The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Water issue shows up in 6 mo old pup

Default Water issue shows up in 6 mo old pup

Well, I got a dose of an issue I have never had in a pup. My Cosmo pup has been doing wonderful. She's just now at the 6 month mark. She does singles, doubles, and even did a water triple today with no problem. Ob is going great, hold is nice and ff will start next week.

Here's the issue:
    She loves the water. Has been picking up water marks with over 100 yd swims, land water land, and whatever I will throw at her. Her love for the water killed her training yesterday. I had a pair of hip pocket doubles set up on a hill above my small pond. I was well over 100 yds from the pond and running directly away from the pond.
    Got her out of the kennel headed to the line, she cocked her head and stared at the pond, the entire way to the mat. Got to the mat, bird boy on long left bird is signaled and starts to blow she looks out at the station then immediately flips her head back to the pond over her left shoulder. We had to walk out almost even with the short gun station to get her to focus on the long gun. Let her pick up that side as singles then returned to the mat thinking we had the issue taken care of. She immediately let her focus return to the pond, had to resort to same method to get her to focus on the long gun. ( long gun was 100/ short gun 50) She has been doing marking drills like this for almost 2 months and is doing an excellent job of marking. I think I created a monster.

Quote Originally Posted by BrettG View Post
    Well, I got a dose of an issue I have never had in a pup. My Cosmo pup has been doing wonderful. She's just now at the 6 month mark. She does singles, doubles, and even did a water triple today with no problem. Ob is going great, hold is nice and ff will start next week.

Here's the issue:
    She loves the water. Has been picking up water marks with over 100 yd swims, land water land, and whatever I will throw at her. Her love for the water killed her training yesterday. I had a pair of hip pocket doubles set up on a hill above my small pond. I was well over 100 yds from the pond and running directly away from the pond.
    Got her out of the kennel headed to the line, she cocked her head and stared at the pond, the entire way to the mat. Got to the mat, bird boy on long left bird is signaled and starts to blow she looks out at the station then immediately flips her head back to the pond over her left shoulder. We had to walk out almost even with the short gun station to get her to focus on the long gun. Let her pick up that side as singles then returned to the mat thinking we had the issue taken care of. She immediately let her focus return to the pond, had to resort to same method to get her to focus on the long gun. ( long gun was 100/ short gun 50) She has been doing marking drills like this for almost 2 months and is doing an excellent job of marking. I think I created a monster.
    No you haven't created a monster, you just have a dog that enjoys what she is doing...

I cant offer training advise, but I'll buy him if your more concerned with having an upland dog......
    "Women are like labradors...,they all have their quarks."~Phil Robertson

Slow down. Singles. Have your long gun wave his arms grab her attention. And yes move up!I am sure others will chime in! JMO
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray