The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Do We Do This???

I've got a 9 year old bitch that has given me the direct definition of the term "bitch" She's done things her own way and I am/was a novice handler when I started with her; not a good combo. It's taken me this long but she just got her 3rd leg of SH last weekend and was 30 feet from the last water blind she'd ever have to do in her life and she blew up and blew me off.

I have failed so many tests with her I've lost count.

Learned a lot from her, but the best of all: laugh and have fun, because you never know what's going to happen on any given day.
    Kathleen

"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you're not, in fact, just surrounded by a**holes" -William Gibson

First derby, went out on memory of first series. Only consolation is that 10 others did the same thing before us. Second derby, went out on memory of second series! Making progress, then aged out!

Another significant frustration, had not one but TWO dogs looking strong going into third series of a Q. Both blew up and ran wild on the water blind and it took forever to round them up and bring 'em back.

A month ago got my first senior pass with my young dog who wasn't supposed to be able to run anymore. The joy and pride payed back in spades for the above!
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

I am totally desensitized to crashing and burning in the 1st series. That is what the cooler tray in the dog truck is for

I could stand some blowing up in the last series of an AA stake. Hopefully this fall.

I have run a couple of flawless hunt tests with one dog only to have him break on the honor at the very end. I guess running an Am one weekend and then running a HT the next is not the best idea. I think my wife has experienced the worst of the worst a time or two: run the whole thing perfectly and then be dropped when the black hearted critter would not give up the bird the last bird.

If you run a female, you know that at any time they just might decided to go girl on you If Mine waits till the 4th, just about the time I start to think; she might actually want to play today; then she decides to do things "her way" i'm much happier than if she decides to do it in the first. By that time I'm so relieved we made it that far, & that I've gotten most of my money's worth, that I can sometimes laugh about it
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 09-16-2013 at 02:21 PM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

Geez....I thought we were the only ones to have melt downs.

Creeping on the honor, and not coming back.
    I am commanding "here, here, dammit ELVIS----here!"

He only heard 1 thing, there he was.....GONE!!!
    Couple things go wrong, I get nervous.......

Can't wait to run again..........

stan b
    Last edited by road kill; 09-16-2013 at 02:41 PM.

Rookie first dog ever. I have had 7 Derby starts and have not even gotten close to the fourth series. Always the walk of shame. Cry on the way home a little. I have put my deposit on dog number two. I will not give up. Wow there must be a cure for this some where.

Senior Member Lucky Number Seven's Avatar

I can't get over the 2 dozen fliers in a week, be it before a trial or not...

Ok the last 8 I repeat 8 starts one of my gals has broke in the first series.. Witts end she was noisy pushed in that area and guess what? she started breaking in the all-age. Tried a Master hunt test and guess what she broke in the first series. Thought maybe the white coats, naw, wasn't that, had another one years past that got his master hunter and HRCH after retired from trials because of line manners issues. That aint her problem. Pulled her from trials for one year. Broke her out after a year and she broke in the first series. She has a home until she dies , she is a good hunting dog, in training runs like a field champion, NFC/AFC X FC/AFC sired. We aren't exactly a rookie at this dog game and train with very experienced folks. Why do I still do this after 4 plus decades, three of the five voices in my head say I must!
    Earl Dillow

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    Geez....I thought we were the only ones to have melt downs.

Creeping on the honor, and not coming back.
    I am commanding "here, here, dammit ELVIS----here!"

He only heard 1 thing, there he was.....GONE!!!
    Couple things go wrong, I get nervous.......

Can't wait to run again..........

stan b
    I live in total abject fear of doing this very thing. And odds are that I will have to with the knucklehead in the picture.
    Steve Wyatt

HR Belle's Rolling Big Rig "Jimmy"

"three of the five voices " Cracked me up !! Bwahhhahhhahhha