The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Why Do We Do This???

Very frustrating year so far. Finished pretty strong last year but it didn't carry over. Got tired of running quals so moved up to run the am. Figured we could flame out there just as easy so why not try it. This past weekend first series was a monster triple. 440 yd long middle bird, 360 yd right hand bird, both retired . 100 or so yd flier right in our face shot into the test. Couldn't get him to look out at the long gun and he swung to the flier on the shot. So I cued him dead bird and he lined almost the whole way to the fall and he dug it out. Lots of good dogs handled or picked up . I was disappointed not getting called back but very proud of my dog for getting all those birds.he never would have, even two months ago. Half way home I was ready to get back out there and keep training.
    We're getting better little by little and having lots of fun.
    If success was easy to achieve in this game, it wouldn't mean nearly as much.
    Tim

Waaaaaay True.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Mc View Post
    I was disappointed not getting called back but very proud of my dog for getting all those birds.he never would have, even two months ago. Half way home I was ready to get back out there and keep training.
    We're getting better little by little and having lots of fun.
    I most of us in the game have to set our own standards for success. Working 60-80 hours a week and only training on weekends or when I can play hooky and sneak out, I can't relate to the folks who are upset about greenies very well, but I have learned which of my FT friends to congratulate for a JAM and which ones not to. Of course, if I had 8 in a row, like Breck, I am sure I might see things differently.

I remember the first time we picked up all the birds in the first series of an AA stake. It was a big field and not quite good enough to get us back, but I didn't care, I was so happy. Then we moved on to where we started getting called back pretty regularly and going series by series a little farther each season. Hopefully this fall I might need to start training on water marks

Hmmmm... Do we play these games because of ribbons? Or is there something else... You drive to the event full of hope, happiness and excitement that you have trained you dog for his/her first event. Nevermind that you couldn't possibly train yourself for YOUR first event! You are going to hang out with the people who coached you along the way, and people you have heard about, and people who you have talked into coming..

You roll in to the festive atmosphere and grab your catalogue and watch the test dog. You have heard about the test dogs wonders, and you start to feel the fear gripping your stomach when you see the test dog blowing it. If the test dog screwed up, how is your dog going to perform? Yikes! Back to the truck you go, and you remember to air your dog, and start to get ready for your 1st time to the line... Maybe just get back in the truck and chill for a while...

The marshall has sent someone to look for you. Ugh! You have to run ahead of someone! What?! Now you Get out of the truck, and immediately go puke behind the truck. Then get your dog, and with shaking hands put her on lead. Pray that she doesn't notice you are nervous and drag you to the line. On the way to the test area, relish the feeling of the thunderous stomach ache that has all of a sudden over come you again. Only this time you have to make a trip to the woods and pray that no-one sees you, and pray that you remembered some paper products.

Once your internal organs are completely empty, you continue on to the holding blinds. You start to notice that you can hear nothing but loud rushing sounds in your ears. You try to shake that and clear your head. You realize how stupid it is. You realize that you don't even know why you are playing this dumb dog game, and that you should just go home. You wish you could go to the woods again. You wish that no-one would notice you because you just KNOW that EVERYONE is staring at you and only you, instead of watching the test.

Your feet begin to feel as if lead weights are in the soles of your shoes. By the time you get to the last blind your feet will have sprouted roots and you will be unabe to move them when the judge calls your name. Finally when you have mentally been able to force yourself out and up to the line, you will be horrified that your genious dog has just knocked over the judge, pulled birds off the rack, or has just positioned herself about 5 feet ahead of the line. So then you feel a new surge of panic. You forget what you are allowed to say and do. You pray you can get your dog back into somewhat of a heel position. You call for the birds and with each one your dog creeps forward again. You just know she will launch early. And then the relief sets in when the judge says "dog".

And after he gets the birds, and the rushing in your ears passes, you can hear the gallery clapping and your legs feel like rubber as you walk back through the crowd. This is why we do what we do. You get sucked in that 1st time and can hardly wait to do it again...
    Princess Darla of Nottingham MH ***
    Copper's Darlin' Rascal "Spanky" ***
    Spanky's Darlin Rascal "Wheezy"

Yellow dogs rule the world!

^^^^^^ And then after its all over ,you think to yourself "what the he** just happened" ,last I remember I was standing here at the truck.
    Shawn White

HR Big Creek Retrievers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy "

Dedeye's post should be required reading for all of those getting started. She has described the first trip to a tee! (well, for some of us, All of our trips )
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

Quote Originally Posted by DEDEYE View Post
    Hmmmm... Do we play these games because of ribbons? Or is there something else... You drive to the event full of hope, happiness and excitement that you have trained you dog for his/her first event. Nevermind that you couldn't possibly train yourself for YOUR first event! You are going to hang out with the people who coached you along the way, and people you have heard about, and people who you have talked into coming..

You roll in to the festive atmosphere and grab your catalogue and watch the test dog. You have heard about the test dogs wonders, and you start to feel the fear gripping your stomach when you see the test dog blowing it. If the test dog screwed up, how is your dog going to perform? Yikes! Back to the truck you go, and you remember to air your dog, and start to get ready for your 1st time to the line... Maybe just get back in the truck and chill for a while...

The marshall has sent someone to look for you. Ugh! You have to run ahead of someone! What?! Now you Get out of the truck, and immediately go puke behind the truck. Then get your dog, and with shaking hands put her on lead. Pray that she doesn't notice you are nervous and drag you to the line. On the way to the test area, relish the feeling of the thunderous stomach ache that has all of a sudden over come you again. Only this time you have to make a trip to the woods and pray that no-one sees you, and pray that you remembered some paper products.

Once your internal organs are completely empty, you continue on to the holding blinds. You start to notice that you can hear nothing but loud rushing sounds in your ears. You try to shake that and clear your head. You realize how stupid it is. You realize that you don't even know why you are playing this dumb dog game, and that you should just go home. You wish you could go to the woods again. You wish that no-one would notice you because you just KNOW that EVERYONE is staring at you and only you, instead of watching the test.

Your feet begin to feel as if lead weights are in the soles of your shoes. By the time you get to the last blind your feet will have sprouted roots and you will be unabe to move them when the judge calls your name. Finally when you have mentally been able to force yourself out and up to the line, you will be horrified that your genious dog has just knocked over the judge, pulled birds off the rack, or has just positioned herself about 5 feet ahead of the line. So then you feel a new surge of panic. You forget what you are allowed to say and do. You pray you can get your dog back into somewhat of a heel position. You call for the birds and with each one your dog creeps forward again. You just know she will launch early. And then the relief sets in when the judge says "dog".

And after he gets the birds, and the rushing in your ears passes, you can hear the gallery clapping and your legs feel like rubber as you walk back through the crowd. This is why we do what we do. You get sucked in that 1st time and can hardly wait to do it again...
    Perfect.......I am just curious, when does this stop?

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    Perfect.......I am just curious, when does this stop?
    I have always said that when it stops Its time for me to quit these games.
    Blue Skies Eye of the Storm MH
    Blue Skies Rags to Richs MH
    Blue Skies Travelin Man MH
    Blue Skies Snowy River Cruse SH
    Blue Skies Rough Rider Kate SH
    and all Chesapeake Bay Retrievers

Junior Member Handler in Training's Avatar

I have been dabbling in this "game" now for a couple of years and can relate to the disappointment this game lends itself to. I think I have figured out a way to corral some of these crazy emotions and we are one little pass away from our MH (hopefully next weekend!!!). However, this past weekend I decided I would try our hand in the field trial game and ran our first Qual. Dakota had been running great in training, I was very confident we could handle Qual setups, and was excited to see how we could stack up against a field of other dogs and handlers. This time, however, I went to the line with a few more nerves than usual. I had to make special accommodations just to be at the trial. My wife was 38 weeks pregnant and the day before had a couple of high blood pressures (I know, I know, what the he** was I even doing there? I was actually more worried about not being able to be at the hunt test next weekend as it is scheduled 4 days after our due date). So, she had to go back to the doctor to get some more tests run about the same time I was scheduled to come to the line....I attempted to do our little routine. Got Dakota aired, gave him our pre-run pep talk, and strolled to the line like I was sure we were going to smack these marks. That was about the last moment I felt good about our run. We totally blew up on a setup that we had trained on just the week before and Dakota did a "he's never done that before." Well, it turns out that it was probably a good thing we didn't do so hot as my wife went into labor about 4 hours later and we now have our second very healthy son!!! Everyone is doing great and can't wait to get back out there and try our hand at another Qual. Hopefully next time I will be able to focus on the task a little more and that will carry over to Dakota's focus as well. Very patient/supportive wife regards,
    Eric Webb

Because dog training and hunting keep me alive. They give me a reason to be outside and active. It's challenging and gives me a goal to work toward. I've always been one to go all out on something then just drop it and go on to the next hobby. Dog training and duck hunting are the only two I've stuck with. It's the people that share a love for dogs and training - my kind of folks. I love camping too and when I can combine both by camping at an event it is just icing on the cake. Nothing like sharing a campfire and my little pop-up camper with the dogs. I can't really explain exactly why but this game is just in my blood. After seven years spent on one talented but hyper and unpredictable dog that has broken my heart more than once I hit the wall and dropped out. But I missed it too much and started training again when they cut the hay off my training fields lately. Today, I sent off the deposit on a new pup and closed on my retirement/training property. Hope springs eternal I guess. Really looking forward to the day I can devote the kind of time I've always wanted to dog training and see if I've got what it takes to get the FC on one of my dogs. Meantime I just wanna finish an AM someday.
    I think they were all made to shoot because if they were not why did they give them that whirr of wings that moves you suddenly more than any love of country . . . I think that they were made to shoot and some of us were made to shoot them and if that is not so well, never say we did not tell you that we liked it.

E. Hemingway