RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Breaking

6K views 19 replies 16 participants last post by  Augie 
#1 · (Edited)
I ran my 1st seasoned hunt test (tried to) w/ my 18 mth old Lab - He broke at the gun shot on the 1st mark - I have been training him since he was 2 mths old and he has never broke - I train w/ Thunder launchers, Retrieve R Trainers and live gun shots - He is a very aggressive dog with regards to retrieving desire - He is always ready to retrieve and never wants to quit - He can perform seasoned hunt tests at home w/o question - It's just on hunt test days he is so "Jacked up" that it is hard to settle him down even in the holding blind - QUESTION- How do I fix this w/o hampering his desire to retrieve? - I work with him for about 10 min in the morning before work, then for 30-45 min went I get home every day - After we work in the evening I do let him play with old bumpers and/or tennis balls - Am I letting play too much? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated - Thanks

Does anyone have any advice on the amount of play time a retriever should have - My thoughs are I should limit playing to maybe 4-6 retrieves after working and using non-training equipment such as tennis balls only - Thoughts?

#2 ·
You don't know it yet but you need a plan to solidify your obedience.
This begins with learning what this means and no I'm pretty sure you haven't properly learned about that yet.
Suggest you contact Randy B on RTF for professional advice. He will no longer be a pro after Xmas so act now. You'll be happy you did and likely regret if you don't.
Cheers

#3 · (Edited)
Where are u located?
How about providing some training history. Did u follow a training program? Is the dog ecollar conditioned? Do u use birds when training?

#5 ·
Located in Southern Ill - This is my 1st dog that I've trained for Hunt test - I've been following Tom Dokken's Retriever Training book and using Bill Hillmans DVD's - He is collar conditioned and I use frozen ducks once in a while, mostly bumpers - He's out of a dam from Candlewoods Ramblin Man

#6 ·
I don't think you have anything to worry about. He is young and has a strong desire. Keep up the obedience training throughout his career and it does eventually get better. I have a fire breather who is now 3 years old and I still hold my breath and cross fingers on the line hoping she doesn't break. I think you would agree that it's better to have a dog with a strong desire to retrieve and knowing the dog will do the work vs. hoping the dog picks up the marks and running blinds.

#8 ·
I have a breaking female firebreather that is now 6 1/2 and still worry that she might break. My problem is breaking on honor not on the line. I found an write up about how to stop the working dog from breaking. What you do is teach the dog that they always keep one eye on you and one on the bird. If you step back a step they should also step back as they are watching birds fly. I starting teaching her that at home that she is to heal no matter what. Than I took it to the field. For every bird I took one step back, and made sure she did to. I worked unitl it was automatic with her. I used it on honor several times since and it works great. She would do a bang up job on a master test then break on honor. She is now a HRC/ MH.

#14 ·
#10 ·
I have a nine year old nafc that broke twice while picking up a limit of doves on the first! It happens!!!! Im sure glad I never put too much pressure on him to take any desire away. I don't want to own a dog that is not on the edge of breaking all the time! Each of us has to choose our poison!
Chad

#11 ·
You need to try to build an environment in training that is similar to a test which can be hard to do by yourself. My dogs energy at a test was always so much higher then training. I started to blow a duck call in the truck on the way to the grounds. I then would blow the call while setting up, shoot my starter pistol off a ton while setting up. Then I would run the test and try to get her to break under a controlled environment.

My dog wouldn't move a muscle during training but she was a big creeper at tests. I would set up all breaking stuff the days leading to a test. I tended to lean more on a heeling stick then I did the collar but I would use both. I was never worried about ruining her drive she always had enough!

#19 ·
I also have a fire breather with a dam from Ram. My advise to you is scratch the Oct test and get into OB.
I won't run any more tests with mine until he is 110% steady.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.