The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Do We Do This???

Quote Originally Posted by Howard N View Post
    I've done both.

I'd much rather go out in the 4th. If you crash and burn in the 1st, you never played. If you have 3 good series and bomb the 4th you've played, you've enjoyed the ecstasy before the agony .
    Howard I agree.....BUT,,,,I've run 7 derbies with this little girl. (3 in Canada and 4 in the states) We managed one 2nd place and one Jam.

Then crash and burn in the first............the other 4 times,,,, she went out on the last bird of the last series.

As Doublehaul mentioned it could be worse...Freeze on the last bird.

I guess I'm guilty of selective memory,,,,,,,,,,,,,I only remember the good times field trialing. Totally forgetting about all those long rides home thinking about the Could've, Would've, and Should haves.

At the end of the day it's all good. Nothing like standing at the line in the fourth......Other than the select few that have gone to line in the 10th.

Earl, I can't even imagine having a dog break 8 times in a row......I'd be suicidal.

Lucky Seven, Don't worry, that won't happen again....I thought I could bore her with fliers....I was WRONG

One last thought: When I was thinking about buying a boat one of the experienced boaters I spoke to said...." If your idea of fun is taking a cold shower and ripping up $100 bills buy a boat"

I think that may apply to dog games too....

Thanks for listening,

Randy
    Last edited by Rnd; 09-16-2013 at 06:13 PM. Reason: Poor math skills :)
    May you pin all the marks and line the blinds!!

Avatar courtesy of RTF"s TZAPPIA

Quote Originally Posted by Rnd View Post
    One last thought: When I was thinking about buying a boat one of the experienced boaters I spoke to said...." If your idea of fun is taking a cold shower and ripping up $100 bills buy a boat"

Thanks for listening,

Randy
    Boats aren't happy to see you when you get home from work, though. Nothing like coming home from a hard day at work and going through the 'greeting ritual'. Without that, I would need an extra martini

Great post, enjoyed reading it.
    How The West was Won ( Colt)
    Delilahs Addicted to Mischief ( Delilah) My Jammin little girl
    Extreme Dixies Rebel Yell ( Dixie ) JH
    Dawsons Little Sable (Sable) 12 /08 - 5/14 , We'll hunt again someday girl.

St. Thomas, the great doctor and theologian, warns about the proper use of animals, lest they appear at the final Judgment against us: and God himself will take vengeance on all who misuse his creatures.

Quote Originally Posted by Rnd View Post
    Howard I agree.....BUT,,,,I've run 7 derbies with this little girl. (3 in Canada and 4 in the states) We managed one 2nd place and one Jam.

Then crash and burn in the first............the other 4 times,,,, she went out on the last bird of the last series.

As Doublehaul mentioned it could be worse...Freeze on the last bird.

I guess I'm guilty of selective memory,,,,,,,,,,,,,I only remember the good times field trialing. Totally forgetting about all those long rides home thinking about the Could've, Would've, and Should haves.

At the end of the day it's all good. Nothing like standing at the line in the fourth......Other than the select few that have gone to line in the 10th.

Earl, I can't even imagine having a dog break 8 times in a row......I'd be suicidal.

Lucky Seven, Don't worry, that won't happen again....I thought I could bore her with fliers....I was WRONG

Thanks for listening,

Randy
    With the experience we have and being the "Shell Answer Man" ran out of stuff and train with a group that has close to 200 years experience training retrievers, that's what is scarey. I have had a few breakers before but mostly in the last series. Have had my share of prayer meetings with her before running her, she thrives on it! Never, never in training, large groups many flyers, whiffle bat instruction, others being the judges, numbers long waits, no birds sitting out while 15 dogs runs watching flyers shot, stakeouts, clip wings, shackled birds, haven't tried voodoo yet with pins!
    Earl Dillow

It gets worse than going out in the 1st or even the 4th.
    It's called a Greenie.
    "Darla" AFC Candlewoods Lil Smokin Tequila (2002-2013)(fondly remembered)
    "Smoke" Smokin Auggies Menace, QAA (2003- )(retired nut case, ask Rando)
    "Simba" Humewood Simba (1999-2014)(my 1st dog)

Per favore, non mi rompere i coglioni.
    Grazie

Quote Originally Posted by Breck View Post
    It gets worse than going out in the 1st or even the 4th.
    It's called a Greenie.
    Yup the last two trials my partner ran handled on the last bird in the last series, flawless, land marks, land blinds, water blinds, looking for those few points for his AFC. He has learned to hate green as a color.
    Earl Dillow

Quote Originally Posted by Criquetpas View Post
    Yup the last two trials my partner ran handled on the last bird in the last series, flawless, land marks, land blinds, water blinds, looking for those few points for his AFC. He has learned to hate green as a color.
    Think it was 2007, according to the News summary mine had more Greenies than any dog in the nation. To make matters worse had 8 seconds in a row! (Not same yr)
    If you can't take heart ache and disappointment never get into field trials.

Grazie

Quote Originally Posted by Breck View Post
    Think it was 2007, according to the News summary mine had more Greenies than any dog in the nation. To make matters worse had 8 seconds in a row! (Not same yr)
    If you can't take heart ache and disappointment never get into field trials.
    24 points and no win! I know titled dogs that don't have 24 points. Now that's a kick in the teeth. Got me a very large plastic container full of green ribbons, never counted them, Sharon Gierman has her garage and bathroom wallpapered with green ribbons. You know we shouldn't complain though as there are lost of folks out there in retrieverland that would love to have a few green ones and rightly so it means a finish in a trial !
    Earl Dillow

Had 29 1/2 AA points (about half n half O&A) before getting an Amateur win and retiring. Had to beat Grady that day.
    One time, me handling in Open, needed win for FC-AFC and Qual for both Nationals. Got 2nd and None of the above.
    Oh joy!

Grazie

" MapQuest directions night before trial.. Leave house early and drive to “MapQuest” location. Discover that we went an hour too far south, ask for directions etc. etc. Get to trial an hour and a half late. I lucked out!!! They were only on dog #9, I wasn’t too late. "

LOL Garmin did the same thing to me this weekend except it was when I was really tired going home.