife says “Are you done pouting”? I said sure… (When I was younger I would be mad as He!! and storming)…She then follows up with “ Tell me again why you wanted to get back into this game” ???

Response: Your missing the journey enjoy it………………We laughed and continued our drive home..
    Why is it that do we do this ????

Edit: That's a rhetorical question..

Randy
    Last edited by Rnd; 09-15-2013 at 08:53 PM.
    May you pin all the marks and line the blinds!!

Avatar courtesy of RTF"s TZAPPIA

I can't answer that. We crashed and burned in our 1st hunt test 2 weeks ago. I can't wait to do it again...
    DUCKDAWG'S MAC'S MAGICAL MR. OCTOBER JH -- Reggie

Great post Randy! So true and yet we keep coming back. I'm only 4 years into this obsession, but realize it's the best thing that ever happened to me - despite being eliminated in the first 5 minutes after driving several hours and paying for the "night before" hotel room - more than once!

To me, this sport and the drive to achieve mediocrity, is the perfect life lesson in "It's the journey, stupid!" And what a wonderful journey it is. I love every day that I get to train my dog and I love looking forward to training my dog when I'm not able. What is better than to always have a goal and something enjoyable to look forward to!! Nothing! Even when you have to spend a bunch of dumb time in the car and eat cold boiled eggs for breakfast the morning before a trial or test.

The good times aren't as good without the hard times, maybe.

So, in summary: What Dave said ^^^^
    Last edited by Jennifer Henion; 09-15-2013 at 10:10 PM.

Damned if I know.

After getting lost and turned around about 5 times on the way to the grounds, then waiting for a 1pm start, and then done within the hour with maximum humiliation, and really having no idea where in hell I was, I just plain got in the car and drove south and west by the compass on the dash until my blood pressure was down and I hit an interstate with a familiar number.

Bah.
    --Greta Ode
    willing slave to the whims of
    Kerrybrooks Magical Atticus MH
    Coastalight Kiowa Ravenhawk MH

How about going almost fully across the continent to go out in the first series of the Master National? (Make that 3rd bird of the first series and not being invited to run the blinds.) But NEXT year it's practically in our back yard. We gonna try again? You bet!!! (We're already half way there!)

How about a Master Hunter having to be handled on the go-bird in the first series....a FLYER!!!! :0(
    HRCH Cas-Hi Through the Dust MH - "Deacon"
    Boomer's Webb Footed Contessa - "Tessa"

As I've gotten older, I've stopped choosing. For example, when asked "brownies or ice-cream?" I respond, "BOTH!" and I mean it. To answer your question: BOTH! Get multiple dogs and you'll get your share of both, sometimes in the same test. In fact, just a month ago at a master hunt test in Michigan, I had one dog go out out on the first bird (the go bird flyer...embarrassing!!!) and another dog go out on the water blind (last bird of the last series...frustrating). I wouldn't want another hobby, though. Training and running multiple dogs and working through multiple problems makes us better trainers and handlers. Going out early or going out late remind us that this isn't easy, that the ribbons and points aren't just given away, and even more importantly, make those successful weekends more special and more meaningful. Like the song says, "If you want to see a rainbow, you've gotta stand a little rain."

Better luck next time.

Sincerely,
    Bobby

I've done both.

I'd much rather go out in the 4th. If you crash and burn in the 1st, you never played. If you have 3 good series and bomb the 4th you've played, you've enjoyed the ecstasy before the agony .
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

Dain Bramage...

Gotta be it...
    Sue Puffenbarger
    Wirtz, VA
    www.boynelabradors.com

Been there, done all that !! Everybody has.. Live and learn..But it is so much fun !!