The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scratch From Test

Default Scratch From Test

What is the proper procedure to take if a dog is injured a few days before a hunt test and will not be able to run? Can you get your money back?

I think a note from your vet would be needed, stating not to run him in a test. They should return you fee.
    The foundation to a great retriever is obedience.
    Firestorms Full Throttle Chevy aka Callie-Roo 7/5/2007 - 10/25/2013 I miss you every day
    Proud owner of Kona's Surfer Girl, aka Loki.

If the entries have closed, most will give you your money back (after they have checked EE to make sure you didn't run elsewhere ). They may require a letter from a vet. Contact the secretary and find out what they need.
    Last edited by DoubleHaul; 09-17-2013 at 02:36 PM.

You will get your entry fees refunded with the Vet note, minus the Entry Express fee. Be sure the note from the vet is written, identifying the dog by its registered name, and includes the owner name. It must be dated, and should really say something of the effect of "This dog should not have strenuous activity for X days"
    Brian & Jennifer Tucker
    Bennett, Colorado

Marks-A-Lot Babyface (2003 HR CH Marks A Lot Gangster QAA MNH CD WCX x Marks-A-Lot Call Me Cathy)

Marks-A-Lot Gangster's Midnite Star SH (2012 HR CH Marks A Lot Gangster QAA MNH CD WCX X Crabby Patty JH)

Dixie's Crimson Tide MH (Yup...a Golden!)

Marks-A-Lot's Irish Boy- AKA"The Pup"

Look in the premium for that hunt test. There should be a section that addresses injured dogs and dogs that come in season. You can also call the secretary and find out. You will find that contact information in the premium also. Some clubs will give a full refund on an injured dog and some charge a fee but you can recoup some of your entry.
    Jeannie Greenlee

Blazinlakes Legally Blonde CDX JH NAJ RA WC OD (1st Retriever)
    HRCH Smokingold Guns Up CCA WCX CD MH
    https://sites.google.com/site/smokingoldretrievers/home

If a dog is injured and there is a letter from the vet stating such, I believe the AKC rule is that the injured dog gets a 100% refund. However, a recent personal experience... the club withheld $20 from the refund.

I am reading here that at least one club deducts the Entry Express fee. How can they do that? EE gets the fee; it's their processing fee. The club receives only the entry money. How can they deduct from their scratch refund the EE processing fee?

AKC also has a processing fee for each dog ENTERED. If a dog is scratched, the clubs still have to pay the fee to AKC. Are there clubs out there deducting the AKC fee from the scratch refunds? This club treasurer sure would like to know what other clubs are doing with their scratch refunds.

Helen

Quote Originally Posted by helencalif View Post
    This club treasurer sure would like to know what other clubs are doing with their scratch refunds.
    This is one of those areas in the rules vs. practice things that I am sure Mr. Fallon loves. The rules say that entry fees must be refunded in full--no deductions for EE or AKC fees. I know of a club that was withholding AKC fees and one of the scratchers for a dog in season made an issue of it. Most folks seem to be willing to get a partial entry refund if you don't require a vet certificate as they are usually better off and understand that the club loses if they have to refund in full. The case I mentioned was one where the handler was trying to run the bitch in season, got called out and was pretty upset. Still, if you have a vet certificate and demand a full refund, the club does not have any room to hold back any of the entry fees.

I've had to scratch a couple of times. Both times were after the test closed.

If it is before the test closes, contact EE directly, after closing contact the hunt test secretary to find out what is required. When I scratched due to injury and not personal reasons, I had a vet's note and was received a refund minus EE's fee.
    Paula

HR Dixie's Southern Comfort IV, MH

“The beauty of the Second Amendment is it will not be needed until they try to take it.” - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by crawfordw2 View Post
    What is the proper procedure to take if a dog is injured a few days before a hunt test and will not be able to run? Can you get your money back?
    When in doubt check the rulebook:
    "Entry fees paid for a bitch withdrawn because of coming in season or for a dog
    withdrawn because of an injury or illness, or for a dog that dies, shall be refunded in full by the test-giving club. Prior
    to paying such refund, the club may require an appropriate veterinary certificate. In the event a dog is withdrawn for
    other reasons, the test-giving club is free to formulate its own policy with reference to refunds provided that
    said policy shall be fixed in advance of the mailing of the premium list for any particular Test".
    Tom Dorroh

The EE fee, best I understand is a procesing fee is for the credit card processing... It's a few dollars... that you agree to when you enter... As far as I know, I recieved a 100% entry fee reimbursement, but not the EE fee. I wasnt bothered by it, and was actually impressed that I got my entry fee back... Mt dog had a pretty severe injury the week of the test, needing IV antibiotics, a vet stay, and sutures....

You guys dont know how good you have it... try getting out of a rodeo due to an injured horse...LOL
    Last edited by Moose Mtn; 09-17-2013 at 05:01 PM.
    Brian & Jennifer Tucker
    Bennett, Colorado

Marks-A-Lot Babyface (2003 HR CH Marks A Lot Gangster QAA MNH CD WCX x Marks-A-Lot Call Me Cathy)

Marks-A-Lot Gangster's Midnite Star SH (2012 HR CH Marks A Lot Gangster QAA MNH CD WCX X Crabby Patty JH)

Dixie's Crimson Tide MH (Yup...a Golden!)

Marks-A-Lot's Irish Boy- AKA"The Pup"