RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Why Do We Do This???

14K views 54 replies 38 participants last post by  runnindawgz 
#1 · (Edited)
What’s worse ???

1) Crash and burn in the first series…………………( Total embarrassment)-------- OR

2) Crash and burn on the last bird of the fourth?????---- (Absolute disappointment)

1) We get a late start to the FT. I break a few driving laws and manage to make up the time. (320 miles one way). When we arrive at the trial slightly late, I’m not too concerned because I have a late number. As luck would have it the first series was delayed for fog. The test starts an hour and a half later. It’s a relatively easy test. We pound the flier (as did most). Line up for the memory bird she, (dog) gives it a good long look. I send. She runs straight at it, gets about 30 yards from the mark and turns HARD left. Almost like she was on cable and hit the end of it…..Directly back to the flier station..

Not wanting to let her get away with that I decide to pick her up. She had other ideas……..
Back at the flier station she is all over the bird crate and will NOT come back to me…………..Did the walk of shame and put a rope on her (still on the bird crate),,,,TOTAL EMBARRASSMENT !!!!
We had a 5 hour ride home to think about it...........

(Note to self: Never shoot 2 dozen fliers for a derby dog in the week before a trial)

2) MapQuest directions night before trial.. Leave house early and drive to “MapQuest” location. Discover that we went an hour too far south, ask for directions etc. etc. Get to trial an hour and a half late. I lucked out!!! They were only on dog #9, I wasn’t too late.

We make it to the fourth series. Which is on day 2 (Read late start=late finish) Nine dogs back to the fourth. We run next to last… Hammer the go bird. Send for memory bird she gets spooked, unsure, and nervous. Dog pops……. I pick her up. Don’t know if we were in the color or not,,, BUT??????
ABSOLUTE DISAPOINTMENT

On the way home the wife says “Are you done pouting”? I said sure… (When I was younger I would be mad as He!! and storming)…She then follows up with “ Tell me again why you wanted to get back into this game” ???

Response: Your missing the journey enjoy it………………We laughed and continued our drive home..
Why is it that do we do this ????

Edit: That's a rhetorical question..:cool:

Randy

See less See more
#36 ·
Dedeye's post should be required reading for all of those getting started. She has described the first trip to a tee! (well, for some of us, All of our trips;-) )

#39 ·
I have been dabbling in this "game" now for a couple of years and can relate to the disappointment this game lends itself to. I think I have figured out a way to corral some of these crazy emotions and we are one little pass away from our MH (hopefully next weekend!!!). However, this past weekend I decided I would try our hand in the field trial game and ran our first Qual. Dakota had been running great in training, I was very confident we could handle Qual setups, and was excited to see how we could stack up against a field of other dogs and handlers. This time, however, I went to the line with a few more nerves than usual. I had to make special accommodations just to be at the trial. My wife was 38 weeks pregnant and the day before had a couple of high blood pressures (I know, I know, what the he** was I even doing there? I was actually more worried about not being able to be at the hunt test next weekend as it is scheduled 4 days after our due date). So, she had to go back to the doctor to get some more tests run about the same time I was scheduled to come to the line....I attempted to do our little routine. Got Dakota aired, gave him our pre-run pep talk, and strolled to the line like I was sure we were going to smack these marks. That was about the last moment I felt good about our run. We totally blew up on a setup that we had trained on just the week before and Dakota did a "he's never done that before." Well, it turns out that it was probably a good thing we didn't do so hot as my wife went into labor about 4 hours later and we now have our second very healthy son!!! Everyone is doing great and can't wait to get back out there and try our hand at another Qual. Hopefully next time I will be able to focus on the task a little more and that will carry over to Dakota's focus as well. Very patient/supportive wife regards,

#40 ·
Because dog training and hunting keep me alive. They give me a reason to be outside and active. It's challenging and gives me a goal to work toward. I've always been one to go all out on something then just drop it and go on to the next hobby. Dog training and duck hunting are the only two I've stuck with. It's the people that share a love for dogs and training - my kind of folks. I love camping too and when I can combine both by camping at an event it is just icing on the cake. Nothing like sharing a campfire and my little pop-up camper with the dogs. I can't really explain exactly why but this game is just in my blood. After seven years spent on one talented but hyper and unpredictable dog that has broken my heart more than once I hit the wall and dropped out. But I missed it too much and started training again when they cut the hay off my training fields lately. Today, I sent off the deposit on a new pup and closed on my retirement/training property. Hope springs eternal I guess. Really looking forward to the day I can devote the kind of time I've always wanted to dog training and see if I've got what it takes to get the FC on one of my dogs. Meantime I just wanna finish an AM someday.

#44 ·
I've always been one to go all out on something then just drop it and go on to the next hobby. Dog training and duck hunting are the only two I've stuck with.
x2 I'm an ADHD poster child, I always get bored; I don't know how I've stuck to this for so long, It amazes me

#43 ·
Oh my bride of near 47 years is right there with me - she has been dropped a 1000 times also - she still gets mad. Those who know her will just smile and nod

The sport is about competition, consistency and many other adjectives as many of these dogs on a given day are very good.
The sport is about teamwork and in some crazy mixed up way about an extended family
Some will nod in agreement and some reading this will shake there head in disbelief but it all frames up on perspective when you see a grizzled veteran of the sport setting in the truck with tears after being dropped or a failure of some type
My view
Dk

#46 ·
First derby I ran with Biscuit he saw a butterfly on the way to a very easy flier. Chased the butterfly all over the field. Never did get the flier....worse than the walk of shame! Finished with 27 derby points and retired as an FC/AFC finishing a national. The moral of the story...you better be able to laugh if you want to stay in the game much less enjoy it.

Bill

#48 ·
Great Post......fortunately I have my wife hooked on italso, we only hunt test....but that is enough. I watch Field Trials and it is amazing what those dogs will do...but the reason I do it is because of the dogs. They are so loyal, and they love what they do....I get great pleasure from my dogs and watching them train and work....for me it is all about the dogs.....

#49 ·
Back to the original question of why? EGO!!!! plain and simple. Jim

#54 ·
Lost a MN plate in Texas on the last bird last series. That hurt. In my younger days when I shot skeet competitively I missed the last bird for a 100 straight and a 28 gauge state championship. That hurt too.

#55 ·
What’s worse ???

1) Crash and burn in the first series…………………( Total embarrassment)-------- OR

2) Crash and burn on the last bird of the fourth?????---- (Absolute disappointment)
Well... I have only run two qualifying stakes with my young dog ... the first time we went out on the last bird in the 4th series....

AND - Yesterday the last bird in the 1st series. After a 6 hour each way drive and an over-night hotel.

Now, officially speaking from experience, I’ll take the FLYER in the 1st series over that feeling of the last bird in the 4th any day! Glass 1/2 full: got to see some good folks, watch some nice dogs, and still get home while the sun was up.... ;) Winners never quit - onward and upward. Good thread.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.