Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Why Do We Do This???

Quote Originally Posted by jd6400 View Post
    Back to the original question of why? EGO!!!! plain and simple. Jim

Thanks Jim !!!!!

I needed that.

hate to lose regards......,Randy.
    May you pin all the marks and line the blinds!!

Avatar courtesy of RTF"s TZAPPIA

Quote Originally Posted by Rnd View Post
    Thanks Jim !!!!!

I needed that.

hate to lose regards......,Randy.
    Understood Randy...your with a super team!hope it doesn't offend any one but I get a kick out of "doing it for the dogs".haaaa. if that were the case I think a trip to ND like I am doing would be much more enjoyment for the dogs.
    Jim Weitzel
    Proud member of Ole Roy prostaff

Good post. The only thing that might be any worse is watching your spouse run your dog for the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by DEDEYE View Post
    Hmmmm... Do we play these games because of ribbons? Or is there something else... You drive to the event full of hope, happiness and excitement that you have trained you dog for his/her first event. Nevermind that you couldn't possibly train yourself for YOUR first event! You are going to hang out with the people who coached you along the way, and people you have heard about, and people who you have talked into coming..

You roll in to the festive atmosphere and grab your catalogue and watch the test dog. You have heard about the test dogs wonders, and you start to feel the fear gripping your stomach when you see the test dog blowing it. If the test dog screwed up, how is your dog going to perform? Yikes! Back to the truck you go, and you remember to air your dog, and start to get ready for your 1st time to the line... Maybe just get back in the truck and chill for a while...

The marshall has sent someone to look for you. Ugh! You have to run ahead of someone! What?! Now you Get out of the truck, and immediately go puke behind the truck. Then get your dog, and with shaking hands put her on lead. Pray that she doesn't notice you are nervous and drag you to the line. On the way to the test area, relish the feeling of the thunderous stomach ache that has all of a sudden over come you again. Only this time you have to make a trip to the woods and pray that no-one sees you, and pray that you remembered some paper products.

Once your internal organs are completely empty, you continue on to the holding blinds. You start to notice that you can hear nothing but loud rushing sounds in your ears. You try to shake that and clear your head. You realize how stupid it is. You realize that you don't even know why you are playing this dumb dog game, and that you should just go home. You wish you could go to the woods again. You wish that no-one would notice you because you just KNOW that EVERYONE is staring at you and only you, instead of watching the test.

Your feet begin to feel as if lead weights are in the soles of your shoes. By the time you get to the last blind your feet will have sprouted roots and you will be unabe to move them when the judge calls your name. Finally when you have mentally been able to force yourself out and up to the line, you will be horrified that your genious dog has just knocked over the judge, pulled birds off the rack, or has just positioned herself about 5 feet ahead of the line. So then you feel a new surge of panic. You forget what you are allowed to say and do. You pray you can get your dog back into somewhat of a heel position. You call for the birds and with each one your dog creeps forward again. You just know she will launch early. And then the relief sets in when the judge says "dog".

And after he gets the birds, and the rushing in your ears passes, you can hear the gallery clapping and your legs feel like rubber as you walk back through the crowd. This is why we do what we do. You get sucked in that 1st time and can hardly wait to do it again...
    Steve Wyatt

HR Belle's Rolling Big Rig "Jimmy"

Lost a MN plate in Texas on the last bird last series. That hurt. In my younger days when I shot skeet competitively I missed the last bird for a 100 straight and a 28 gauge state championship. That hurt too.
    Courage-being scared to death but saddling up anyway. John Wayne

If you don't know where you're going, every road will get you there.

Pick your battles. Be sure they're small enough to win but big enough to matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Rnd View Post
    What’s worse ???

1) Crash and burn in the first series…………………( Total embarrassment)-------- OR

2) Crash and burn on the last bird of the fourth?????---- (Absolute disappointment)
    Well... I have only run two qualifying stakes with my young dog ... the first time we went out on the last bird in the 4th series....

AND - Yesterday the last bird in the 1st series. After a 6 hour each way drive and an over-night hotel.

Now, officially speaking from experience, I’ll take the FLYER in the 1st series over that feeling of the last bird in the 4th any day! Glass 1/2 full: got to see some good folks, watch some nice dogs, and still get home while the sun was up.... Winners never quit - onward and upward. Good thread.
    Danielle R. Pellicci
    http://www.blackFootkennels.com
    Home of:
    SPICE, MH (11) CD RA NA (OA2) NAJ
    (FC AFC “Cori” X Malli QAA)
    FEATHER, MH QAA
    (FC AFC “Kicker” X “Spice” MH CD RA NA NAJ)
    PENNY, CD BN SH (RN2)
    (FC AFC CAFC “Copper” X “Faith” MH QAA)
    CAPPY
    (2XNAFC FC AFC “Ram” X “Cree”)
    HALO
    (FC AFC “Kicker” X“Spice” MH CD RA NA NAJ)
    TORCH
    (HRCH “Ticket” MH X“Penny” CD BN SH)
    &
    RIP: Rhumbline’s Guinness is Good, JH... Miss you every day "Big Man"