The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Best Training Two Way Radio

Quote Originally Posted by EdA View Post
    For me the Motorola radios have very poor sound quality, Midlands are much better, I have the Midland GTX, about $60 per pair from Amazon
    I agree about the Motorolas. The sound quality drops considerably within just a couple hundred yards. I far prefer the Cobra CXR725 radios I have. I was working at a trial on grounds with hills, woods, open water, and heavy cover. I had no problem communicating with the judges using another radio of mine when I was about a mile away getting equipment.
    "When a good trainer stops learning about dogs, he stops being a good trainer." the late Gene Hill

"If you want to find out what kind of trainer you are, leave your transmitter in the truck." the late Rex Carr

http://www.earthbornholisticpetfood..../dog_formulas/

I'm sure you guys all know this, but if you are leaving your radios, transmitters, collars, etc. in your trucks or anywhere else in the heat the batteries are taking a real beating. I started to get much more battery life when I brought mine into the house instead of keeping them in the garage.
    Steve Wyatt

HR Belle's Rolling Big Rig "Jimmy"

Quote Originally Posted by RookieTrainer View Post
    I'm sure you guys all know this, but if you are leaving your radios, transmitters, collars, etc. in your trucks or anywhere else in the heat the batteries are taking a real beating. I started to get much more battery life when I brought mine into the house instead of keeping them in the garage.
    That is exactly how you get to a training day without radios. My question: Do they make a one way radio? My bird boy never shuts up. Easier to deal with no birds, miscues & running out of ducks than the constant chatter. My radios stay in the house & never make it to training days.
    Mark Land

Our club bought about 8 two packs of the higher end Midland GTX's about 3 years ago. I believe they were around $80 a pair and they've surprising not grown any legs during our 4 events we hold each year and they're all still rocking the original rechargeable battery packs. Very nice radios, water proof so if it rains they don't short out and they've taken quite a bit of abuse over the last couple years. I think out of all of them we've only had one stop working entirely.
    Cody's Gunslingin' Cosmonaut MH (Shooter)

On the rechargeable batteries be sure you are not getting Ni-Cad batteries they are junk and will last a day or so.

Spend a little extra $ and get the lithium rechargeable ones they last for a few weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by fishduck View Post
    That is exactly how you get to a training day without radios. My question: Do they make a one way radio? My bird boy never shuts up. Easier to deal with no birds, miscues & running out of ducks than the constant chatter. My radios stay in the house & never make it to training days.
    Well you DO have to remember to put them back in the truck. I have to keep mine with my collar and whistle, figuring that surely I won't forget all of that stuff. And you can remind me of this when it happens.

And please don't cut off that bird boy. He is a fine young man, and his commentary is usually priceless.
    Steve Wyatt

HR Belle's Rolling Big Rig "Jimmy"