RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Training Withdrawals

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Hunt'EmUp 
#1 ·
Gage had surgery last Wednesday to remove a hair follicle tumor on his leg. The bad news, $233.00 for just the biopsy, the great news, benign and 100% excised. The laboratory and the Vet give him an absolute clean bill of health.

Now for the recuperation. He is not to exercise until the stitches are out and light duty for at least another two weeks after that. There is a 5 inch incision that has to heal.

For the last two + years, in order to avoid the strict Los Angeles leash laws, we train every day at first light. He still is waking me at 5:20 AM but can't understand why we are not going out.

He's a real athlete. He gets about an hour of hard exercise every day.

I guess the question is: what do you do with a dog that is bored out of his mind. We've been watching training videos but I don't think that is helping him. He keeps trying to go behind the screen :-x.

I'm sure I'm not the only one here that has had to put a dog up for a while. Any thoughts?

See less See more
#3 ·
Arnie,

Use the time to make yourself a better handler, go out work with your pro with the other dogs. When my dog was injured I still went out and trained with the group, I found that without the pressure of running my own dog I was able to focus on the actual set ups and the concepts behind the set up and or series.

Just a thought,

#4 ·
Great advice and I will take it seriously though I'm not sure anyone would want me messing with their dog ;).

#6 ·
Hey Arnie, you can run mine, if she doesn't chew you up and spit you out; You'll know you've accomplished something ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.